Positive Punishment?

smashtank

Bear in mind this is a young puppy in an apartment. There's no back yard to tire him out, and he doesn't have all his shots so its not safe to take him to the park yet.

Unfortunately :(

he can, however be harness/collar/lead trained inside ..and taken on car rides , carry tours of outside ...so he gets to see/smell /hear the world :)

Training can and should include toileting on command , grooming procedures, giving medication (using small pieces of treats) , Swap (giving up toys/contraband because he WANTS to get a reward ;) )

Eating after permission is given ...

All sorts of things like this .. done in 5 minute grabs during the day will provide him with good mental exercise .

For the physical, AND mental fun .. get him a soccer ball, and partly deflate it ... so he can chase it , chew it , jump on it, growl at it ...wrestle it :D

I second chewy things like deer antler !

I'm teaching Nacho to wait for permission to eat (Moose does it perfectly) but it's so funny watching the uncontained puppy excitement when you approach with the bowl. So far we've gotten to the stage where he automatically sits (while still wiggling furiously) as I lower the bowl but still working on the control to wait. :)

I'm totally failing at toilet training. He pees everywhere. I try and grab him all the time but its tough. I play with him lots to try and wear him out.

I have trained him to sit. I guess I can start with some more training. I take him outside for walks in my arms all the time. And he likes the car.

Sorry - first time puppy owner! I know I'll stuff a few things up but I'm trying to do my best for him and for us.

Thanks for all the advice - I really do appreciate it.

I'm totally failing at toilet training. He pees everywhere. I try and grab him all the time but its tough. I play with him lots to try and wear him out.

I have trained him to sit. I guess I can start with some more training. I take him outside for walks in my arms all the time. And he likes the car.

Sorry - first time puppy owner! I know I'll stuff a few things up but I'm trying to do my best for him and for us.

The aim with toilet training is to take him to his toileting place and make him stay there until he goes, if you wait until you see him go he will keep peeing everywhere. And toilet training without a backyard is a billion times yarder, as it's not natural for them.

But breathe, he's only a baby!

The aim with toilet training is to take him to his toileting place and make him stay there until he goes, if you wait until you see him go he will keep peeing everywhere. And toilet training without a backyard is a billion times yarder, as it's not natural for them.

But breathe, he's only a baby!

I try that but he just plonks down or chews me or claws the puppy pad...hehe crazy kid. Can't wait to get him outside once morning, one evening. He has so much energy!!

If you can get one of those pens it might help. By being able to keep him in a contained area while training or unsupervised the pad will be always close at paw if he needs it.

That's what has worked for me.

Could you have him onlead when he is awake? That way he can't wander off and piddle somewhere. This really worked with Flynn, and you have the added bonus that he can't chew anything! I probably had him onlead for the first month, I think he only had 2 accidents in the house and they were my fault.

Have you tried a puppy loo with fake grass? He might find that easier to distinguish between the floor and his toilet. Cheap places like Sam's warehouse sometimes sells them, or you could make your own with a tile (or four) of fake grass from Bunnings with pee pads underneath?

You need to load the game in your favour. Give him a big drink of water then play with him for 20 minutes and nothing surer he is going to need to go. Take him off to a designated place and reward him heaps when he goes.

Yep, load it in you favor is right, feed him, make sure he drinks allot then take him outside for a few games, not long after that he will want to pee and poop, and he will do it outside, after a while it will be natural and it will sink in that "outside is where I do my business"

Regulate the food intake and in turn it will regulate the business outtake :D which will make life allot easier for you to train where the dog should be doing his business :D

But remember he is a baby and baby's have accidents, don't be disheartened if he makes a mess while you are out, if you can contain him in an area where there is food in one corner, a place to pee in another and his bed in another then it will segregate the area's for him and as long as the area where the business is done is natural for him he will eventually start going there on his own to pee, when he does it right make sure to praise him and maybe even a treat (but wait till he is finished, try not to interrupt them while they are doing it, can confuse them :) )

Edited by JackC

Yay! Got him up once in the night and forced him to stay on his pee pad until he peed. Kept saying 'go toilet' and then praised heaps. Same story when I got him up at 6:15 this morning :thumbsup:

Re stopping him being naughty, he seems to respond to two load claps and 'no'. Do I praise when he stops? I also try and get his rope or another toy so he can chew something else.

What do you guys mean by collar train? Is that just putting on his collar and getting him used to it? He doesn't like it much - scratches it. I put it on when he was sleeping.

Bear in mind this is a young puppy in an apartment. There's no back yard to tire him out, and he doesn't have all his shots so its not safe to take him to the park yet.

Unfortunately :(

he can, however be harness/collar/lead trained inside ..and taken on car rides , carry tours of outside ...so he gets to see/smell /hear the world :)

Training can and should include toileting on command , grooming procedures, giving medication (using small pieces of treats) , Swap (giving up toys/contraband because he WANTS to get a reward ;) )

Eating after permission is given ...

All sorts of things like this .. done in 5 minute grabs during the day will provide him with good mental exercise .

For the physical, AND mental fun .. get him a soccer ball, and partly deflate it ... so he can chase it , chew it , jump on it, growl at it ...wrestle it :D

I second chewy things like deer antler !

Absolutely, lots of things to do indoors!

I was responding to the post about teaching "outdoors is for playing, indoors is for calming down" difference.