Last Dogs Of Winter

Kirislin

I watched it and I must say that I found the fact that the dogs were chained up permanently rather disturbing. I understand that they are a dog bred for hard work who like nothing better than exercise so to keep them chained up seems cruel.

There were some great scenes of them playing with polar bears -one in particular the polar bear was rolling around on its back.

I watched it and I must say that I found the fact that the dogs were chained up permanently rather disturbing. I understand that they are a dog bred for hard work who like nothing better than exercise so to keep them chained up seems cruel.

There were some great scenes of them playing with polar bears -one in particular the polar bear was rolling around on its back.

Yes, it seemed very bleak to me sitting here warm in my house, but I suppose if he could get more help he'd be able to get them out and run them. He's got a full time job on his hands just keeping them going. Hopefully the doco will have generated alot more interest in them and he'll get some more help so the dogs can be worked.

I was just about to make a thread on this very subject with a link of them playing with the polar bears...

http://www.canadianeskimodogfoundation.ca/

Yes it did seem cruel keeping them chained but as was said not all the townspeople of Churchill liked them living nearby. Also the males would fight for the alpha position. They are not a dog to be kept inside because of their thick coats & any that do have access to homes find it much too hot.

If he was able to have help sledding them he would. He said people come to Churchill for the polar bear experience & don't give the dogs a second look. He also said that they are on the brink of extinction just as the polar bears are.