Augustines Superboost

I am looking at switching to home cooked meals and wonder if anyone has any feedback on this product? Home cooked meat/fish/eggs and veg with this - or similar - as a supplement. I am really not too happy with any of the kibbles and wonder if it is just as easy to prepare the meals myself as we generally have meat left over anyway. I am looking at the VAN supplement as well but it has kangaroo in it which I don't want.

I find that whole website totally confusing. Is the nutritional breakdown for the PRODUCT ie the Supplement. Or the breakdown of the DIET. Perhaps I'm just a Nong (I'm probably a Nong).

I have just finished my first container of the Superboost, can't say I've seen any miracle results. I had Dory on raw diet for about a month before using it and Willow has been getting some as well.

I find that whole website totally confusing. Is the nutritional breakdown for the PRODUCT ie the Supplement. Or the breakdown of the DIET. Perhaps I'm just a Nong (I'm probably a Nong).

I have just finished my first container of the Superboost, can't say I've seen any miracle results. I had Dory on raw diet for about a month before using it and Willow has been getting some as well.

I read it as a breakdown of the nutrients in the Superboost product rather than the diet. I thought it would just add some balance to home made to make sure he gets all the proper nutrients.

I read it as a breakdown of the nutrients in the Superboost product rather than the diet. I thought it would just add some balance to home made to make sure he gets all the proper nutrients.

Better to feed balanced than add a powder, really.

I don't believe VAN has kangaroo if you by the dry gran mix. Rather, he suggests you use that as a protein source, but you can use anything you want.

A few people here have use the Augustine diet with great success. However, no one that I know cooks the food - their dogs get raw. Cooking can reduce the nutritional value of food.

I think it gives us peace mind, if nothing else. I'm always questioning if I'm giving the right balance, even though I have shiny coats, good teeth, fresh breath (the dogs, not me), nice firm poos. As far as supplements go, I think this one is fairly reasonably priced.

I don't believe VAN has kangaroo if you by the dry gran mix. Rather, he suggests you use that as a protein source, but you can use anything you want.

A few people here have use the Augustine diet with great success. However, no one that I know cooks the food - their dogs get raw. Cooking can reduce the nutritional value of food.

This! The VAN Complete Mix you simply add whatever meat you prefer.

The Rolls and the RAW 76 are the ones that have roo in them as they are already prepared diets.

What nutrients - it speaks of ingredients not nutrients that I can see - am I looking in the wrong place?

I think it gives us peace mind, if nothing else. I'm always questioning if I'm giving the right balance, even though I have shiny coats, good teeth, fresh breath (the dogs, not me), nice firm poos. As far as supplements go, I think this one is fairly reasonably priced.

But how do you know its the right balance?

I don't. I certainly haven't been feeding this supplement in the amounts it recommends. I'm not even sure if what I'm feeding is the right balance. I try to give plenty of variety within the scope of what the dogs are willing to eat. (Dory won't touch offal with a 40ft barge pole, no matter how much you try to hide it).

I've read multiple books on raw feeding and all of them give you a different breakdown, most of them recommend this supplement or that supplement. Which annoys me, because I begin to question the credibility of an author that is pushing their supplement, whilst bagging out commercially produced foods that push their product as the best for balance and nutrition. Bit pot calling kettle black.

An over riding question I have is...how do we know what nutrients they need in what balance...and how did they work that out?

From my observation of Dory's changed appearance, what I'm doing now seems to be better than what I was doing before. (raw vs dry food). Is it the best? I have no idea.

I think feeding and balance is over-thought.

When you speak of balance what are you talking about? Balance of what, and over what time frame? Do you think this much about your own diet and balance in your own diet?

I think feeding and balance is over-thought.

When you speak of balance what are you talking about? Balance of what, and over what time frame? Do you think this much about your own diet and balance in your own diet?

I'm in agreement with you minimax. I think we often over think it. Unless I'm growing a giant breed (then I'm concerned about correct calcium:phosphorous); I think feed variety, make sure there is a protein source, a calcium source and a bit of carb and fibre. If your dog's constipated add more fibre - that sort of thing.

I guess if you are having specific issues, then you need to look closer. But otherwise if doggie has other signs of being healthy, don't fret over things being exactly balanced.

Since when did feeding our dogs become such rocket science? Don't know how they survived in the days when most dogs just got left overs :D I think the pet food industry have profited greatly by making feeding more complicated than it is.

I won't feed raw - it upsets the tummy. Cooked meat with some veges and fish/eggs/dairy is fine IMO and doesn't hurt to add a vitamin/mineral mix. People who question adding a supplement probably happily pop a multivitamin themselves each day without agonising over it.

Edited by Rosetta

I have been feeding 70% raw home made food for almost 6 months now. Also adding a sprinkle of Augustines SuperBoost on top before serving. I don't get to exact with the amount. With the spoon provided I give my boy level spoon & my girl bit over half level spoon. Roughly. Plus I use greyhound Sprint oil, & cold press coconut oil everyday. My guys now have glowing coats & full of energy. Yard pick up has never been better. Next to no odour either. They both still have a very small amount of dry food, Earthborn Holistic fish variety. Very happy camper's here atm :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I don't. I certainly haven't been feeding this supplement in the amounts it recommends. I'm not even sure if what I'm feeding is the right balance. I try to give plenty of variety within the scope of what the dogs are willing to eat. (Dory won't touch offal with a 40ft barge pole, no matter how much you try to hide it).

I've read multiple books on raw feeding and all of them give you a different breakdown, most of them recommend this supplement or that supplement. Which annoys me, because I begin to question the credibility of an author that is pushing their supplement, whilst bagging out commercially produced foods that push their product as the best for balance and nutrition. Bit pot calling kettle black.

An over riding question I have is...how do we know what nutrients they need in what balance...and how did they work that out?

From my observation of Dory's changed appearance, what I'm doing now seems to be better than what I was doing before. (raw vs dry food). Is it the best? I have no idea.

The yanks did a big deal and determined the levels of nutrition determined to be the norm for our dogs not that this really means much.

Its about understanding what happens inside the dog's body when some things are lacking or when some things are over represented. So for example lets look at calcium - dogs need calcium - right? But in order for the calcium to do what it needs to do it needs things to ensure the calcium assimilates. just giving the dog calcium and neglecting the rest has huge long term consequences - you need other minerals such as zinc and magnesium and the right level of phosphorous and it needs vitamins in the mix vitamin D and E.

So you dont need to be a kitchen whizz or a scientist . When you look at feeding yourself or your child you know already that no matter what you cant get everything you need in for long term health .the way we deal with that is to eat a varied diet and try to balance it with a bit of everything over a period of about a week.

When you feed commercial foods the enzymes needed to assimilate these things which are found in fresh food are dead , the vitamins are dead - cooking and storage makes sure of this and you are left with a bag full of minerals which need others things to assimilate.everyone says they are a complete food and every one says they are the best and they are all different to each other. At the very minimum if you feed commercial dog food you need a multi vitamin and enzymes suppliments - but you can see what the vitamins are and you can see what the enzymes are when you determine you will use them. you see people who change foods and see a good result maybe its got more oils or fats etc for shiny coats so they stick with it but over time it cuts the immune system to the bone - because its just not possible to feed everything the dog needs by feeding only the same thing and little else.

If you are feeding raw and try for variety with whole foods rather than suppliments I promise your dog will be healthier than anything else you can do. But just be aware of some of the common mistakes mainly the ratio of bone to meat and chuck in everything else when its in season or handy and all is well.

My big argument about products such as this is that the chemical analysis hasn't been done and you are either wasting your money and or setting up future problems.

If you are feeding raw and you are a bit concerned that you arent covering it all then all you need is a children's multi vitamin.

You dont need to spend a bucket on something that is being marketed as a suppliment but which hasn't even done the analysis.

The yanks did a big deal and determined the levels of nutrition determined to be the norm for our dogs not that this really means much.

Its about understanding what happens inside the dog's body when some things are lacking or when some things are over represented. So for example lets look at calcium - dogs need calcium - right? But in order for the calcium to do what it needs to do it needs things to ensure the calcium assimilates. just giving the dog calcium and neglecting the rest has huge long term consequences - you need other minerals such as zinc and magnesium and the right level of phosphorous and it needs vitamins in the mix vitamin D and E.

So you dont need to be a kitchen whizz or a scientist . When you look at feeding yourself or your child you know already that no matter what you cant get everything you need in for long term health .the way we deal with that is to eat a varied diet and try to balance it with a bit of everything over a period of about a week.

When you feed commercial foods the enzymes needed to assimilate these things which are found in fresh food are dead , the vitamins are dead - cooking and storage makes sure of this and you are left with a bag full of minerals which need others things to assimilate.everyone says they are a complete food and every one says they are the best and they are all different to each other. At the very minimum if you feed commercial dog food you need a multi vitamin and enzymes suppliments - but you can see what the vitamins are and you can see what the enzymes are when you determine you will use them. you see people who change foods and see a good result maybe its got more oils or fats etc for shiny coats so they stick with it but over time it cuts the immune system to the bone - because its just not possible to feed everything the dog needs by feeding only the same thing and little else.

If you are feeding raw and try for variety with whole foods rather than suppliments I promise your dog will be healthier than anything else you can do. But just be aware of some of the common mistakes mainly the ratio of bone to meat and chuck in everything else when its in season or handy and all is well.

My big argument about products such as this is that the chemical analysis hasn't been done and you are either wasting your money and or setting up future problems.

If you are feeding raw and you are a bit concerned that you arent covering it all then all you need is a children's multi vitamin.

You dont need to spend a bucket on something that is being marketed as a suppliment but which hasn't even done the analysis.

I get what you are saying Steve but I would be concerned that a multi designed for humans may not be appropriate. Here are the ingredients for the Blackmore children's multi for instance - what about the iron component would that be OK for dogs?

Free of artificial colours, flavours and sweeteners

Vitamin A

Vitamin B1

Vitamin B2

Vitamin B3

Vitamin B5

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B12

Folic acid

Vitamin C

Vitamin D3

Natural Vitamin E

Biotin

Calcium

Iron

Potassium

Magnesium

Manganese

Zinc

Yes its all good and doesn't overdose on anything - the point is you don't really need them anyway its just that for what ever reason dog owners are more worried about how they feed their dogs and whether they are lacking in something than they are concerned about how they feed their kids. Problem with canine supplements is that they dont have the same controls and requirements for labelling etc that human ones do. The augustines superboost hasn't had the chemical analysis done anyway so you have no way of knowing exactly what it is the dog is getting out of it so you cant take a realistic look and see whether it should be treated as a medicine and given for a short period or whether its O.K. to use all the time.

You see dogs have different digestive systems to humans and they have different reqirements for amino acids and vitamins and minerals. For example as long as the dog has the other nutrients and enzymes required it doesnt need to eat vitamin C because it manufactures that in a different form. Now sometimes such as under stress etc dogs cant make enough so they may need a supplement vitamin C but if you just give it as a supplement as you do with humans rather than as a medicine the dog will stop making the vitamin C itself. Just because you see instant improvements - as you do if you take an anti biotic etc doesnt mean it should be given all the time .Before you can make an educated choice you need to see the analysis.