The Big Problem With Pit Bulls (in Usa)

sandgrubber

This has been appearing in Craigslist's pets section (Gumtree equivalent). At least half the dog ads in our local Craigslist are for pits or pit X's. The other problem with a breed that attracts irresponsible owners is that those same irresponsible owners are likely to become irresponsible breeders.

PITS PITBULLS PIT PUPS PITBULL PUPS (EVERYWHERE)

Pitbull breeds and mixes are OVERBRED !!!!

The shelters are FULL of PITBULLS, PITBULL PUPPIES, PIT MIXES

Thousands are killed every single day because there are so many of them and not enough homes.......

Why in the world would you continue to breed these poor dogs when there is such a horrendous OVERPOPULATION..

For EVERY Pit you breed.........one dies due to a lack of a home...

If you need money.....GET A JOB and PLEASE

PLEASE PLEASE

STOP BREEDING THEM !!!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

The big problem is everyone calling their bull mutts "pit bulls". That isn't exactly helpful when it comes to the actual American Pit Bull Terriers and their reputation.

The biggest problem, though, is back yard breeding.

The big problem is everyone calling their bull mutts "pit bulls". That isn't exactly helpful when it comes to the actual American Pit Bull Terriers and their reputation.

:thumbsup:

Just because someone says it's a pitty doesn't make it so!

Irresponsible breeding is the problem.

:thumbsup:

Just because someone says it's a pitty doesn't make it so!

Irresponsible breeding is the problem.

Unfortunately in Victoria, just because a council says it looks like it might have pitbull in it, it DOES make it so, and it will be euthanised. :cry:

1371825685[/url]' post='6232763']

This comes down to linguistics and dialect, but in the USA, most dogs called pit bulls are back yard bred. serious muscle dog fanciers or dog fighters may track pedigrees, but mostly 'pit' means a dog bought or given away ...coming from a friend, neighbor, or shelter. Classification is so difficult that many places with BSL lump the Staffy and the Am Staff into the pit bull classification.

I's true, that there are masses of "Pit Bull" type dogs both here and in the States. They are incredibly popular, and this can lead to issues, just as it has with previous 'popular' breeds.

However, the vast majority of the dogs are responsibly owned and loved. (http://iamthemajority.tumblr.com/)

There are many programs now up and running in the states that target low socio-economic areas and provide free spay/neuter/vaccination/microchipping without judgement to people who need it most (Pets for Life program, BADRAP, Animal Farm Foundation and many other smaller rescues and charities), who are drastically improving things for both the owners (who love their pets and want to do the right thing, but simply don't have the knowledge or access to services so they can) and the dogs. I learnt a lot about these programs while I was over there last month and it was very inspiring. Changing the culture over time, by not 'preaching' or judging people is the way to go.

BADRAP said that thirteen years ago when they started, they couldn't give away free spay/neuter to "Pit Bull" owners in the Oakland CA area - they were laughed at. Now they have so many people wanting to take them up on it they've just bought a giant spay/neuter van as they just didn't have enough surgery spots to keep up with the demand. They've done this simply through working with the kind of people that we would usually judge, try to lecture etc. etc. They have earned their trust, shown them the benefits, appealed to the fact that these people DO love their dogs... and over time have gotten real results. All very inspiring :thumbsup:

I's true, that there are masses of "Pit Bull" type dogs both here and in the States. They are incredibly popular, and this can lead to issues, just as it has with previous 'popular' breeds.

However, the vast majority of the dogs are responsibly owned and loved. (http://iamthemajority.tumblr.com/)

There are many programs now up and running in the states that target low socio-economic areas and provide free spay/neuter/vaccination/microchipping without judgement to people who need it most (Pets for Life program, BADRAP, Animal Farm Foundation and many other smaller rescues and charities), who are drastically improving things for both the owners (who love their pets and want to do the right thing, but simply don't have the knowledge or access to services so they can) and the dogs. I learnt a lot about these programs while I was over there last month and it was very inspiring. Changing the culture over time, by not 'preaching' or judging people is the way to go.

BADRAP said that thirteen years ago when they started, they couldn't give away free spay/neuter to "Pit Bull" owners in the Oakland CA area - they were laughed at. Now they have so many people wanting to take them up on it they've just bought a giant spay/neuter van as they just didn't have enough surgery spots to keep up with the demand. They've done this simply through working with the kind of people that we would usually judge, try to lecture etc. etc. They have earned their trust, shown them the benefits, appealed to the fact that these people DO love their dogs... and over time have gotten real results. All very inspiring :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing positive stories like this!

I agree and the other huge problem is easy access to making a quick buck - internet sales. Stop selling puppies/dogs on internet sites like gumtree and you cut off a vital selling tool. I wonder how many people would still backyard breed, if they had to pay to advertise to sell their puppies - ie. take an add in the local newspaper or put up for sale notices on community noticeboards. It would be a lot harder to sell them I bet. It's so easy to have a litter and then sell on the internet. Take that away and people would think twice.

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing positive stories like this!

No problems, it was really great to see, a fantastic experience.

Very appropriately, a friend I made over there who is part of a Pit-Specific rescue just posted this on facebook, and I think it's a really important and insightful perspective.

"What an interesting day. We took our group, #### , to a "Pit Bull" event. We met a woman, affluent and white, who was interested in one of our dogs and then inquired how she would act if her children jumped on her or poked her eyes or ears. Seriously? We discussed appropriate behavior and bite prevention but are not sure we got through. Later that day we met a man who has obviously done some time and whom people avoided interacting with. He had a beautiful, huge headed, (and balled but we can help that), black staffy named "Diablo". He LOVED this dog and I watched him find shade for him to lie in, water for him to drink and witnessed him holding his big head and kissing him on it. I made sure to strike up a conversation with this wonderful example of a Pit Bull owner. But it left me to ponder, what do we mean when we say our breed attracts all the "wrong" people? Are we thinking of this man or the woman. I know what my thoughts are."

Most people who we would look at as 'bad' owners actually love their dogs very much, and want to do the best for them. They may not meet our very high standards due to lack of education or lack of access to resources, but if we just help them, without judgement and without preaching, we get real results.

Sorry to be a downer but subsidized and/or free Spey neuter services are available in many parts of the US. Including places where shelters are full of pits. Badrap Is a great organization, but if you look for pit bulls available for adoption in Oakland, you'll still find shelters are still overflowing with them. http://www.adoptapet...r&family_id=801 Lists over 300 dogs in the APBT category.

Where I live we have http://www.nmhp.net/OperationPetSnip/tabid/142/Default.aspx . Locals are generally pit friendly....most of my neighbors have owned a one at one time or other (though some of them swore off the breed after owning one). But we're still awash with unwanted pits and pit crosses. I hate to think what it would be like if there weren't free and subsidized clinics available.

Sorry to be a downer but subsidized and/or free Spey neuter services are available in many parts of the US. Including places where shelters are full of pits. Badrap Is a great organization, but if you look for pit bulls available for adoption in Oakland, you'll still find shelters are still overflowing with them. http://www.adoptapet...r&family_id=801 Lists over 300 dogs in the APBT category.

Where I live we have http://www.nmhp.net/OperationPetSnip/tabid/142/Default.aspx . Locals are generally pit friendly....most of my neighbors have owned a one at one time or other (though some of them swore off the breed after owning one). But we're still awash with unwanted pits and pit crosses. I hate to think what it would be like if there weren't free and subsidized clinics available.

Your first link re: Oakland isn't just dogs in shelters at risk of euthanasia. I know so because four of the dogs in the first line are actually at BADRAP right now, I met one of them! Randomly clicking about thirty dogs showed that most were with rescue groups rather than in shelters.

Pit Bull type dogs are incredibly popular, so of course they will be represented in the shelter population more than some other breeds. When you consider that you're lumping three distinct pure breds and all their mixes (and other breed mixes that get labelled 'Pit Bulls'.... there's a Boxer in your link!) I'm not surprised there are a lot of dogs listed as such up for adoption.

It doesn't really matter how many dogs of a particular type are in the shelter anyway, as great shelters won't be euthanasing most of them due to their proactive approach. The kill stats in the pounds come down to the pound itself, not the community or the myth of overpopulation, and if the pound is killing lots of dogs, or lots of pit bulls, then that is a problem with the pound, not with the dogs.

There's still a way to go, sure, but there has been vast improvement in many areas in the last ten years, and whole culture changes in many of the areas (and most of the country). There is no 'pit bull problem'. There is a people problem though :laugh:

Edited by melzawelza