To Clip Or Not To Clip

My recently adopted poodle x is a little matted, mostly around the neck where her collar is and on her legs. It's lots of little matts and not too bad. I would like to clip her but I'm not sure if it would be best to leave her until the weather gets a bit warmer (which could be December) and maintain her coat the way it is or get it over and done with early so she can grow out a nice lovely coat.

I'm mostly concerned about her being cold during the day as the dogs are outside. In the evenings she's inside where it's nice and warm and sleeps on a bean bag.

I haven't got any coats or jumpers for her yet as she's never worn one before, I attempted to put Collie's thunder shirt on her and she suddenly turned into a status of herself.

Anyway would love to hear what other people think. To clip or not to clip?

When I put the thundershirt on her my partner said 'well clearly you have it too tight' as all her hair was compressed so she looked a lot smaller, although i proved him wrong by putting my hand very easily between the thundershirt and her back :p. It's much too big for her as it was bought for the 16kg Cocker not a 9kg Poodle x

But yes I would imagine a woolly jumper in her size would be a much better option. :)

My rescue Bichon was matted to hell when we first got him... It all had to come off. Matts can make them uncomfortable, but more than that, on dogs with sensitive skin (particularly a poodle cross), it creates all kinds of irritations. :) You don't have to go obscenely short, either, depending where the matts are and how close to the skin they are. I think it would be worth consulting a groomer first, but it sounds like you should clip and invest in a lined Weatherbeeta sheepskin rug or similar.

does anyone clip their own dogs? I won't try it with Sarah to start with as she probably hasn't been done in awhile but longer term having 2 dogs that will need to be clipped every few months I'm thinking it will be a lot more cost effective to buy a decent set of pet clipper and do it myself.

I've looked at a couple of you tube videos and it doesn't look too hard but they all had the table and noose which I'm thinking is easier than the bathroom floor.

I clip my own. Both get filthy all the time so it isn't worth letting the hair grow out, and paralysis ticks are a problem here as well. I bought a Wahl initially while I was learning the ropes, but it wasn't heavy duty enough for regular clips. The first year I practised on Carl was messy; he walked around with half-finished cuts while I was learning. :laugh: Then I invested in a pair of Andis clippers. They're great and clipping is (mostly) happy fun times now :)

Take her to a good groomer.if the matts aren't bad chances are they can brush them out .

If it requires clipping you can leave the coat longer when the matts aren't bad.

If you wait till December it isn't fair on the dog at all unless you are going to brush the matts out.

Matts hurt & depending on where they are pull when they walk & cause the dog all sorts of unnecessary pain.A shorter coat is better than matts & it will grow back quickly .

As for coats don't use one unless you are prepared to brush the dog already this week as a groomer we are dealing with matted messes from owners putting coats on & not brushing & putting coats on that are jumper style & matt the coat awfully .As a groomer we dread this time of year

Clip and rug. I'm no fan of jumpers - I think they speed the matting. A decent dog coat is a better option.

I clip my own poodles. It's expensive to get properly set up but way cheaper than professional grooming. However most people I know who've aimed to clip their own dogs end up returning to the professionals. It's not easy getting the hang of it and it is time consuming when you're learning.

I think your average pet clippers (one fixed blade) are next to useless. You're way better off investing in a decent set of clippers and remember that when your dogs are clipped at the groomers, they are washed and blow dried straight to get a decent finish. You also need to do the hygiene clipping with a closer blade than the coat gets.

Personally I find every 8 weeks to be the maximum I'd leave a dog - and its easier if you do it more often.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks for the reply's. I'll see if I can get her clipped this weekend. I'm thinking I'll get a mobile groomer that way I can watch them do it and get some subtle tips for doing it myself.

Happy to spend the time learning as I'm getting married next year, it's an amazing motivator for saving anyway you can :p

and I'll start with a jumper as it's lighter and more flexible but of course I will be happy to brush her more frequently. A friend posted a pic of her poodle x cavalier on facebook last night with a beautiful fluffy coat so that's the goal :)

I'm in ringwood, called a few places today but everyone seems booked out for tomorrow. I would have thought given the long weekend that someone would have a free appointment slot. Gonna call one place in mitcham again tomorrow morning as they apparently get the odd cancellation

Being a long week end I would think they would be booked out. Everyone seems to want things done on weekends and holidays as they leave it till the last minute.

Good luck with getting her done.

Yep. Tends to be the way. I find that the week leading into a holiday period, everyone wants things done.

I'm in ringwood, called a few places today but everyone seems booked out for tomorrow. I would have thought given the long weekend that someone would have a free appointment slot. Gonna call one place in mitcham again tomorrow morning as they apparently get the odd cancellation

If they're an established business they'll be booked out weeks in advance. Most groomers have people on a permanent cycle booked in, just so that the client can be guaranteed an appointment.

Managed to squeeze Sarah into the groomers around the corner, she's soooooo fluffy :D

Glad I did it, and now she'll be all pretty and soft when she meets my mum who's coming to stay this week

Before and After

post-49536-0-98691600-1370676848_thumb.jpg