Reminder - Always Keep Dogs Secured In Cars.

CrazyCresties

as a light hearted aside to this important topic, i was standing chatting with someone in the car park of the dog park one day, i had one dog out of the car and the door open, with the other 2 dogs waiting on the back seat to get out. The lady, not knowing my dogs, commented how good they were just waiting to be told they could get out :) i burst out laughing and told her no, no, they're strapped in otherwise they'd be out like a shot! i should have just taken the credit and said yes, they're very well trained, hehe.

Max has figured out how to stomp on her seatbelt and get it undone, and I don't notice until I go to get her out of the car. So I'm on the lookout for a child-lock for the seatbelt to stop the smartybum pug, does anyone know if they exist?

It is awful to see that.

That poor pup is do lucky you were there.

I once had a similar thing happen.

I once was on my way back to work. A ute turned from a side road onto the main road I was on but in the other direction. As he accelerated around the corner I saw a young cattle dog come off the ute and land flat on her back in the middle of the road.

I immediately turned into the road and stopped traffic and carefully tried to catch a very distressed young dog. I succeeded but not after a bloody imbicile honked his horn at me and the dog from a few feet away. The poor dog ran - luckily not far, I gave him a mouthful and then managed to catch her, upon which he recieved another mouthful from me and another passerby who stopped to help.

Luckily she was very shaken but essentially uninjured. I couldn't believe the people who went around her having just seen her fall off the ute, or yelled at her to get out of the way.

The owner returned shortly afterwards and after copping a lecture, put her in the ute and drive off.

No unsecured dogs on back of utes.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you know if this means dogs can still be on the back of utes as long as they are chained to them, or flat out no dogs on backs of utes? I know it happens a lot, but I really hate seeing it, unless you're on a farm or something! Dogs on backs of utes on suburban roads (and 100 km/hr hwy's! eek1.gif) scare me :(

My dogs travel quite happily on the back of the ute. They are tethered to a belt that is bolted through the tray and wear a harness attached to that, plus a lead on a flat collared tethered to the backboard. We also have a ute crate. If they are secure then what is there to worry about? We have a tray mat as well. The GR goes bonkers in the car.

No unsecured dogs on back of utes.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you know if this means dogs can still be on the back of utes as long as they are chained to them, or flat out no dogs on backs of utes? I know it happens a lot, but I really hate seeing it, unless you're on a farm or something! Dogs on backs of utes on suburban roads (and 100 km/hr hwy's! eek1.gif) scare me :(

My dogs travel quite happily on the back of the ute. They are tethered to a belt that is bolted through the tray and wear a harness attached to that, plus a lead on a flat collared tethered to the backboard. We also have a ute crate. If they are secure then what is there to worry about? We have a tray mat as well. The GR goes bonkers in the car.

That right there. Many, many out there do not responsibly secure their dogs and leave them floating in the back. I personally find that very worrying.