Good Quality Clippers?

Kirislin

A friend with a small white fluffy has asked me if I know what clippers are the best out of Wahl, Oster and Andis. She'd bought some cheapies and has nearly killed them already so wants to get a good quality brand that will last.

I have just gone off the Wahl clippers after killing yet another set (~6 or 8 now) and have just bought the new style Oster A6. If feels nice in the hand - similar to the Wahl but has a grippy handle. Don't go for the old style Oster, not worth it.

If I don't get much success with the Oster A6 then I will be trying Andis - I did try them once but I wasn't keen on the feel of them so at the time bought another set of Wahl...

Wait a few more weeks for the new Wahl to come on to the market and try those out before deciding. Fingers crossed they have have improved on the crap they have been producing the last few years.

Yes - personal preference, try them out first if possible.

Edited by Andisa

For just one pet dog the professional clippers of any of those brands will seem pretty good compared to the cheap 'pet trimmers' they have been using.

There is also the Heineger brand widely available now too.

Personally for professional use I don't like any of those brands & switched to Laube more than 10yrs ago. Laube is probably a bit of overkill for just one pet dog though.

Depends how much they want to spend.

After years of using Oster clippers and finding them OK but not great I have recently purchased a set of Heiniger Saphir cordless clippers. Not cheap ($365) but brilliant. They leave the Oster for dead, cut better are quieter, do not get hot and much easier to hold. If you can afford them I think they are worth the money. Oh and an added bonus mine are purple (LOL)

Edited by Airedaler

I clip my 7 dogs, (Used to be 17) and a friends dogs, with a Wahl KS 2 speed, and have had them for years, from grooming for over 20 years my hands now get a bit sore, so the Wahl are lighter and more ergonomic with my hands. I did use Oster for a few years and found them too heavy and not an easy grip. It comes down to whatever suits a particular person.

I have used Wahl, Oster, Andis and Laube. I have found Andis to be the best. Osters get hot too quick, Laube are too heavy (they do work great) and Wahl are ok but The quality isn't great.

The other benefit is Andis are the quietest with the least vibration.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I clip my 7 dogs, (Used to be 17) and a friends dogs, with a Wahl KS 2 speed, and have had them for years, from grooming for over 20 years my hands now get a bit sore, so the Wahl are lighter and more ergonomic with my hands. I did use Oster for a few years and found them too heavy and not an easy grip. It comes down to whatever suits a particular person.

I found the same. I started with Oster and then my wrists got arthritic so they were too heavy for me. They are a work horse though. Have had the same Wahls for about 8 yrs now and they have also been a work horse fbut much lighter and easier on my wrists. I haven't tried the Andis though.

It all boils down to personal preference and how they also feel in your hand. I prefer Wahl.

that is good to know, because I need some new clippers too, a bit like canon v nikon cameras LOL. Do you know of a good place to buy online too?

It all boils down to personal preference and how they also feel in your hand. I prefer Wahl.

that is good to know, because I need some new clippers too, a bit like canon v nikon cameras LOL. Do you know of a good place to buy online too?

Clipperworld are lovely people and easy to deal with.