Does Anyone Have Advice For A Dog With Soft Pads?

My 15 month old GSD puppy has sore, soft pads, there are no cracks, my vet suggested painting daily with Formalin to help toughen them up.

She is always on the move, extremely active, will walk/run happily on grass but at the present time refuses to walk on gravel or rough ground.

At the present time she is being rested and only out for walks on lead until I get this problem under control.

I am thinking of buying her some boots just for when we go for walks until I can fix this problem

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it treated?

Thanks for any assistance :)

Don't know about Formalin, sounds a bit extreme. It gets used in embalming doesn't it?

Try 'Mushers paste' comes in a jar and is for healing and protecting paws of dogs that run a lot on snow, ice, stony ground and rough surfaces. I have used it to help heal pads with friction burns on them and it did the job.

Hi Fordogs, I've just started using Mushers Secret on my boy MacDuff''s pads (regrowth of pads after they peeled off due to allergic reaction) and I've already noticed a difference with the new soft tissue being a bit tougher in just 2 weeks.

I'm also waiting on delivery of another product from the US - 'Handhills Tuff N Up Dog Pad Toughener' - I ordered it through Operation Sheepdog Herding ( http://www.sheepdogherding.com/dog-first-aid/tuff-n-up ) and am looking forward to trying it out as I've read some good reports on it.

You need to keep her off the hard surface for a couple of weeks because the soft tissue inside will be a bit bruised as well. If the skin is too soft just methylated spirits wiped on a few times a day for a week or two tends to do the trick too in toughening skin. I know a few vets still use formalin for that and also for horses hooves.

I feel like someone told me that Pawpaw cream was good for this problem.

LOL, that was me... pawpaw is great for healing but will do nothing for protection. Mushers Secret is used by thousands of husky runners in summer and winter for road, gravel and snow for protection.

My 15 month old GSD puppy has sore, soft pads, there are no cracks, my vet suggested painting daily with Formalin to help toughen them up.

She is always on the move, extremely active, will walk/run happily on grass but at the present time refuses to walk on gravel or rough ground.

At the present time she is being rested and only out for walks on lead until I get this problem under control.

I am thinking of buying her some boots just for when we go for walks until I can fix this problem

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it treated?

Thanks for any assistance :)

I can't tell you how glad I am that you haven't followed that suggestion. To hear that advice from a vet I find nothing short of horrifying.

Formalin is incredibly toxic if ingested (eg. by your dog licking its paws), can be absorbed through the skin to cause internal organ damage, it also corrosive to skin and frankly won't do you a lot of good either. And its been suggested for DAILY application :dropjaw:

If that's the standard of advice your vet is giving, can i politely suggest you find another vet? Perhaps one who might consider that soft pads are not the only reason a dog might show signs of tenderness on hard or uneven ground??

Edited by Haredown Whippets

KIrislin -- No corns or anything hard or rough. I have already read the post on foot corns and her problem is nothing like that.

What I see when I look at her pads is as follows :

I do know that dogs sweat through their feet and her feet are often wet even in dry weather (as in sweaty)

She does have small grey spots on some of her pads, when I press on them she will pull away as if I hurt her :

The Musher's Secret Paw Wax arrived today so I have applied it already (day 1)

I would like to give big thumbs up to Waggle.co.au for their great service.

Ordered yesterday, they emailed me at 4.10pm to let me know that it was on the way and here today :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you Waggle

THat is great to hear. I only put the link for Waggle as they came up when I googled for an Aussie supplier so I am glad it worked out. Dunno if there are any Waggle people here, but I am sure they would be pleased with your positive feedback.

As far as I know Mushers Secret only protects, it does not harden....or that is not the intention of the product, I researched it quite a bit last year.

Instead I went with: http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=354

Tuf-Foot Tuff-Foot tuff foot fuffoot

A sporting dog that does not have sound paws, tough soles, and tough pads with complete freedom of action is at a distinct disadvantage.

Tuf-Foot is guaranteed to toughen your dog's paws and protect them against bruises, blisters, cuts, soreness, tears, and cracking.

Made from a combination of herbs and balsams that aboriginal tribes used on their feet to withstand injury in the harsh outback, Tuf-Foot has been recommended by veterinarians and trainers for more than 70 years. Owners of hunting and mushing dogs praise the product for it's effectiveness on their dog's paws and pads, and even on their own skin Tuf-Foot is equally effective and safe to use on humans! Simply apply to the foot and allow to dry.

Use daily for 2 weeks, then 2-3 times per week to maintain condition. Safe to apply to cracked or torn pads.