The Scandal Of Marketing Purebred Dogs

Podengo

Yes. I think we are at two different places, here. I don't think I am alone in my reasons for buying purebred dogs. I often ask people why they get the dogs they do and their reasons are much the same as mine. I was trying to get at why people buy purebred dogs currently and building from there, but I'm being told that it's not important. So if it's not, what is? Specifically, I mean? What is good about purebred dogs apart from quality?

Predictability! The reason for breeds in the first place. We choose purebreds because we have a far greater certainty of getting desired features and characteristics - size, coat, temperament, bite inhibition, bite threshold etc etc

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't choose a pure breed for the sake of having a pure breed, I selected a breed. I want the predictable qualities specific to that breed, including their beauty. I don't have pure bred cats, the generic domestic short hair suits me as well as any breed. But that is not so for dogs, not for me. But some people feel about dogs as I do about cats. If I was to market pure breed dogs, I would market the breeds, and then the concept of quality breeding of those breeds :shrug:

Yep, history enriches the experience. And form following function, I like knowing that the reason each point is important in my dogs, the functional reason that when put together manages to create such a balanced form.

Yes. I think we are at two different places, here. I don't think I am alone in my reasons for buying purebred dogs. I often ask people why they get the dogs they do and their reasons are much the same as mine. I was trying to get at why people buy purebred dogs currently and building from there, but I'm being told that it's not important. So if it's not, what is? Specifically, I mean? What is good about purebred dogs apart from quality?

Predictability! The reason for breeds in the first place. We choose purebreds because we have a far greater certainty of getting desired features and characteristics - size, coat, temperament, bite inhibition, bite threshold etc etc

I agree. If predictability includes reliability. Reliably predictable isn't the same as predictably reliable.

Edited by moosmum

I agree. If predictability includes reliability.

I have found they aren't the same.

If you mean you're getting a guarantee of a totally predictable outcome, sadly you don't with every characteristic. What you do is narrow the range of potential outcomes for the adult dog. There sadly are no guaranteees.

I agree. If predictability includes reliability.

I have found they aren't the same.

Quality

Predictability

Rich history

Type specific (not sure if this is translated effectively)

Reliability

The last one is weak. I can't think of how to say that you see a predetermined and forward known quality.

It's handy for medical history/genetic illnesses or diseases.

But in a word or two as per the list?

The last one is weak. I can't think of how to say that you see a predetermined and forward known quality.

It's handy for medical history/genetic illnesses or diseases.

But in a word or two as per the list?

History, or background. Still sounds weak though when limited to two words like that :laugh:

I beg to disagree. Temperament is certainly inherited and so is workability. So is speed and hunting ability and so on..People go to particular lines and seek pups from particular parents to get those characteristics - and also avoid certain lines for the same reasons.

Why do you think some untried greyhounds and race horse yearlings sell for so much more than others? Its ALL about bloodlines.

Sorry, I don't mean the actual focus of the point, just the way I worded it. I don't think I've captured the importance of the point with my word.

Edited by ~Anne~

So how do we say that 'the characteristics are known because we can view parentage' in a simple way? How do we capture in a word or two that we have a choice and can find what we want because we have evidence of parentage?

So how do we say that 'the characteristics are known because we can view parentage' in a simple way? How do we capture in a word or two that we have a choice and can find what we want because we have evidence of parentage?

pedigree

The word pedigree doesn't say enough in the current market. We're looking for a message in a word. To you in and me it speaks volumes but not to everyone. On the other hand it may be a way of 'promoting' the key word.

We want a way to describe the benefit of a pedigree I guess is what I am thinking. A word that's says predetermined qualities shown with parentage as evidence.

Edited by ~Anne~