Wanting To Start Showing My Pedigree Amstaff

SinAmstaff

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired an 18m old Pedigree Amstaff. I would really like to start showing,

Is he too old to learn? He's had obedience training earlier in his life, but I need to teach him to heal as he is a puller on the lead.

I was thinking I should join my local kennel club too, is there any other helpful resources?

any other helpful resources?

Discuss with his breeder :) He or she should be able to tell you if your dog is suitable for the show ring, as not all are. Some have minor faults which don't effect their ability to be a loving pet, but may exclude them from showing. He also needs to be on main reg as Haredown mentioned, and entire.

Certainly not too old to start a show career!

After getting the Main/Limit reg sorted your best bet would probably be contact the Amstaff club in your state and see if there are any breeders/showies near you who might be able to give you some pointers in person. Most main cities/big towns have show training classes for all breeds so this is another good resource.

Hi thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't think I'll have much luck with his kennels, apparently his prev owner had a hard time trying to get his papers, even tho he spent $2500 on him and they said he come with them. After a few month of liasing and chasing up he finally go them.(he is in main register)

As I would like to eventually get into breeding I was advised to ask his breeder what health testing they do, his dam was ataxia clear as it says on their site, but says nothing about the sure other than how muscly he is :/. I have yet to receive a reply from the breeder :(

I think Albury Dog Club has show training classes. There are 3 shows at Thurgoona in August, usually a group of us set up together. Even if your dog's paperwork is not sorted out you are welcome to bunk in with us anyway and we can help you learn some stuff.

Rebanne oh that sounds lovely, his paperwork is sorted I have his papers it just took his prev owner ages to get them when he received him as a puppy, the breeder was being difficult and tried to ask for another $500.

I would love to get involved with the dog club, how do I do that and do you know the prices of classes?

Rebanne oh that sounds lovely, his paperwork is sorted I have his papers it just took his prev owner ages to get them when he received him as a puppy, the breeder was being difficult and tried to ask for another $500.

I would love to get involved with the dog club, how do I do that and do you know the prices of classes?

Eames St, Albury NSW 2640

Phone number(02) 6023 3569

I think training is on Tuesday nights, no idea of costs though.

also if you are on Facebook you could join this group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/OzShowNewbies/

Eames St, Albury NSW 2640

Phone number(02) 6023 3569

I think training is on Tuesday nights, no idea of costs though.

also if you are on Facebook you could join this group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/OzShowNewbies/

Oh thank you so much for the link, I am on facebook, have just posted in there. I will contack Alb kennel club tommorrow and enquire, how exciting. Do you attned training too?

Yep Tuesday is when Kennel Club obedience is on - maybe PM Morsha on here and she might be able to give you some details. They don't always have show training classes unless people specifically require them so give them a call.

Hi thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't think I'll have much luck with his kennels, apparently his prev owner had a hard time trying to get his papers, even tho he spent $2500 on him and they said he come with them. After a few month of liasing and chasing up he finally go them.(he is in main register)

As I would like to eventually get into breeding I was advised to ask his breeder what health testing they do, his dam was ataxia clear as it says on their site, but says nothing about the sure other than how muscly he is :/. I have yet to receive a reply from the breeder :(

I'd try contacting the breeder anyway - you only know one side of the story so maybe they're actually really good to deal with?

I've not heard of them, but from what I read & seen, I'm not sure they are breeding to the ANKC standard, but to their personal taste. Not saying they're bad, just that your boy may be very different to what is being shown.

It's a shame you're not in Vic, we have some big Terrier shows this weekend, and the Am Staff specialty show is on Saturday. It would be a great opportunity to meet & talk to breeders and see what their dogs look like.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who truly cares about the long term future of the breed and what they are actually breeding, is not going to call their kennel "Brutal Bullies". What a twit *roll eyes violently*