Doggy Daycare

YouMe&Bones

Hi everyone :)

I know a daycare for dogs isn't everyone's cup of tea(and that I respect) but for those of you who would consider taking their dogs to one or already do...

What do you want a daycare to offer you and your dog?

From the premises(inside/outside areas), the owner/staff, the care, the qualifications, the activities & even the photo's/report cards

I've worked in one outside of Australia for many years & I've also trialed/visited many around Australia but I feel we don't quite have it right over here. Maybe it's something I want to look into and do myself but I would really like to get the opinions of serious dog lovers first!

Thanks in advance

I would want a good staff to dog ratio, hygiene, all dogs vaccinated and healthy looking. Access to a sunny area and also a few areas dogs could withdraw to if feeling harassed although I'm not sure how that would be managed.

I think there is a lot of pent up demand for doggy day care. I use a kennel that offers day care at the moment and am quite happy with that as all the kennel facilities apply. I look for separation of small and large as well.

Thanks!

I think everything you have suggested or would want is after all reasonable when someone else is looking after your beloved dog!

It is all achievable, I've worked somewhere that had the highest standards in everything you could ever want.

I'm just wondering why its a little harder to find over here, especially in Vic?

Maybe due to being in residential area & the restrictions placed on the business and how the dogs are allowed to behave.

Also what would you pay for an 8-10 hour stint at daycare?

I find it alarming that just like dog grooming, ANYONE can open a dodgy err, doggy day care with no checks or balances in place, no required minimum standards, no qualifications required etc etc :(

To be honest the only time I've thought about using daycare is when we have rental inspection and somebody won't be home to make sure Esky isn't a pest when the person goes to look in the back yard,

I would just want to know it's not a free for all and the staff had brains

I find it alarming that just like dog grooming, ANYONE can open a dodgy err, doggy day care with no checks or balances in place, no required minimum standards, no qualifications required etc etc :(

That's why I'm asking dog lovers what they want as it seems very easy to maintain a daycare here...even though it may take a little to get the required permits there aren't many other regulations

I suspect they are less common over here as there are fewer dogs living in apartments and we don't get snowy winters that make it hard for them to play outdoors, most people here would leave their dogs in the yard if they weren't going to be home. I suspect that as more people live in apartments and more apartments accept dogs the demand will start to increase.

I suspect they are less common over here as there are fewer dogs living in apartments and we don't get snowy winters that make it hard for them to play outdoors, most people here would leave their dogs in the yard if they weren't going to be home. I suspect that as more people live in apartments and more apartments accept dogs the demand will start to increase.

Guess it depends on where you live as to how common they are. I have about 10 within a 10 minute drive of me, so I'd say they are pretty common.

Most of them are free for all play sessions, some of them seperated into large and not large dogs. The staff to dog ratios aren't usually anywhere near adequate, and the majority of staff don't have any qualifications in anything to do with animals - although some are groomers (because most day care also offering grooming services).

I know a few people that use them, and I've never heard any issues about our local ones, but I'd not personally use one. I have a dog walker and prefer the one-on-one attention from her (well, two on one as I have two dogs) when she comes a few times a week to break up their days while I'm at work.

I second your views, Minimax. Maybe a minimum requirement of Cert II Animal Studies but I prefer one on one exercise -dog walkers are cheap enough and many also provide training. Dog daycare might help with separation anxiety dogs though.