Dogo Argentino

bullaroo

Band breeds will trash your house, jump on the bed and throw your television out the window, they're reknowned for it, especially the long haired varieties. Wouldn't recommend getting one to be honest.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also band breeds will attract groupies, hordes of squealing, Bieber t-shirted tragics thrusting autograph books at you everytime you venture out into public. Most of us don't want this, but I suspect some, like Aidan might find it image enhancing, which is frankly a big part of the current problem. :p

Oh here we go, these band breed threads always end up in insults and threats. Now we just need someone to come in and tell us that all band breeds sound the same then Troy can lock this thread up.

Oh here we go, these band breed threads always end up in insults and threats. Now we just need someone to come in and tell us that all band breeds sound the same then Troy can lock this thread up.

Well you're the one who brought up jorts...that was a low blow.

Dogo Aregentino's (DA) are popular in Europe and South America. When I was in Europe about 10 years ago I noticed that they are a massive breed and should be handled by experienced owners only. But that goes for a lot of breeds. Wobbly - I know you have already addressed this but I am surprised you met the dog at its level, especially a DA. I never would advise this. These dogs are common in Spain and Italy and are found on country / rural properties such as farms and don't warm up to any stranger in a hurry.

I doubt of many in AUS and NZ, (I have never seen one of these or Presa Canario in Aus) as they are usually American Bulldogs, misjudged as DA.

Still, a very striking and confident breed. No mucking around there.

Wobbly - I know you have already addressed this but I am surprised you met the dog at its level, especially a DA. I never would advise this. These dogs are common in Spain and Italy and are found on country / rural properties such as farms and don't warm up to any stranger in a hurry.

It strikes me that pic is a really great illustration of the case for educating the general populace about dog behaviour. XD

Returning to our regular scheduled programming: I present the case against dubious assymetrical clipping aesthetics amongst certain band breeds.

would-ever-groom-dog-like--large-msg-125668924575.jpg

Did anyone else in SA see the ad in today's Advertiser about the Argentinian Mastiff pups? I think there were 5, going for about a grand each if I remember correctly. Apparently good guards and hog dogs, would really like to know how legit these dogs are as the ad stated that they're purebred...

Did anyone else in SA see the ad in today's Advertiser about the Argentinian Mastiff pups? I think there were 5, going for about a grand each if I remember correctly. Apparently good guards and hog dogs, would really like to know how legit these dogs are as the ad stated that they're purebred...

report it. It they really are and they're making them accessible to anyone with $1000 they need to be stopped.

Just took the time to look into this thread. First, I thought you meant banned breed. No idea here, is this what you call a band breed?? :confused:

Information, Facts & Origins of the Bandog Breed (Bandogge)

The Bandog can claim its ancestry to the Molosser Dogs - It is not a pure bred dog and has descended from the cross-breeding of Pit Bulls, Mastiffs and Rottweilers. The literal meaning of the Bandog is taken from Band + dog giving Bound dog which refers to large and fierce dog, such as mastiffs, which were kept chained

or tied up until they were released for guard dog duties or in some cases for fighting and bull and bear baiting. The Bandog has therefore classified as one of the Working Dog Group which we go on to describe in detail in the section at the bottom of this page. As there is not a specific breed standard Bandog is not Registered by the AKC (American Kennel Club) and is therefore in the category of dogs termed Unrecognised & Rare Breeds. Name Facts and Dog Names: This dog's name is often referred to as the American Bandogge or Ban Dog.

Just took the time to look into this thread. First, I thought you meant banned breed. No idea here, is this what you call a band breed?? :confused:

Information, Facts & Origins of the Bandog Breed (Bandogge)

The Bandog can claim its ancestry to the Molosser Dogs - It is not a pure bred dog and has descended from the cross-breeding of Pit Bulls, Mastiffs and Rottweilers. The literal meaning of the Bandog is taken from Band + dog giving Bound dog which refers to large and fierce dog, such as mastiffs, which were kept chained

or tied up until they were released for guard dog duties or in some cases for fighting and bull and bear baiting. The Bandog has therefore classified as one of the Working Dog Group which we go on to describe in detail in the section at the bottom of this page. As there is not a specific breed standard Bandog is not Registered by the AKC (American Kennel Club) and is therefore in the category of dogs termed Unrecognised & Rare Breeds. Name Facts and Dog Names: This dog's name is often referred to as the American Bandogge or Ban Dog.

The original poster made a typo and wrote band breed instead of banned. We were just having a bit of fun with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Most gorgeous dog, would love to own one. Probably the only reason I would move to America.

It's not the dog. Shame some people feel the need to treat these animals with such disrespect :(

Makes it hard for us dog lovers who just love them for what they are.