Anyone Ever Just Put One Prefix On Their Application?

kelpiecuddles

I've searched a databas e i found for Australian prefixes and would appreciate any links to other spots I can check incase it's already in use, but I just had one of those moments when you realise that something is perfect. I came up with what I would LOVE to be my prefix in years to come when I am ready to take the next step in to breeding. I feel like I'd almost be devestated if I put in other options and this one wasn't picked so I'm wondering whether anyone has just put in one and taken the rsik that it might be knocked back? Is there an extra cost if this happens?(As in to you have to pay a second application fee?)

Also does anyone know how they define 'common words' in this guideline:

The use of names of towns, places, countries, notable persons, common words, Christian names, Surnames or names that

are misleading as to sex, origin or relationship, well know flora & fauna, dog breeds or names that depict in violence may

be refused.

I wouldn't say the word I am keen on is common but it seems a bit subjective to me? My only concern is that I have noticed it used a few times as a component of show names for dogs, would that likely stuff me up?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's what any given checker will define as a common word. One may pass what another would bar, it is very subjective. confused.gif

I have known people to list 10 or 20 and have them all rejected, if I was applying in this day and age when choices are compared with databases all over the world I wouldn't be game to list just one. I did get my first choice, but that was 40 odd years ago and it is a phrase crammed into seven letters, therefore not a "common" word.

If your first choice can be found in the dictionary and reflects your chosen breed in some manner the chances are high that someone else has used it or something close enough to preclude you from getting your choice. frown.gif

Don't despair, put it down as your first choice by all means, but don't set your heart on it just in case. List other choices, think of ways to combine that word with another to make something unique or alter the spelling or both.

Consider also as possible choices your chosen word translated into another language - if it is an obscure language then it could be a way of getting the word you want even if someone else already has it! laugh.gif

That's what i was thinking RP, thanks for your thoughts. I did think of another phrase that menas the same thing but is a phrase rather than a word so maybe less likely. Is there somewhere where I can search prefixes from further afield easily? I found one for Australia but haven't been able to find ones for other areas yet. I've also googled the names I'm thinking in combination with the word breeder and kennel and so far so good. :confused:

Doesn't hurt to just put one if that's the one you really want - they can only say no after all - but instead of stressing and googling you could ring Dogs NSW and simply asking if it's been used.

Even if it isn't used they won't be able to confirm you can have it over the phone but at least you'll know it's passed the first hurdle.

I listed 10 and got the one from about halfway down the list. I really really really wanted my first choice (Dalluxe, a play on dalmatian and my surname) but maybe becasue it is too like the real word deluxe it got rejected.

I would definately follow Sandra's advice though. I would have done that if I had known I could have :)

Who knows how it really works. I really wanted my first choice but figured if they didn't approve it and I didn't suggest others they would just send it back. I got about number four.

Now my first choice was not ever used in Australia, and I couldn't find any links to it in the breed worldwide. For the rest of my list I put down names that I sort of liked but I didn't research them.

The one I got is an active prefix in the same breed overseas... I wasn't too impressed when I found out as I thought that was the whole point of them checking. Plus the one I got has since been used as a celebrity name for some weirdo on Eurovision... So if you google it now that is what you see. Where is mr rolly eyes when you need him?? :laugh:

Under the ANKC rules an application for Prefix must include at least two choices of names.

3. The applications shall be submitted on the prescribed form, and shall include two (2)

alternative selections of names in order of preference.

You risk delaying your application if you only submit the one name. Your application form could be returned to you and depending on which state you live in, you may also be charged an incorrect paperwork fee.

Even if you make only one name choice and the form is accepted it doesnt make any difference to the outcome. If it isnt a word that is acceptable under the rules it will be rejected, regardless of how many names you list. They are checked in order of listing and the first one that clears all checks is the one that gets the nod.

You are better off submitting a full list even if it's simply to speed up the process and reduce the frustration factor.

Should you be allocated a name that you really dont like, it's possible for you to cancel that prefix and reapply for another one. Slow, tedious and expensive but as long as you do it by the rules it should be OK.

The ANKC system checks all prefixes which are active in Australia and also each name "must not be identical to, or similar in spelling, or phonetically, to a prefix name already registered, which could be deemed to cause misunderstanding, or confusion."

As to active prefixes overseas, the only way that the Australian system can pick this up is if the owner of that prefix specifically applies to ANKC to have that prefix protected, or if it is a commonly known prefix with imported dogs in this country bearing that prefix name and therefore the name is picked up through the checking system.

I had a prefix, but decided I wanted another one in the 80s. I submitted one name, and it was accepted. The only problem with submitting one or two is that they might both be rejected, increasing the time taken to obtain a prefix.

I did it one at a time, though I only did get to the second time applying before I got mine.

I didn't want to end up with one I hated so took a few months to decide on a second one and years for the first one, and I love the one I have now than my first choice! :D

I was in no rush so didn't mind applying one at a time.

Edited by tollersowned

I just recieved my prefix a few weeks ago with Vic Dogs, my 1 st 6 were rejected ,then out of the second lot of 6 , the 2 nd one was accepted, here in Victoria , we have to be a member for 12 months , then sit and pay for a breeders exam test which you must pass before you can even put your application in for your prefix, I was just so happy in the end to have a prefix I didn't care what name was selected out of the ones I submitted as I liked them all