What Is The Definition Of Rescue?

I am needing to know what people's definition of a rescue or shelter is in a clear definition. What also separates a breeder that takes in their own breed as a rescue too.

Any opinions are gratefully received and I would appreciate as much detail as possible

You probably also need to be state specific. In Victoria there is a very clear definition between rescue and shelters and a Code that covers shelters but not community fostercare networks or other rescue groups.

You probably also need to be state specific. In Victoria there is a very clear definition between rescue and shelters and a Code that covers shelters but not community fostercare networks or other rescue groups.

Yes but what if there was a code that may need to cover all, have you got a link to the Vic codes so that I can start researching? Is there COP's for community fostercare networks or other rescue groups or are they not regulated?

Thanks for your replies :)

There is no code to cover all in victoria. There is a mandatory code of practice for the Management of Shelters and Pounds. There is a mandatory Code for domestic animal business that covers rescue groups that use kennel facilities to house their animals and I imagine this would cover some breed specific rescues running off breed clubs.. There is no mandatory Code for community foster care networks or rescue groups that are not DABS

Each state will be different.

If you go here www.mdba.net.au up the top to join now we have developed various codes of conduct for rescue and foster carers.

Not as easy as it sounds as there are varying perceptions and philosophies of what that may mean and its why you get lots of conflict in how its done by various groups. Probably most agree its about saving an animal from a distressing or stressful situation but where the problems show are in the definition of distressing or stressful.

Some groups like PR believe any thing is better than death and there is a ground swell of where saving and rescuing means saving from being euthanised - others think that its about the quality of life no point in saving it if it lives the rest of a life of less than it should. Some have different views on what is a good life with some groups believing they should all run free and never be "used" by humans. Some would see the need to save it if it was never walked around the block , or if it didnt get much human company , if its being bred or if it sleeps outside. Some will compromise on almost anything to save the dog and not consider it an issue to put the dog , the family or community at risk as long as they "save" the dog from death row or from what they consider a life of misery. Everything that happens to the dog - including breeding it or warehousing it for them is better than dead.

All of these will fight because they believe they are right so in our case we had to work out what we thought was right and develop a code of ethics to enable us to gather a group of like minded people and groups and thats outside of any laws because its about motivations and ethics. Not saying that other ethics and motivations are wrong but they are not all the same.

So the definition of rescue is the easy bit defining what an animal should be rescued from and at what cost is more complicated.

Edited by Steve

If you go here www.mdba.net.au up the top to join now we have developed various codes of conduct for rescue and foster carers.

what the MDBA develops or thinks of things is not the law or the current code which is what the OP wants.

Oh OK I thought she wanted a definition and opinions - a start point for research - there are no laws or COP to cover most of it so if that's what its about its going to be a short topic.

what the MDBA develops or thinks of things is not the law or the current code which is what the OP wants.

Oh OK I thought she wanted a definition and opinions - a start point for research - there are no laws or COP to cover most of it so if that's what its about its going to be a short topic.

The OP asked for peoples opinions and peoples definitions, not legal definitions initially .

Edited by minimax

Thanks everyone yes I am looking at opinions/defintitions and a pointer for current state legislations especially what is the clear difference between a rescue group (including shelter and foster homes) and registered breeders that breed rescue

Why would there need to be a difference between a rescue group (as generally understood) and a breeder who does breed-specific rescue? Unless you're of the "all breeders are evil spawns of Satan" rescue ilk, I can't see a lot of difference, apart from the fact that breed rescues often get a lot of support from their breed clubs (like the mighty Stafford Rescue in Victoria).

Most state governments have legislation which covers shelters (so in Victoria the Code of Practice for Pounds and Shelters), but not so much for rescue groups. The Victorian legislation around community foster care networks is a bit vague when you look at it closely. Most Victorian animal welfare legislation tends to be like that though, lots of nitpicking detail and not much substance.

Perhaps if you explained the context in which you need a definition we'd be more successful in coming up with some definitions?

Thanks everyone yes I am looking at opinions/defintitions and a pointer for current state legislations especially what is the clear difference between a rescue group (including shelter and foster homes) and registered breeders that breed rescue

No I am not of the breeders are spawn rescue ilk, actually I find that amusing when inferring I would be one of them. I am looking at what the definition would be if a code was put together that included shelters and rescues but not registered breeders, what I am trying to ask is what makes the two different? What is a shelter or rescue group including foster caring? SA laws are currently minimal to non existant when it comes to shelters and rescues and I am wondering what defines them

The simple difference between rescue groups and shelters in Victoria is a premises for the purpose of rehoming animals. A rescue group uses a network of foster carers, a shelter has a physical place of business maintained for that purpose.

The simple difference between rescue groups and shelters in Victoria is a premises for the purpose of rehoming animals. A rescue group uses a network of foster carers, a shelter has a physical place of business maintained for that purpose.

Thank you :) rescuing is not new but new in comparison to other states as the two big shelters have been the major rescue groups so to speak and it is interesting trying to define what they are

Thank you :) rescuing is not new but new in comparison to other states as the two big shelters have been the major rescue groups so to speak and it is interesting trying to define what they are

O.K. I get what you are looking for now

I have a code of practice which was introduced for SA in 2003 and adopted as policy -covers all of it for shelters and pounds etc it goes out as a part of our rescue course no website address but Ill keep looking as it must be on the net somewhere for now I need to send it via an attachment as it wont load here either

Say where and what address and Ill send it through for you