Hyper And Clingy Puppy!

oatmilk

Hi,

I am a new owner of an 8 week old Cavalier. He is a lot more energetic than I had anticipated and he loves to bite and not let go of our hands, feet, clothes, face etc. After doing a lot of research I have found many different methods of trying to stop him and it's not going too well! We tried enticing him with toys/bully sticks when he bites, but he will play with the toy for a few seconds then jump right back to biting with us. We tried yelping (didn't faze him at all). We tried teaching "leave it" (works to some extent, but then he will find something else to bite). We tried time-out (when he comes out of time-out he goes hyper and bites everything again). The only time he will stop biting everything is when he gets tired and takes a nap. The thing that is starting to work is using "settle down", which is picking him up and soothing him with pats until he settles. But I am afraid that this is only encouraging his destructiveness!

I know it is quite typical of puppies but he is either running around biting and growling at everything or following me around and whining at me and it's driving me a little insane! We are bringing him to training classes tomorrow but when I tried to clicker train him before, he looses attention after around 5 minutes and goes to attacking everything around him. I'm running out of ideas.. any help would be appreciated! We will definitely start taking him out for walks when he has his vaccinations done to get some of his energy out.. but other than that, he doesn't like fetch and he's not interested in those "find it" games with any treats. Would love some ideas of games that we can play together..

Also he seems to have gotten a habit of relieving himself indoors when I have left the room for only 5-10 minutes (even though he went potty outside just before). So far I have smothered him with attention which I regret now!! Trying to fix my mistakes. Will getting him used to a crate help with the separation anxiety?

He doesn't have separation anxiety.

He's a baby puppy that is using his mouth to explore his world (and to interact with you) and he has the attention span of a gnat and very little bladder control.

Sensible crate training will assist with leaving him unsupervised but you've got a breed developed for strong people focus and, by the sound of it, a happy outgoing pup.

If you cannot watch him, he needs to be somewhere he can go to the toilet without a problem. Training will help you to understand his needs (and adjust your expectations) and focus an active mind in a positive direction. Search the threads here for 'bite inhibition' and 'mouthing" for more ideas on how to curb this behaviour. :)

Have you discussed any of your concerns with his breeder. For responsible breeders, helping new owners to adjust to life with a new pup is all part of the role. Although, if he's now aged 8 weeks, and you've had him for a couple of weeks, its not likely you got him from a responsible breeder. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Firstly, slow down. He's 8 weeks old, the attention span of a mosquito and everything is SUPER NEW AND EXCITING!

If he bites you, grab his scruff and hold until he lets go and settles, don't say a word. Offer again, rinse and reapeat until he sniffs/licks then QUIETLY praise him.

Hand feed him a lot of his meals he has a tiny tummy and he wont be too hungry for treats. Make him do basic things like come when called, look at your face, pay attention when his name is called, not jump up etc. He will learn faster being rewarded for the right things but dont be afraid to help him out and show him what you want.

If you dont have a dog crate, GET ONE! They're brilliant, he cant make a mess, cant toilet inside and he will have his own bedroom. You can also feed him in there to start him getting used to the whole process, bed and toys.

when I tried to clicker train him before, he looses attention after around 5 minutes and goes to attacking everything around him.

Oh goodness I'm 31 years old and struggle to keep attention on clicker training for 5 minutes! :o Short & sweet!

Apart from that, what everyone else said :)

Firstly, slow down. He's 8 weeks old, the attention span of a mosquito and everything is SUPER NEW AND EXCITING!

If he bites you, grab his scruff and hold until he lets go and settles, don't say a word. Offer again, rinse and reapeat until he sniffs/licks then QUIETLY praise him.

Hand feed him a lot of his meals he has a tiny tummy and he wont be too hungry for treats. Make him do basic things like come when called, look at your face, pay attention when his name is called, not jump up etc. He will learn faster being rewarded for the right things but dont be afraid to help him out and show him what you want.

If you dont have a dog crate, GET ONE! They're brilliant, he cant make a mess, cant toilet inside and he will have his own bedroom. You can also feed him in there to start him getting used to the whole process, bed and toys.

Thank you, I've tried the settle thing until he will lick my hand and not bite it, but I feel like the problem is getting worse.. I'm not sure if it is a teething/mouthy problem anymore. I feel like he has good bite inhibition now as when he's in a more settled mode or eating from my hand, he only bites very gently. He just gets into very aggressive modes (I know it sounds silly because he's only 9 weeks now but he's starting to scare me!). He will bite onto our clothes, feet, hands and not let go whilst growling and barking.. he is also aggressive and growls when he plays with his toys. Is this still a normal puppy thing??

Although yes, it's relatively normal it does need to be addressed sooner rather than later. What did the trainer you saw tell you to do about it?

I saw two on the weekend. One said to give him a chew toy and the other said to say "no" in a growly voice. This did startle him for a while and stopped him biting for a few seconds.. then he started again! And now he's gotten used to my growly voice so it doesn't startle him. He will play with the chew toy and then go back to biting.. so yeah not sure what to do.. he is more interested in kongs with food and bully sticks (which I tend to save for crate training), but will he see this as a food reward? Also worried about "settle down" being seen as a reward? I can't grab his scruff as the previous poster said, because he let out the most awful yelp the first time I did it. I felt horrible! So now I just carry him so he can't wriggle away.

Edited by oatmilk

He likely yelped because you surprised him and stopped him from doing what he wanted. Puppies yelp when you put them in time out too- it's not always about physical pain. How much gentle handling do you do with him? Is he wearing a collar?

It sounds like you may benefit from having a trainer come to your home to address some of the issues you're experiencing. Guess work can be problematic as the puppy can become more persistent with each unsuccessful attempt to stop the mouthing.

I have read all those books, most of the videos, and I think Ian Dunbar is the most fantastic person! But I've tried breaking up play sessions with short training sessions. He's very good and has learned sit, and is starting to learn down.. but all of a sudden he will start growling and tugging hard on my hands, clothes, feet, hair.. If he doesn't get aggressive then, he will get aggressive when he sees anyone walking around and tug on everyones pants/feet.

I've followed Ian's steps on bite inhibition (except replacing the kibble in kong for his favourite toy. of course this doesn't work as I said earlier so he ends up in time-out) he instantly whines/barks/scratches on the door and sounds like he is about to die! I've waited up to 5 minutes until I was sure the neighbours would complain and he didn't give it a break for a second. This doesn't seem like he is "reflecting on his loss" as he is so panicked! And he is instantly aggressive again once let out.. I'm just really worried that I won't get this problem fixed before he gets bigger and stronger with sharper teeth! He's now learned to clamp down on my arm through my jumper and it really hurts :(.

He likely yelped because you surprised him and stopped him from doing what he wanted. Puppies yelp when you put them in time out too- it's not always about physical pain. How much gentle handling do you do with him? Is he wearing a collar?

It sounds like you may benefit from having a trainer come to your home to address some of the issues you're experiencing. Guess work can be problematic as the puppy can become more persistent with each unsuccessful attempt to stop the mouthing.

He only wears a collar outside for tags with the leash attached to a harness. I was also told to not put pressure around Cavalier's necks because of the risk of Syringomyelia so I only yanked him because it was one of the first times he bit me and I wasn't thinking clearly. I do a lot of gentle handling touching his paws, massaging him etc. when he is calm and will let me. I feel like I have done a lot of research and have exhausted every idea out there and I wanted to post on this forum just incase I missed something obvious... I think I will look into a personal trainer now before it gets worse. Thanks for your help!

(I know it sounds silly because he's only 9 weeks now but he's starting to scare me!). He will bite onto our clothes, feet, hands and not let go whilst growling and barking.. he is also aggressive and growls when he plays with his toys. Is this still a normal puppy thing??

This part bothers me a bit.

The biting things & growling isn't aggression its how puppies play & express themselves.

You are going to have to let him know who is the pack leader & where his place in the pack in your home is. While this needs to be firm but not harsh or cruel how are you going to manage this if you feel fear of this baby already ?

Your puppy is acting like any normal puppy & training is not an instant thing, its an ongoing progression & also depends on how your pup responds & matures. Some pups are silly for a long time & then suddenly a few months later it just all clicks in.

You need to address your own fear & lack of confidence or you are going to find coping with a dog too much. Get some help but do consider all training advice carefully.

People vary in their methods & there is no only one right way. If you feel uncomfortable or that it is wrong do not use that method.

Basically the dog needs to know what you expect & want it to do, or not do.

If it doesn't understand it can't obey.

He's playing and he's a normal puppy. Pups can be terrors for the first few weeks that you have them and some go way beyond that.

If he's playing, biting and interacting, you are far better off with that, that having a cowering mess in the corner that refuses to interact. None of the techniques that have been suggested to you will work instantly.

We've raised many a Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup and they are the definition of land shark. Using the calming techniques and also the food reward works very well for them and I believe given time and consistent application it will also benefit your puppy.

Pups spend many months being puppies and it's up to the owners through training to guide them towards the adult dog you want.

Just from your posts he sounds like a normal baby puppy who is vocal. Puppies are not silent. They yip and play-growl and bark! It is normally not classed as aggression. Hard for me to say anything else by just reading your info.

At his age training should be only a minute or two. Any more and of course he will go back to playing as his brain cannot be serious for very long at all :)

He's playing and he's a normal puppy. Pups can be terrors for the first few weeks that you have them and some go way beyond that.

If he's playing, biting and interacting, you are far better off with that, that having a cowering mess in the corner that refuses to interact. None of the techniques that have been suggested to you will work instantly.

We've raised many a Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup and they are the definition of land shark. Using the calming techniques and also the food reward works very well for them and I believe given time and consistent application it will also benefit your puppy.

Pups spend many months being puppies and it's up to the owners through training to guide them towards the adult dog you want.

Thanks I wanted to know which technique I should stick with. I will continue with "settle down" and start handing him a kong with something yummy inside instead of a toy.

my only tip is be consistent with your blocks and praises, if you are blocking bad behaviour keep doing it till he realizes that he is not allowed to do it and don't stop blocking that behaviour or give up and let him have his way, dogs teach us patience and determination and they will respect that from us, they will put us up to test every chance they get and you need to be on top of it till it sets in, even when its set in there will be days when the dog needs a reminder of the way things are.

The hardest part of all this is overcoming your fear of frightening or hurting the dogs feelings, remember they thrive on pack behaviour and understanding their place in the family, if they know you are boss and understand that they will listen to your commands, if they know they can get away with bad behaviour and have leverage over your they will use that to their advantage

Most puppies are very vocal. Growling etc. They are just being puppies. Feeling their way & investing the big new world. They have teeth like needles & yes they hurt when they bite you. My girl at 12 weeks was a terror.

She would run flat out & launch herself at me growling her head off. She would bite & wasn't fussy about where. I had bark off me everywhere, my face was constantly

scared/bruised as was most of my hands, back & ankles. This was her way of 'playing' with me until I redirected her with a game I wanted to play, like a ball game or alike.

She soon learnt that her game wasn't much fun because I didn't react at all. I just found it best to be firm but fair & consistant. No need to raise the volume of your voice just use your tone

to let him know when you are really happy & reward him. Lower your voice & don't reward when you aren't. They generally catch on really quickly.

As others have said puppies have the attention span of a flea. They are going to be able to hold concerntration for 30 sec's & then it's game on or they will just run off

& find something fun to do. Then in a another minute they will be fast asleep. That's puppies :)

Enjoy your new family member :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Growing up we had a pup that was a total land shark and would bite (particularly at hands) given any opportunity. We tried everything and couldn't stop it until we mentioned it to a friend who was an older farmer. When the pup bites at your hand very gently push in the lip/cheek at the corner of their mouth so it covers your finger and when they bite you, they bite down on their cheek/lip as well. Did it a few times and within a week he never bit at our hands again. They don't like it but I guess that's why it works!