On-lead Empowerment Or Disempowerment

mackie

This question stems from instances at the dog park.

My boy is a nearly 2 year old desexed aussie. I would describe him as quite dominant - meeting larger males invariably results in a stare down contest that occasionally gets him into trouble (nearly always while on lead) or results in unwanted bahaviour. This is managed through various methods including assessment of other dogs and when he is off lead or on lead, correction, distraction, avoidance, etc.

There are occasions when in the presence of dogs that he has dispayed an "issue" with, putting him back on lead has resulted in an escalation of aggression. That is, the other dog runs in with aggression and my boy retaliates.

Tonight he was playing with another dog, with the 'nemesis' approaching and barking. Not unusual as they both do this to each other from time to time. Mine was compeletely ignoring the other dog. When he had had enough he returned to me and when I was putting his lead on, bad things happened,

So to my question:

Am I empowering him by being near me, or is it a sign of weakness to the other dog, or can it be both?

Reactivity is often worse on leash as the dog feels more trapped and cant escape so they feel they need to defend themselves often taking the preemptive strike. Some dogs are only reactive when on lead for this reason.

Reactivity is often worse on leash as the dog feels more trapped and cant escape so they feel they need to defend themselves often taking the preemptive strike. Some dogs are only reactive when on lead for this reason.

I don't think he sounds like the dog park is a good place to take him. One day he'll come off worse, they are not safe places and other dogs are unpredictable.

I agree with both comments.

Please understand however that unlike many, I do not let the dog run amok as soon as we reach the park and that every off lead experience is assessed - possibly too much.

Dog parks have their place for most dogs - just not every/all the time. And we (and our dogs) ony improve through challenges and experiences. :)

EDIT: Although I concede I failed this time

Edited by mackie

I don't think he sounds like the dog park is a good place to take him. One day he'll come off worse, they are not safe places and other dogs are unpredictable.

I agree with both comments.

Please understand however that unlike many, I do not let the dog run amok as soon as we reach the park and that every off lead experience is assessed - possibly too much.

Dog parks have their place for most dogs - just not every/all the time. And we (and our dogs) ony improve through challenges and experiences. :)

EDIT: Although I concede I failed this time

I disagree. I've owned many dogs and fostered a ton more. Putting them into situations where they are aggressive or are attacked is not going to help them - it is not "challenges and experiences" it is dangerous. I'm guessing you were bitten when you tried to put the lead on. This indicates to me that the dog was highly agitated and things could have been much worse. An Aussie terrier is not a big dog. What happens when something much larger and stronger takes him up on his aggression? You are probably going to be in a very unsafe situation. Do you even know how to break up a dog fight? Most people don't.

No not bitten and aussie shepherd.

I defer to your experience but I am just trying to understand whether the dog coming in was acting on perceived weakness, or whether mine gave a signal to invite the approach in the first place.

OR

Apart from avoiding the entire situation with this dog, in other circumstances should I only put the dog on lead after taking him some distance away and calming any excitement?

It's hard to say because you say the other dog started it. Normally I would say escalation of aggression on a leash is probably related to frustration or a sense that escape/avoidance options are now very limited. I don't think I've ever seen a dog wait until another dog is put on leash and THEN make a move on them. If these two dogs have a history with one another it might be that the other dog was looking for any tiny indication that something might happen, and that could be as small as tension as your dog is put on leash. Such tension may or may not be directly related to the frustration/limited options I mentioned. It could be as simple as your dog had to momentarily split his attention between you and the other dog and that made him tense a bit.

I have seen dogs more likely to start something if they are in close proximity to their owner. Backup is at hand, I guess. I had a dog that was like this and I would walk away when she tried it. I guess it's conceivable the other dog waited until your dog's movement was limited from the leash before making a move, but it seems unlikely to me.

I was always taught that some dogs can feel more insecure on a leash when there are confrontations ..and that this may lead to increased aggression/defence .Their subtle body language will change ,as well..that body language which other dogs can read .

Dogs can survive without going to a dog park .... they can play with friends' dogs , and be walked on a longline in areas away from parks , attend classes which excercise their brain as well , or they can be given tasks to gain their food while at home ..keeping them occupied and happy .

You may feel more at ease if a professional can meet with your dog and explain to you what is really going on - this is almost impossible to do over the 'net.... your boy is now becoming mature and finding his feet - it would be great if he and you get a good grounding at this time ,IMO.

I don't think dog parks are essentially bad places, it's good to be able to let your dog offlead if you can, but you do need to be mindful of potential pitfalls.

In my opinion, if your dog is in a position where he is able to behave dominantly and/or stare down other dogs, you are just asking for trouble.

Not all dogs tolerate that kind of behaviour & if you know your dog is apt to retaliate when they object, then you are just as much to blame when the inevitable happens.

If this kind of thing happens frequently & you still want to keep going to the park, I'd be doing less of the play spectating and more active walking with your dog.

I think maybe it's a bit more complicated than it seems. A dog can mostly enjoy the dog park despite having the odd moment with another dog. My dog in the past has known a few dogs he doesn't like at the dog park. Just because something might happen doesn't mean he's not enjoying himself or that we're asking for trouble. It's like a kid's playground. There are some bullies and some dropkicks and some weirdos and if your dog happens to run into them we can't guarantee everyone is going to behave themselves. Sometimes my dog is the weirdo and sometimes he's the victim of one. Depends on the perspective of the other dog. You just have to take each moment as it comes and try to manage and try to keep the net park experience positive for everyone.

I guess that depends on how risky you like to be. If your dog does not take challenges well, or say dogs running up and getting in his face (Kaos is like this), why on earth would you take the dog to a dog park where lots of the dogs do this? It is just asking for trouble.

You also need to take into account the size of the dog, Australian Terriers might be fearless like most of the terriers but they are small dogs.

The OP has indicated it is an Australian Shepherd that she means by aussie, not the terrier.

:shrug: Didn't see the OP suggest that their dog didn't like the sorts of things that happen at dog parks. Just that there is occasionally an issue. We occasionally have issues as well. Everyone does, in or out of the dog park. As long as the overall dog park experience is positive, then I'd take my dog. If the overall experience tended to be negative I wouldn't. You can't judge that from someone relating an occasional experience.

Judging on the first post, the OP's dog is one I'd avoid at the park. I've found starers and stalkers (generally herding breeds) are bullies and I've had my very passive dog bailed up, unable to pass, way too many times by them.

It's anti social behaviour that impacts on other dogs & if your dog does it, you have got to recognise it's generally not appreciated by other dog owners. 9 times out of 10 it leads to nothing confrontational, but hey, my dog doesn't like it, doesn't invite it, so keep your dog under control.

You also need to take into account the size of the dog, Australian Terriers might be fearless like most of the terriers but they are small dogs.

The OP has indicated it is an Australian Shepherd that she means by aussie, not the terrier.

Right, in that case it's a whole different ball game. I don't have such a great concern that this dog is in great danger.

Judging on the first post, the OP's dog is one I'd avoid at the park. I've found starers and stalkers (generally herding breeds) are bullies and I've had my very passive dog bailed up, unable to pass, way too many times by them.

It's anti social behaviour that impacts on other dogs & if your dog does it, you have got to recognise it's generally not appreciated by other dog owners. 9 times out of 10 it leads to nothing confrontational, but hey, my dog doesn't like it, doesn't invite it, so keep your dog under control.

lol. I avoid Goldies. They are rude dogs and don't seem to realise that my dogs don't appreciate dogs bouncing around like nutbags right in front of them or on them!

Jules, lol, I can understand that, I've come across lots of them, they are pains & I avoid them too. :laugh:

I wasn't having a go at herding breeds, generally they are the best behaved dogs at the park. But if there is a staring stalking dog, 99% of the time it's a herding breed.

My main point is that the OP should prevent their dog behaving that way.

(& btw, my Goldie isn't rude, she's a gentle lady, I promise she would never dream of jumping on your dogs. :D )

Edited by dee lee