Taronga Zoo Pics

tdierikx

Well - today was MUCH better... but I've taken 1700+ photos, so they'll take some time to go through... errr!

Grizabella - I have LOTS of Chimp photos for you - but Shikamoo was being particularly coy today, so not so many of him. Kibalu and Kimya were a bit more active than usual today, so have a few of Kibalu NOT lying around looking bored... haven't checked how many are in good focus yet...

Have a series of a Tiger yawning... yay! And the Binturong chewing...

Hoping that more of the Otter shots came out in focus for a change - dog knows, I took enough of them!

Off to sort photos now...

T.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha! 999 photos of Chimps - 811 after deleting the crap ones... errr!

I am a bit distressed about the old girl (Lulu?) though... she was not getting around very easily today, and has what appears to be a newish large scar on her head... I've looked at her photos taken today and actually started to cry... *sob*

At the other end of the fun scale, I've got tons of gorgeous photos of everyone except your fave boy Shikamoo - he was playing hideys behind the logs... grrr! You will love the shots of Sembe and Sule playing... got lots of those.

One of the girls saw something floating in the moat and decided to retrieve it - until she realised it was a dead fruit bat. I have the whole thing in a series of pics, with very interested onlookers, and one of the littlies having a go at it too (from up on high and to little effect though... lol!)

Oh - and it looks like Sule's mum (Sasha?) is coming into season and is being a big tart... and I got a few of her telling Sule to bugger off a few times too... so he slapped her a couple of times - cheeky sod!

I'm completely knackered now and need to shower and eat... then I'm going to veg out in front of the TV and go to bed. Will get the best pics sorted and up tomorrow evening, OK? (I'll do a separate set especially of the Chimps on Flickr for you grizabella - there are so many of them)

T.

Poor Lulu, I hope she does get some support from Lubutu, but it must still be tough being an old lady in a big community of rowdy chimps! I'm looking forward to seeing your chimp photos tomorrow, I'll be visiting Monarto Zoo so I'll probably be posting a few pics myself. :)

Hurray for shots actually being in focus! It took a few pretty awful and out of focus shots today of Bella having a run round the greyhound track, it's always nice when at least some of the photos turn out in focus!

Looking at Lulu yesterday, she really did look really old and not doing so well physically. Her movement was really stiff and she was keeping well away from the others most of the time. The newish looking large scar on her head worries me - I'm sure it wasn't there last weekend. Her movement looked like a combination of arthritis and possibly some bruising from a pummelling. She really looked like she doesn't have much more time with us, the poor old dear.

T.

Amazing pictures!

Whenever i go to the zoo the animals are always just sitting around doing nothing. how to do you catch them being "interesting"? Do you zig zag back and forth, revisiting past enclosures numerous times in a day hoping to catch some activity??

There's a lot of zigging and zagging... and sometimes knowing when the keeper talks are about to start is a good thing - get there before the crowds and get a decent spot. Keeper talks often coincide with feeding so the animals are more energetic at that point in time...

I've been going to the zoo every weekend for a few weeks now also, so there's no real urgency to see everything or anything in particular... I get to be fairly leisurely in my meanderings.

T.

I hope you don't mind the load of favourites and comments you'll have to scroll through on your flickr! Lovely photos. :)

Fave and comment to your heart's content grizabella... I'm learning heaps from your comments on the chimps... thanks heaps! Hopefully I'll be able to tell them all apart reliably eventually... lol!

Next time you make it up here to Sydney, we need to meet up at the Chimp exhibit (on a weekend if you can) and you can help me pick everyone out....

T.

Grrr! I was all ready to rab my camera and head off to check out Symbio Zoo... then I saw Harper's face...

The naughty Horse Puppy had obviously bitten a bee or a wasp, and her usually gorgeous squid lips had swollen up to Shar Pei size... so off to the vet we went. 2 shots later, we are back home on observation duty to make sure the shots take and the swelling goes down. The naughty bee eater is now confined to her crate for a couple of hours to keep her out of trouble... *grin*

Looks like I'll have to mow the lawn instead of going to the zoo today... reduce the temptation for those nasty bees...

T.

Harper is fine now... I just had to put all my Saturday plans on hold in order to make sure that the antihisimines kicked in and stopped her swelling up more. Cheeky bloody puppy didn't seem too bothered by the whole thing either.

It took a long time for the swelling to go down. She was stung sometime around 8am, had the shots at 9:30am (as soon as the vet opened), and it was past 4pm before the swelling had gone down enough around her face for her to get her head into her dinner bowl. The hives cleared up pretty quickly though - only a couple of hours after the shots before her skin lumps were gone.

I'll be going to Taronga today as planned... assuming the naughty horse puppy doesn't find herself another bee... *grin*

I mowed the lawn to reduce it's appeal to bees...

T.

I outdid myself today... over 2000 photos taken... well made up for not photos yesterday... lol!

Have deleted 700 crap ones and am ready to sort them out and pick the really nice ones to share - but am completely knackered, need a shower, and a feed. Then I'm probably going to crash on the couch...

So I'll sort them out and post up the nicest ones tomorrow evening, OK?

T.