Coursing - Greyhounds

gapvic

Today we stood out in the freezing weather at Longwood for the coursing. For those who have never been, coursing is where two greyhounds are hand slipped behind a lure (either a trolley lure like a normal race track, or a drag lure). The dog who wins the course will then go on against the winner of the previous course etc. It's great fun, very family orientated, and completely different to circle racing.

Being checked by the vet beforehand

9333737106_42e2339b52_z.jpg

On the way to the start

9333737938_2ab6ee72e7_z.jpg

9330964821_8ccf1e740f_z.jpg

9330964529_92db67ea3e_z.jpg

Being put in the slips

9330959969_f558a6b18e_z.jpg

9330958737_10d3c2a259_z.jpg

Racing

9333735378_9757ff4a81_z.jpg

9333748372_d4d5860a81_z.jpg

White collar wins

9330966741_df29833b1d_z.jpg

9330943873_02bd095561_z.jpg

Heaps more photos here My link

great shots, I like the sepia to give them the old time look. I think the slipper is Gary Brett, he's the better of the two I know of. Very flamboyant isn't he. :D

I took photos of him slipping when I first got my 400D and gave them to him on a disc. He was quite chuffed I think. They weren't anywhere near as good as yours though. I wasn't able to get very close.

All the other coursing meets I attended I was driving the lure so couldn't take shots.

Edited by Kirislin

He did a brilliant job Kirislin, he was great with the dogs. I asked if it was ok that I came and stood behind him and they were happy with that, as long as I kept out of the way. I also went and stood in the catching pen but I was much more at risk in there of being bowled over so I didn't stay long :laugh:

Today we stood out in the freezing weather at Longwood for the coursing. For those who have never been, coursing is where two greyhounds are hand slipped behind a lure (either a trolley lure like a normal race track, or a drag lure). The dog who wins the course will then go on against the winner of the previous course etc. It's great fun, very family orientated, and completely different to circle racing.

Memories - as a child I attended coursing as it used to be, real hares!!! Horrible to think about but that was what it was like those days. Very rare for hare to be caught (or that is what they told me) but no excuse, the thought of animals literally being "hounded" makes me ill. I'm now anti any form of racing animals for someone's gain, fun days are OK, but racing will never stop, too much money in it these days. And my first knitting attempts were the red and white collars the dogs wore..............

I'm sure there would be coursing in NSW Pesh - just google National Coursing Association NSW and you should find the site. I'm not sure about up there, but the coursing people down here are very warm, friendly and welcoming.

Absolutely beautiful photos gapvic :) You have captured the power and eagerness of the dogs so well :thumbsup:

A family I worked for in the late 80's as a groom did coursing, and I went a few times with them. They had a grey and we met up with friends who had a deerhound and a couple of lurchers. The hares were very rarely caught, and it was a swift end for them when they were, but to see the pairs of dogs twisting and turning in the fields was amazing!