Mita Where Are You?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delightful little Billy has had a meet and greet last weekend with a lovely couple from Bayswater in Melbourne that seems very promising. He is off for a two week trial with them this weekend.

They have three cats, so I took Billy to a friend's home for further cat testing. She is a cat rescuer, and has quite a range of mostly not-dog-friendly cats and various other animals.

Billy passed with flying colours, ignoring the kittens and cats who hissed etc. One brave cat came up and touched noses with him, and then leapt away when that glorious Tibbie tail began to wag. Billy thought this was a play invite, and bounded joyfully after it, only to sigh and turn away resignedly when the cat hissed a warning.

He did fall in love with an orphan lamb there though which was the cutest thing! My friend was most impressed and has since asked after "that little lion dog""! She said most dogs that visit usually bark at, chase or stare intently at the cats and are quickly taken away. Billy was there for about an hour and all the cats were snoozing relaxedly by then.

He has been neutered, and while his stitches are still in, he is only allowed occasional playdates with my pug Cheddar, so he has trained us to throw a rope toy for him to fetch. Fortunately he tires of that game and takes the toy and puts it away before our arm muscles turn to jelly! There is apparently an older but frisky Tibbie a few doors down from his potential new home, so playdates are being arranged. :)

RP. I've got happy tears here. I think I know the lovely folk where Billy's going on trial. He couldn't be given a chance by nicer, more genuine people.

That description of his behaviour is so 'Tibbie'. They are such 'buddhist' little dogs It's like owning the Dalai Lama on 4 legs... complete with the big smile, except tibbies do it with those plumey tails.

I love how he made friends with the lamb. Maybe he thought it was another tibbie! Good to know he's got a fellow tibbie nearby to bond with. He sounds like he'd love playdates. Maybe Pam from the TSAV could put his new family in touch with other tibbie pet owners.... for some more play????

Lily the tibbie next door & our cat, Sarah, are the greatest of playmates. They don't care who's chasing who.... so long as there's a game going on. When they catch up, there's kisses & licks.

Thank you... & Cheddar ... for all the help you gave little Billy.

How lovely! RP I am not far from Bayswater if they need any help integrating everyone :) Sometimes it's the cats not the dog that need assistance!!!

:thumbsup: Couldn't come from a more qualified person.

There's a legend that says tibetan spaniels are the Buddha's own little dogs. They play around his feet, make him laugh & warn him of any danger. So he takes special care of tibbies in trouble. He sure seems to be lurking somewhere for Billy... with so many people stepping up for him.... with exactly what he needs. :)

Thank you TSD, this couple is very very experienced with cats (and rescuing cats), not so much with dogs but they are very very open to advice and have a couple of lines of contact, I'm sure they would welcome a third so will pass that on. :)

Mita, yes I think Buddha or one of his mates has stepped in for this little guy, he has a couple of great breaks - the first was NOT going to the pf who was very interested - PHEW!

His trial will be delayed by a week as his potential Mum is ill, but he is safe here until she is recovered,

Thank you TSD, this couple is very very experienced with cats (and rescuing cats), not so much with dogs but they are very very open to advice and have a couple of lines of contact, I'm sure they would welcome a third so will pass that on. :)

Mita, yes I think Buddha or one of his mates has stepped in for this little guy, he has a couple of great breaks - the first was NOT going to the pf who was very interested - PHEW!

His trial will be delayed by a week as his potential Mum is ill, but he is safe here until she is recovered,

It was thanks to you... & tt, I think, too.... that's he's now not a puppy farmer's 'stock'.

You're right that his new mum & dad are very experienced & open to advice. I know his 'mum' & we've had some interesting conversations in the past. Hope his mum recovers soon....

BTW Brissie tibbie owners met a couple of Tibetan Buddhist monks who told them that tibbies were the Buddha's little dogs. And that he specially blesses anyone who helps a tibbie. So....that lovely line of Billy's friends... consider yourselves blessed. :)

Edited by mita

• 4 weeks later...

YAY it's official my partner and I have adopted Billy :dancingelephant::cheer::happydance2::happydance:

Billy is a dream dog to own, we cannot fathom why his previous owners did not want to keep him. He has settled in very well and has been excellent with our cats. The cats are not terribly impressed but his manners are wonderful and they are very slowly getting used to having him around. He still tries to play with them but he has never shown any sign of wanting to hurt them so we are very confident they will eventually accept he is here to stay. Billy is already a very much loved part of our family and I cannot imagine our life without him even though he can be very stubborn.

I joined this site nearly 4 years ago looking for a dog that was perfect for us, well we have finally found him and it was well worth the wait.

Here are some photos of the newest member of our family

His first day

P8240008_zps23b92567.jpg

Billy doing his happy dance when he knows we have roast chicken

DSC_0029_zpsecc9ae7e.jpg

Playing with his lion

DSC_0013_zps391496e9.jpg

He has so much fur, he weighs 5 kg and I'm sure 4kg is fur

DSC_0032_zps2ee0fec8.jpg

Watching my OH

DSC_0033_zpsfa4017ee.jpg

Enough with the photos mum :laugh:

DSC_0006_zps9f29c1b2.jpg

A huge :thanks: to RuralPug for saving this lovely dog and for looking after him an extra couple of weeks while I recovered from pneumonia and for all the help and support she has given me during the trial period. And also I must say :thanks: to Mita for all her support and advice and to TheSpottedDevil for her help.

Congrats everyone. Many happy years ahead for Billy and his Valbitz family. Those photographs are beautiful.

Unfortunately the photos don't show his beautiful nature and temperament. He justs loves meeting people and wants to say hello to everyone, young, old, wheelchair bound he doesn't care.

My god, he's so beautiful! What a knockout. And doesn't he know how to pose. :)

RP said from the first time she got him in foster-care, that he had a gorgeous nature. You're going to win piles of new friends whenever you take him out.

Valbitz, the stubborn bit is so like a Tibbie. They approach everything with the questions, 'The point of this is... what?' and 'What's in it for me?'. If you can give a Tibbie a convincing answer for both.... it'll be in like a shot, & never forget.'

So different from the working breeds we used to have, who said, 'Your wish is my command!'.

Sneaking in a plug for a p/b Tibbie boy, named Tibby, who's for adoption from 4Paws Animal Rescue at Nambour, Qld (just north of Brisbane). His foster-carer describes him as a real honey-bear type Tibbie, same as Billy. She says she'll miss him when he goes (sound familiar?).

Full description, pic, application details here (don't know if they do interstate):

http://www.4pawsanimalrescue.org.au/dogs.html

........ from 4Paws Animal Rescue at Nambour, Qld (just north of Brisbane).

I broke my rule of not looking at rescue organisations' website :( .

What a stunning lot of dogs this organisation has.

You're not wrong, DD. And an excellent rescue, in every way. They've been consistently like that ... no flash in the pan.

Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small to medium dog (tho' they do have bigger ones sometimes, too).

Also to anyone who'd like to foster for them.