Dog Attack In Brisbane - Toddler In Hospital

arjay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So often the dog in these cases belongs to the uncle and is being minded by the grandparents. It is a recipe for disaster for the uncle to own a tough sort of dog that is not raised with kids, get the grandparents to mind the dog who is probably fine with them but they don't think about the fact that they haven't raised the dog and do not really know what it is like with children. The end result is a child scarred physically and mentally for life, a dead dog and severely traumatised family all round.

When I was working as a Pet Educator I was careful to point out to kids that the "angry dog" they encounter may not be one on the street but one belonging to neighbour or a relative such as a grandparent or uncle.

Wonder how the first bloke's dog died if it was only tethered to a fence?

Sounds like only half the story with that one.

I hope the kid is OK :( .

You are referring to a different incident on the Gold Coast where a man tried to break up a dog fight involving his own two Bull Terriers when they attacked another dog. His own dogs then turned on him and he was taken to hospital. It was reported that one of his dogs was tethered to a tree after the attack and strangled itself. What was interesting in the news report was that the reporter referred to the dogs as "pitbulls" when they were clearly Bull Terriers. They obviously do not have a clue about dog breeds. I don't care for the bull breeds myself but I really wish the reporters would at least try to make some effort to correctly identify the breed involved - just lazy reporting IMO.

Guest donatella

Yes

Are you sure about that? We got dog bites in for surgical repair all the time and nowhere was the hospital involved in it's reporting :confused:

Guest donatella

The local radio station has this dog on their Facebook page today asking people "should you get rid of your big dog when you have children?".

Oh dear

Edited by donatella

The local radio station has this dog on their Facebook page today asking people "should you get rid of your big dog when you have children?".

Oh dear

Oh FFS. *eye roll*

Oh dear

Oh FFS. *eye roll*

I hope our Mayor's comment yesterday has nothing to do with this. Such a ridiculous question, my son owns a Great Dane (VERY large breed) and she is a very gentle girl.

This has everything to do with how dogs are trained (or not trained) and nothing to do with the breed!

I also was of the belief that any dog bites where reported by the hospital the person was initially treated by.

When I took a vet nurse in to have her rather deep bite wounds treated they asked what had happened where and breed.

We did explain the dog was trying to die at the time and therefore was panicking

Guest donatella

That would have been for their notes, getting a full history of the accident. Who would report if the hospital did? Doctors don't do it, nurses dont do it, i've never seen a form and unless the data is taken from the notes I am stumped.

I have never seen a doctor report a dog bite and used to see many. I could be wrong :shrug:

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

Well not all dog bites go to hospital either so they wouldn't be accurate statistics.

I think someone needs to actually report the bite to the council.

Wonder how the first bloke's dog died if it was only tethered to a fence?

Sounds like only half the story with that one.

I hope the kid is OK :( .

You are referring to a different incident on the Gold Coast where a man tried to break up a dog fight involving his own two Bull Terriers when they attacked another dog. His own dogs then turned on him and he was taken to hospital. It was reported that one of his dogs was tethered to a tree after the attack and strangled itself. What was interesting in the news report was that the reporter referred to the dogs as "pitbulls" when they were clearly Bull Terriers. They obviously do not have a clue about dog breeds. I don't care for the bull breeds myself but I really wish the reporters would at least try to make some effort to correctly identify the breed involved - just lazy reporting IMO.

Cheers

Sounds like they don't know the difference between a fence and a tree either :/ . You're pretty spot on about lazy reporting.

A lot of dog bites don't need hospitalization so a lot does go unreported. A lot of people also don't seek medical attention if it was their own dog.

Where people are given privileges, people will abuse those privileges :( .

Interesting I wonder how they get dog bite statistics - I am going to find out now it has peaked my interest!!

AFAIK in the US, all dog bites need to be reported by hospitals/medical practitioners. This is because the rabies status of the dog in question needs to be established. If the dog is not UTD with rabies shots, it has to be kept in quarantine for 14 days.

Maybe its done in Emergency when they present? That would make sense I guess.

Surely if it's a significant attack someone ( police or local council) would be notified - Emergency dept. the most likely.