Taronga Zoo Pics

tdierikx

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm loving it LisaCC... and I think I'm improving somewhat too... I only took 730 photos today... *grin*... previous visits have been well above 1000 to sort through (and delete a lot of... errr!)

What really irked me today was this bunch of people who had 3 or 4 strollers with sleeping children in that they jammed up to all of the possible viewing points for the big cats so that no-one else could get near enough to take pics without getting glare off the glass... how hard would it have been for them to move the darned strollers out of the way and let everyone enjoy the view? They were also really rude in other ways too... spoils it a bit...

I had a good chat with one of the lovely ladies that looks after the gorillas, and she was looking through the pics I got today with much pleasure... I think when I've got enough really nice ones, I'll make up a photo book for the keepers... they do an awesome job... and it would be a nice thank you, yes?

T.

Mmm yes, I much prefer to try and visit Zoos on a weekday well away from school holiday times. much quieter and you get the good look out spots smile.gif

I think that is a brilliant idea! The keepers at Taronga are great, and yes they do so much. When I did some placement there I remember keepers hand raising tiny baby animals and taking them home everyday, feeding them all night for no extra pay. I was also lucky enough to be there when some babies were expected, and they had keepers on night shifts to watch the Camera's in dens for more than a week to make sure everything was going ok!

They care so much about their animals I'm sure they would love it!

Latest set now up - Taronga Zoo 11th August 2013 - link to sets is http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdierikx/sets/

Here's a taste of today's lot...

9485870184_33954552fb_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 066 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9485869082_90bf72f99b_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 191 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9483071473_f6481157b7_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 199 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9485865872_1afaeb2ee1_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 277 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9483063095_a5e942e878_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 530 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9483061835_d3f16a16ec_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 629 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9485857540_59d76ec413_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 705 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9483058981_312b75ebe6_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 750 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9485854530_1339c7d19f_b.jpg

11-08-2013-zoo 895 by tdierikx, on Flickr

Some cute stuff, yes?

T.

Some more great shots, looks like that lens is a ripper! How are you going with the weight? Did you see my post in the other thread about options for helping ease the weight? Shoulder straps wrist straps etc? I find it helps immensely especially with the heavy lenses.

Looks like you are getting your moneys worth from your zoo pass!

I'm building impressive biceps from holding 'the beast up, that's for sure!

Getting smarter about finding good vantage points that allow for resting arms or elbows on - or leaning into poles or walls for keeping steady. Think it's working?

LisaCC - those 3 and the echidna checking me out are some of my faves too...

T.

Really - I'm getting used to the weight of the camera and lens - and building some upper body strength at the same time... win/win, yes?

Add that to the fact that walking around the Zoo is doing wonders for developing calf/leg muscles and general fitness - and the whole Zoo is non-smoking, so I can't have a puff whenever I feel the need... I may get fit in the process... *grin*

T.

great photos nice to see your out enjoying your new lens :)

thanks for those links tlc I have a round the neck strap might looked into those shoulder ones :thumbsup:

No worries, the shoulder strap is a god send! Mine is only a cheapy but it is padded and you hardly know it is on there!

Funny moment today at work...

I was saying "only 2 sleeps until Saturday", when my boss turned around and asked why. I told him I was going to the zoo again on the weekend, and my co-workers let him in on the fact that I'd been going to the zoo every weekend for the past few weeks with my camera to take photos of the animals... and the boss looked at me with a confused look on his face...

... then I opened my Flickr page and showed him some of the pics I've taken... *grin*

I now have his permission to print them on our big colour laser printer if I want to... lol! (I've been tempted, but hadn't gotten around to asking if I could)

I might take a few of the original sized ones to work with me tomorrow on a nerd stick and see how they print up...

T.

Well - today dawned nice and sunny - and I headed off to the Zoo nice and early... and it was a bit of a bust...

I swear, nearly every darned animal there was in full "how boring can I be" mode.

The family of 5 Gorillas that are moving to Mogo Zoo soon weren't out at all - but I got a couple of pics of the 2 that are staying, even though they weren't really doing anything interesting.

The Chimps were all lazing right up the back of their exhibit ignoring the crowd completely - got a couple of shots, but nothing to write home about.

The Tigers were sleeping, but I managed to get a few shots of the male, who is never usually awake... and the Lions were all asleep too.

So I went around to the lesser frequented exhibits and had a bit more luck - got shots of the Tassie Devils, lots of birds, a Koala eating - and got chased by the Emu so didn't get any shots of him... lol! Ended up at the Free Flight Show and got a couple of cool shots... then went home...

Maybe tomorrow will be better...

Anyways - the 20 decent photos from today are up on my Flickr account... http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdierikx/

Here's a taste...

9529006554_6c16da5afa_b.jpg

17-08-2013-zoo 522 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9529008622_4f982ecea9_b.jpg

17-08-2013-zoo 318 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9526223971_afffe45b4b_b.jpg

17-08-2013-zoo 204 by tdierikx, on Flickr

9526225203_ddc626c661_b.jpg

17-08-2013-zoo 022 by tdierikx, on Flickr

T.