Dew Claws

Zereuloh

So after visiting with our vet today she suggested that we have Tyrions rear dew claws removed because they get damaged easily. Is this necessary? pro's and con's to getting it done?

Edited by Zereuloh

Many breeders remove them when pups are just a few days old. Sumo came to me with no dew claws, front or rear. At this age it may be a bit bigger procedure than an infant puppy. I can think of no other negatives to having them gone though. Then again if you always keep them short they shouldn't really raise too many problems.

I'd do it while having him desexed (as you mentioned in the other thread). Saves him having to undergo another surgery if they cause problems in the future. A friend of mine had her girl's rear ones removed when she was desexed and there were no major recovery problems, she just had little bandaged feet for a while. Obviously it would probably be a longer recovery than a normal neuter but I'd personally see it as worth that bit of extra time.

I had my Border Collie April's rear dewclaws removed when she was desexed at 6 months back in 1993. I'm a squeamish person & to me they were worse to look after than the spay incision, didn't look good at all. After things healed though you would never know she had had them done.

Except in the few breeds like Briards that are required to keep their rear dew claws, all reputable breeders should be having rear dew claws removed at about 3 days old so puppies should never be sold with them. I cannot believe all the dogs I am hearing about lately with rear dew claws. Checking for and having rear dew claws removed is all part of being a responsible breeder.

My vets will not remove dewclaws until desexing even if they are rear dew claws. Then they will only remove rear dewclaws as to remove front dewclaws is deemed, by them, as unethical.

If other vets are this way as I assume there would be some, then it doesn't suprise me that puppies are being left with dewclaws on more and more.

Edited by OSoSwift

My vets will not remove dewclaws until desexing even if they are rear dew claws. Then they will only remove rear dewclaws as to remove front dewclaws is deemed, by them, as unethical.

If other vets are this way as I assume there would be some, then it doesn't suprise me that puppies are being left with dewclaws on more and more.

You have a very weird vet who clearly knows nothing about purebred dogs. I have never heard of any vet refusing to do rear dew claws on newborn puppies. Some object to doing front ones so the breeders of breeds where they are removed, find vets who are happy to do them. Show dogs do not get desexed so you cannot wait until then to do dewclaws. I find it odd that your vet would object to the simple and quick removal or rear dew claws in babies but is happy to inflict more pain and much more healing time on the dogs by doing them when they are older.

You have a very weird vet who clearly knows nothing about purebred dogs. I have never heard of any vet refusing to do rear dew claws on newborn puppies. Some object to doing front ones so the breeders of breeds where they are removed, find vets who are happy to do them. Show dogs do not get desexed so you cannot wait until then to do dewclaws. I find it odd that your vet would object to the simple and quick removal or rear dew claws in babies but is happy to inflict more pain and much more healing time on the dogs by doing them when they are older.

Rear dew claws are so easy to remove. They are usually barely attached by a tiny bit of skin, nothing like the front ones.

I know go figure, but there are very few show dogs down here and very few pedigree dogs, so I guess pets are the norm and so is pushing for desexing - which honestly down here is a good thing!!!

I find it annoying to be honest but they are the only vet so I had to suck it up, call my breeder and do some youtubing and did mine myself. Their staff formed the local branch of the Friends of The RSPCA so they tend to follow, what the RSPCA don't like, they won't do.

They will not remove them with doing a GA so therefore won't do it until a puppy is old enough to have a GA which often is when they are desexed.

ETA mine only had front ones no rear ones.

Edited by OSoSwift

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we will certainly get them removed when we get him desexed. Which will be when the breeder suggested (around 9 months). I contacted his breeder to ask his advice as well, and he was very surprised to hear that he had them, even more surprised cause he and his vet missed them. So he has asked if he can come and visit Tyrion next week. He said its unusual for corgi's to have them so he's interested in coming to see him.

I know go figure, but there are very few show dogs down here and very few pedigree dogs, so I guess pets are the norm and so is pushing for desexing - which honestly down here is a good thing!!!

I find it annoying to be honest but they are the only vet so I had to suck it up, call my breeder and do some youtubing and did mine myself. Their staff formed the local branch of the Friends of The RSPCA so they tend to follow, what the RSPCA don't like, they won't do.

They will not remove them with doing a GA so therefore won't do it until a puppy is old enough to have a GA which often is when they are desexed.

ETA mine only had front ones no rear ones.

Oh, I can understand them not doing front dew claws because that is often just to make the legs look neater and there is a lot of evidence now to say that it is preferable for dogs to keep the front ones, especially if they do dog sports as it prevents wrist injuries. I have a breed where the front ones are always left on by most breeders.

So Tyrion's breeder came to see him today - as I said, he was quite surprised to hear Tyrion had rear dew claws as its the first time he has had a pup born with them. Anyway, he asked as what our vet suggested we do which is to get them removed at time of desexing. He said that was fine and to get a quote from the vet and send it to him so he can cover the cost of the removal. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
1375322287[/url]' post='6267223']

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we will certainly get them removed when we get him desexed. Which will be when the breeder suggested (around 9 months). I contacted his breeder to ask his advice as well, and he was very surprised to hear that he had them, even more surprised cause he and his vet missed them. So he has asked if he can come and visit Tyrion next week. He said its unusual for corgi's to have them so he's interested in coming to see him.

There are reasons to keep dew claws. See recent thread in the General discussion. http://www.dolforums...move-dew-claws/

Although dew claws may get torn, front dew claws are an integral part of the leg. Removing them may make your dog less able to manipulate things with its front paws and may destabilize gait in ways that produce arthritis. Dew claw removal is getting less popular in some agility circles. See http://www.caninespo...explanation.pdf

Oops! Didn't read carefully. You said REAR dew claws. Almost no one thinks these are functional.

Edited by sandgrubber

1375322287[/url]' post='6267223']

There are reasons to keep dew claws. See recent thread in the General discussion. http://www.dolforums...move-dew-claws/

Although dew claws may get torn, front dew claws are an integral part of the leg. Removing them may make your dog less able to manipulate things with its front paws and may destabilize gait in ways that produce arthritis. Dew claw removal is getting less popular in some agility circles. See http://www.caninespo...explanation.pdf

Thank you. But my enquiry was regarding rear dew claws only. We've made the decision to have rear dew claws removed on advice of our breeder and our vet.

Edited by Zereuloh