Large Collars

Thanks very much for the suggestions :) I should mention that I'm dealing with an extremely intelligent and strong bitch that will open up cheap rings, snap plastic and undo anything else by rubbing it the right way on a tree/fence/brick work as soon as your back is turned :eek: Failing collars are not conducive to solid training. Poor quality collars caused this issue in the first place.

It's really very difficult to buy anything leather online without being able to feel the quality of it, isn't it? I did like the look of the "no frills" collar by Ruthless Leather but for $135 I can't even see a mention what type of leather they are or even a picture of the buckle. Call me stingy but I have bridles with a lot more quality leather and workmanship in them than this and they don't seem good value in comparison. These look the part I suppose but the k9pro leather ones seem more "transparent online shopping experience" to me. Call me sceptical.

All suggestions very much appreciated. I am not much of an online shopper.

I have 2 Ruthless collars and leads and both exceeded my expectations by miles. One flat collar for just cruising around town and one martingale training collar.

I have a normal lead to go with the flat collar and the longer training lead (that you can change to 3 different lengths).

Training Collar

8230940821_0c9ea62a08.jpg

Zigs new collar 11.12 by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Flat Collar

7299299246_4ff9fb6a86.jpg

IMG_0239 by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Let me assure you they are made tough from the loveliest leather - it is soft and very strong.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of the k9pro collars and leads. I especially love the leads, have been using them for years; I've got other leads which might be considered 'prettier' with more embellishments and things, but I always reach for the K9pro leads because they're just divine to touch, classic and strong.

I admit I have looked piningly at the Ruthless collars, but considering that my lot are idiots who ruin everything, I can't justify the price. A few months back I bought a collar from K9 pro, cannot recommend them enough. The leather is so soft and pliable, yet very strong, and after months of being worn by the stupidest dog I've got (I love her, but she's really not very bright) it still looks great. Could do with a clean, but it's not k9pro's fault my dogs like to roll in mud and poop. :)

The dog in question is only around 30kg so far and a husky-type build, I thought the collar might be too skinny to suit her, but it's actually perfect. I got one of the seconds, and the "flaws" were ridiculous. There was I think 2 tiny marks on the leather, and even then, they weren't large or noticable, honestly if I didn't go looking for them I wouldn't have known they were there.

In short, highly recommend k9pro :)

If it helps any disintegratus, Zig swims in his collar nearly every day. He rolls in the mud, digs, scratches and does all the doggie stuff that staffs do.

I clean it every couple of weeks and use the leather conditioner on it as well - sometimes I do it once a month (shh don't tell Ruth)..

Both of Zig's collars and leads, still look brand new. The leads are so soft in your hand and strong - Zig is a puller on lead and gives them (and me) a mighty workout sometimes.

I will never buy anything other than Ruthless leather now I have it.

Still pondering one of their gorgeous harnesses - or a new collar in red and aged brass..

There is loads to choose from and they customise as well.

Staffyluv have you got any photos of what the collars and leashes look like now after a bit of wear and tear?

There are couple of photos of a worn Ruthless Leather collar on my webpage.

That dog lives on a farm, and wears it all the time. Swims in it and runs through bush.

In the pics the buckle is a bit undone as I took it off to look at the collar and didnt put it on back correctly

MonElite Dobermanns

Edited by MonElite

My three in "Karmacollars.com".

Handmade to order, guaranteed for life, top quality leather and fittings.

I have had mine for age's and they swim in them everyday and they are still perfect.

All 3 cost me less then $200 delivered. :)

post-3531-0-12082900-1368598442_thumb.png

I am super paranoid like you.

My girl is naked at home ( coated breed) but for walkies we use a greyhound box/track lead.

It's apollo strapping, solid as anything and it's all one unit. leash and collar attached so no worrying about the snap coming undone.

And I reckon I got change from $30 when I bought it

My ears were burning :laugh:

I'm pretty sure under the FAQs it says that all the leather we use is premium bridle leather. I could be wrong though, it's several years since I wrote it! If you have any concerns about the hardware feel free to email me. I wasn't trying to hide anything with trick photography. The buckles and d-rings are all stainless steel or solid brass. All our products have a ten year guarantee also.

There are squillions more photos on our Facebook page > http://www.facebook.com/ruthlessleather

Thanks very much for the suggestions :) I should mention that I'm dealing with an extremely intelligent and strong bitch that will open up cheap rings, snap plastic and undo anything else by rubbing it the right way on a tree/fence/brick work as soon as your back is turned :eek: Failing collars are not conducive to solid training. Poor quality collars caused this issue in the first place.

It's really very difficult to buy anything leather online without being able to feel the quality of it, isn't it? I did like the look of the "no frills" collar by Ruthless Leather but for $135 I can't even see a mention what type of leather they are or even a picture of the buckle. Call me stingy but I have bridles with a lot more quality leather and workmanship in them than this and they don't seem good value in comparison. These look the part I suppose but the k9pro leather ones seem more "transparent online shopping experience" to me. Call me sceptical.

All suggestions very much appreciated. I am not much of an online shopper.

I own K9 Pro Leather and Ruthless Leather, I have taken some photos so you can see the difference in leather and hardware.

The bottom two are K9 Pro the top two are Ruthless.

post-47335-0-57793100-1368746862_thumb.jpg

post-47335-0-45733000-1368746868_thumb.jpg

post-47335-0-59616300-1368746905_thumb.jpg

post-47335-0-45454900-1368746908_thumb.jpg

I bought K9 Pro initally after everyone raved about them saying it was the best leather ever. IMO it is the best leather $40 can buy.

You get what you pay for. I wanted better so I ended up ordering Ruthless ones as well and am very happy with them.

You will have to have some sort of 'studs' with a leather collar to hold the leather together, the difference is the K9Pro ones are only double leather at the end with the buckle where as the Ruthless ones are double leather the entire way for extra strength.

Originally I was only going to put the Ruthless collars on for special outings to protect them but now they are on them most of the time cos I love them so much, I think they are holding up very well. Athena's has the aged brass treatment on the hardware so it will show scratches more but I don't mind, I knew that when I ordered it as it is clrealy stated on the website.