8 Yo Large Breed Girl

Hi guys I just thought I might open a separate thread for an older girl we have in Broken Hill (rural NSW) pound, because she has been there a long time now and I would really love to see her get a second chance after spending her life thus far in a pen producing litter after litter.

Her name is Shakira (which, admittedly, is a bit of poor name choice) and she is 8 years old. She is fairly large and supposedly an American Bulldog x Neo Mastiff. Here is a picture of her:

535fem8yrssurr_zpsb03a00bf.jpg

Are there any rescues possibly concentrating on seniors or large breeds or similar? I would hate if this was the end of the road for this lovely girl and she has somebody who is willing to cover her spay for her if somebody will put their hand up for her. Please contact Nina Hartland http://www.dolforums.com.au/user/26474-ninahartland/ if you can help her :)

I got some more details off the ranger:

She lived with 8 other dogs and was mated regularly. She was the dominant female and I think she threw her weight around a bit. I would not suggest cats our other fluffy animals unless the person knows bull breeds and is confident training and introducing to her. She is very sweet with people and a good guard dog. She is not destructive or noisy. that us about all I can tell/suggest at this point.

I'll never understand what knowing Bull Breeds has to do with anything. If she's not good with smaller animals, there's plenty of non-Bull Breed experienced people who can manage that. It's not exactly an exclusive Bull Breed behaviour.

/rawr. :o

She looks like a lovely girl - I'm a sucker for the sadsack faces.

I'll never understand what knowing Bull Breeds has to do with anything. If she's not good with smaller animals, there's plenty of non-Bull Breed experienced people who can manage that. It's not exactly an exclusive Bull Breed behaviour.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

She's an example of the ever expanding label of 'Bull Breed' too.

What a sad face she has. Lovely to see she has so many donations and offers of assistance though - hope there's someone who can take her on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

She's an example of the ever expanding label of 'Bull Breed' too.

What a sad face she has. Lovely to see she has so many donations and offers of assistance though - hope there's someone who can take her on.

God, I know! Seriously, sometimes I think people conflate 'large' or 'brindle' with 'bull breed', too.

The description came from the ranger and she is supposed to be an American Bulldog cross (according to the previous owner) hence she presumably referred to her as a bull breed...

I don't think every person within and outside of DOL constantly needs to be corrected on such minor issues.. I for one am glad that this ranger is so helpful and concerned for the animals in the pound and I think she is doing an amazing job....

Anyway she went in for her spay today and should be with a foster carer by now (organized by the local ranger) until transport. She is now safe with Eleventh Hour Dog Rescue :)

Thanks Everybody who shared, cared and chipped in!

The description came from the ranger and she is supposed to be an American Bulldog cross (according to the previous owner) hence she presumably referred to her as a bull breed...

I don't think every person within and outside of DOL constantly needs to be corrected on such minor issues.. I for one am glad that this ranger is so helpful and concerned for the animals in the pound and I think she is doing an amazing job....

Anyway she went in for her spay today and should be with a foster carer by now (organized by the local ranger) until transport. She is now safe with Eleventh Hour Dog Rescue :)

It may seem minor but this kind of language and jargon is very pervasive and has a wide-reaching negative effect. The way language is used is everything, really.

It's not necessarily 'correcting' but it's certainly worth highlighting and picking up when it happens.

Very glad to see that she's with a foster carer now, and that the Ranger has done so much for her.

Oh, I totally agree that the ranger is doing a great job, and I'm really glad that this girl's story is out there :)

I'm just really aware of the fact that in my area, a lot of people hate staffies and staffy type dogs - and every bull breed looking dog is labelled a 'pitbull' and the rumours start flying. So the more dogs that are labelled bull breeds, the more dogs there are to be scared of :/

90% of the dogs I see around here are oodles, and god forbid a staffy comes to the dog park.. a few people in particular snatch their SWFs to their chest and high tail it out of there!