Siberian Husky Breed Variations?

Kirislin

Yes Hope is a pedigree girl.

Different than what you see in the show ring sure.

Racing lines seem to produce the more out there colours / patterns.

Which may be something show breeders select against.

She's not an alaskan ( or a tamaskan- the 'wolf hybrid' breed you mentioned in the other thread- which has no wolf blood)

This is an Alaskan I had the pleasure of racing

992860_662223990459019_1973062148_n.jpg

Anyone interested to see more should have a look at this :)

It's a gallery from one of the biggest races this year. You can see sibes in all their shapes and forms

wow! if I didn't know any better I'd be asking it that's a border collie/kelpie cross, with maybe even a bit of greyhound in there! I couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Hope is a pedigree girl.

Different than what you see in the show ring sure.

Racing lines seem to produce the more out there colours / patterns.

Which may be something show breeders select against.

She's not an alaskan ( or a tamaskan- the 'wolf hybrid' breed you mentioned in the other thread- which has no wolf blood)

This is an Alaskan I had the pleasure of racing

992860_662223990459019_1973062148_n.jpg

Anyone interested to see more should have a look at this :)

https://www.facebook...&type=3

It's a gallery from one of the biggest races this year. You can see sibes in all their shapes and forms

wow! if I didn't know any better I'd be asking it that's a border collie/kelpie cross, with maybe even a bit of greyhound in there! I couldn't be more wrong.

She could very well be one as technically an alaskan husky is anything bred for racing purposes (actually quite often they are GSP mixes).

She could very well be one as technically an alaskan husky is anything bred for racing purposes (actually quite often they are GSP mixes).

Not really- Alaskan's are a breed within their own right.

There was a recent DNA study that showed alaskan huskies as a more distinct breed than malamutes and sibes.

Link About Study

This feller is a littermate to the dog I was pictured running before

208831_363042503751659_838941887_n.jpg

Racing hounds on the other hand are a totally different kettle of carp. They usually have some sighthound, gun dog and alaskan husky.

Hello! Did someone call my name?

Hope is most definately a registered, purebred Siberian Husky. She is a combination of Igloo Pak and Polarspeed lines and is a half sister to one of our youngsters, Ruff.

The European lines are quite different to the US/Canadian lines and in our kennel, we have both :)

I'm so glad I asked this question, I'm loving seeing the racing line photos. I'm surprised more people dont want them as pets because (to me) they look much more wolfy and primitive than the show lines of Siberian huskies.

I would really love the opportunity to photograph the races sometime, but they're always a long way from where I live and I'm a bit tied down to just day trips because of my dogs.

Your kelpies could do it for sure :p

And we don't use sleds ( except at the snow)

We use bicycles, scooters or rigs..

You should come check out nationals in a couple of weeks in canberra ;)

If I can get there I will! Maybe would be keen as mustard I think :thumbsup:

The ASSA National Championship race is being held by the Canberra Sled Dog Club this year (a race put on by our club) at Kowen Forest in Queanbeyan on the 17th & 18th August.

Check out www.canberrasleddogclub.com.au

Race-Flyer-2013_zpse55bc51c.jpg

Edited by idigadog