Coursing Club For Adelaide

I've repeated searched for a lure coursing club in Adelaide for Sighthounds and bigger dogs. It seems that there are plenty of people interested so I'm looking for others to help,start a club. I've never done this before but I'm over having nowhere to take my hounds coursing. I want to take it on as a serious sport but the only place is Brisbane and I can't afford to travel there every weekend. So who's interested?

OutofsightHound

Anyone can book the course at Virginia through the greyhound association for a day of lure coursing at $4 per run... It's great fun. There is a whole thread about it - note the opening poster doesn't post here any more that I know of but I think there is sufficient info on there to find the right guy to contact...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/226484-lure-coursing-in-adelaide-for-non-greyhounds/

And if you post in here or in the social events part of the forum there are about 10 to 20 of us and dogs that will go out to Virginia for a run.

It's important to make sure we don't clash with greyhound training tho.

I'd love to give the course in Virginia a run with Bella if there's going to be a DOL meetup there.

It's a shame that there's nowhere here to do 'proper' lure coursing, it's something that I'd love to do seriously if it were ever possible.

Edited by salukibel

I'd love to give the course in Virginia a run with Bella if there's going to be a DOL meetup there.

It's a shame that there's nowhere here to do 'proper' lure coursing, it's something that I'd love to do seriously of it were ever possible.

That's what I'd love to start doing! QLD has a great coursing club, they have comps and plenty of categories for terriers, sight hounds and even mutts. Points can be earned towards titles and there is even a title combining show and coursing points.

http://www.qldlurecoursing.com/index.php

Oh cool! I didn't know there was an actual competition/organisation in Qld. I've been to a couple that have been held by the Stafford Club of Qld.

Might have to look into this further. Book did really well at the last one!

Oh cool! I didn't know there was an actual competition/organisation in Qld. I've been to a couple that have been held by the Stafford Club of Qld.

Lisey

Our next day is at Kuraby on the 16th June. To enter email the race secretary (on the website above) and come along and join us and have a lot of fun.

It seems to be a club with not a lot of bitching involved and everyone there to just have fun with their dogs.

There's already some staffys involved, who do quite well.:)

Edited cause the phone wouldn't let me swear and what it auto corrected too, didn't make a lot of sense.

Edited by DobieMum

Lisey

Our next day is at Kuraby on the 16th June. To enter email the race secretary (on the website above) and come along and join us and have a lot of fun.

It seems to be a club with not a lot of bitching involved and everyone there to just have fun with their dogs.

There's already some staffys involved, who do quite well.:)

Edited cause the phone wouldn't let me swear and what it auto corrected too, didn't make a lot of sense.

Thanks DobieMum :D I'll definitely look into it!

He was pretty keen for it last time - he actually got fastest dog of the day against all the other Staffords!

ETA - sorry to go a bit off topic OP

Edited by Lisey

If you are on FB check out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218177498309440/

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409922935745891/

These are both groups working on getting lure coursing for Sighthounds recognised by the ANKC.

I wonder if you changed the status of these pages so people can "like" them. you could also then put up photos to get more attention. People love photos. If the pages can be liked I'll like them on behalf of our little club, the Yarra Valley Whippet Social Racing Club. Our facebook page here.My link You'd be amazed how many people have found out about us since we created a facebook page and started posting photos.

What about if you start a facebook page calling for expressions of interest in forming a club, just as you've done here, start spreading the word. Form your core committee and take it from there.

When we started our club we didn't use the internet, (apart from DOL) we put ads in the paper, also got an article written about us in the local rag, put flyers up in vets, feed stores, anywhere we thought people and whippets would see it. I even put posts up here on DOL. We were absolutely amazed how many people turned up to our first fun day, before we'd even become a club. I think we had well over 100 people. At that day we asked people by way of a form, if they would like to have a racing club, and the rest is history.

Edited by Kirislin

If you are on FB check out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218177498309440/

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409922935745891/

These are both groups working on getting lure coursing for Sighthounds recognised by the ANKC.

I wonder if you changed the status of these pages so people can "like" them. you could also then put up photos to get more attention. People love photos. If the pages can be liked I'll like them on behalf of our little club, the Yarra Valley Whippet Social Racing Club. Our facebook page here.My link You'd be amazed how many people have found out about us since we created a facebook page and started posting photos.

Apart from being a member I have nothing to do with the running of the QLD club page.

The Sighthound Lure coursing page was started to try to get like minded people discussing getting Lure Coursing recognised by the ANKC. It is not really about forming clubs etc. It also isn't aimed at the general public, but more at sighthound enthusiasts. :)

When we look at lure coursing starting a club in NSW we will then create a club page with photos and video.

What about if you start a facebook page calling for expressions of interest in forming a club, just as you've done here, start spreading the word. Form your core committee and take it from there.

When we started our club we didn't use the internet, (apart from DOL) we put ads in the paper, also got an article written about us in the local rag, put flyers up in vets, feed stores, anywhere we thought people and whippets would see it. I even put posts up here on DOL. We were absolutely amazed how many people turned up to our first fun day, before we'd even become a club. I think we had well over 100 people. At that day we asked people by way of a form, if they would like to have a racing club, and the rest is history.

We already have a core group of people who meet over the cooler months to do lure coursing. When we look at offially starting a club we will look at way's of encouraging membership.

That's what I'm trying to do as I'm no longer looking at this as fun. I'm actually going to get an afghan bitch from a racing kennel OS. Currently I have to keep travelling to Queensland to get a serious day out. I'm not interested in fun days anymore I want to get serious about it

That's what I'm trying to do as I'm no longer looking at this as fun. I'm actually going to get an afghan bitch from a racing kennel OS. Currently I have to keep travelling to Queensland to get a serious day out. I'm not interested in fun days anymore I want to get serious about it

I'd love to see photos of her!

I've repeated searched for a lure coursing club in Adelaide for Sighthounds and bigger dogs. It seems that there are plenty of people interested so I'm looking for others to help,start a club. I've never done this before but I'm over having nowhere to take my hounds coursing. I want to take it on as a serious sport but the only place is Brisbane and I can't afford to travel there every weekend. So who's interested?

What about the people who are already interested. Maybe that's where to start. Contact other clubs and see if they can offer advice and support. Good luck with it.

What about the people who are already interested. Maybe that's where to start. Contact other clubs and see if they can offer advice and support. Good luck with it.

I'm thinking of contacting the Hound club as OS its a serious sport. They have been a few fun races put on by various coursing clubs in the middle of the Greyhound races, but it would be great to see sight hounds other than Gerys at the Oval track racing. On my last trip to Europe I saw oval track racing with whippets Borzoi and Afghans and other Sighthounds and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!