I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

Any dog that comes at you with the intention to tear your dog apart is fair game. If it takes that to save your own dog then so be it. We are talking about having your dog killed in front of you, it's serious. I'd take a cattle prod with me if it were legal, my dog's welfare comes first over some nuf nuf's out of control dog.

I absolutely agree, I was attacked by two large dogs, I would have killed them if I could, fortunately that wasn't necessary as my explosive behavior with a golf umbrella was enough to put them off the idea, it's only when your feet are put to the coals that you know what you are capable of, I've been asked why I didn't just run and leave my dog to it, I could have no more done that then left one of my children under attack. She is like my child, I accepted responsibility of her as a puppy, I have to protect her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping I've picked the right way to post to this thread. ????

Last year I walked onto the nature strip of my house preparing to take my small non reactive dog for a walk, we were charged by two large off leash dogs that had just escaped from their garden when their owner opened the gates to drive in. One of the dogs picked up my little dog and started to shake her, I had an open umbrella ( it was raining lightly) which I clobbered the large dog with to make it drop her. My dog being covered in rain and dog saliva slipped her collar and ran back into my garden, I had no idea how badly hurt she was, whether she was lying in my garden injured, so I had to stop the large dogs following her, they were absolutely focussed on doing that, I was knocked to the ground as they tried to follow her, my large open umbrella was a big help as it confused them. Some neighbors ran out in answer to my screams and took charge of the large dogs, so I could check on my little girl, she'd run back in the house through her pet door, she was in shock and pain. I took her to the vets immediately.

I also rang the police, this is the crucial part of the story, don't ring council ring the local police station, and not triple 0 unless there are bad injuries of course, tell them you've been menaced, knocked over, bitten whatever has happened, the first thing they ask is "Where are the dogs now" they ring Animal Control for you, all councils are hopeless, they are all on tight budgets, they get no help from the state government to help them cope with the increasing dog attacks. The police turned up at my door and animal control were there the next day, the owners of the large dogs were fined over a $1000 and had to replace their garden fences as they were deemed inadequate and provide a fenced off area so their dogs couldn't get out of the front gates if they were left open. I'm not really popular with them but I don't give a flying whats it about that.

If you can't walk the streets with your leashed dog something has gone very wrong in Australia. If you get attacked don't think for a minute that your neighbors won't like you ring the police, I'm a middle aged woman that got knocked to the ground, what if I'd been elderly or very young. If I hadn't rung the cops those dogs would still be wandering.

great idea. ring your local police station. Glad they go their fence fixed.

I don't wish for new laws, just that the current laws are complied with. Those who breach leash laws can in no way be considered responsible owners. There is no more room for a loose dog on our suburban and city footpaths than there is for a drunk driver on our freeways, it is that fundamental a public safety issue. If people continue to think they are above such rules, we will end up with more and more outright bans, and they will be deserved.

Exactly. There is plenty of legislation, but until councils step up to the plate and regulate and enforce them, we will still be having this conversation in 50 years time.

AND- I will say it again- it's up to the general public to report instances. The council don't know unless we inform them.

In my situation, after my dog was attacked, I asked around the local dog park (which many dog walkers would have to walk past the roaming dog to get to) if anyone else had had any issues with the Dally. I was unsurprised to discover yes, several other dogs had been bitten by it. Had any of the owners reported it? Nope. :(

It's the old "someone else's problem", which then means the council never finds out.

My council was very supportive when I contacted them, but still had to rely on my constant reporting to actually fine the owner & subsequently slap a nuisance order on the dog. Following that, the guy still insisted on sneakily let the dog off, so every time I saw it, I reported it & he got fined. (Much to his disgust- he tried to intimidate me too, but I'm a lot tougher than I look.)

It took about a year, but t's been a while now since I've seen the dog unleashed. :thumbsup:

So we can't blame the councils if we don't report these dogs. And if at first you don't see much action, keep reporting & keep records that tou can email the mayor if you still get no joy. Squeaky wheels & all that.

:thumbsup:

I applaud your persistence and bravery. We need more people to take action like you do.

We have exactly these problems in N Z.Several years ago I was walking my Keeshond in a quiet neighborhood (she was never off lead),all was well until a very large dog raced out from a veranda on an unfenced property,grabbed her under the ribs.I screamed,put myself between them((not very effective as I'm short and light) I think my 2nd yell scared it off as it disappeared back inside.No harm was done partly because she had a very heavy coat ,however it terrified me and ever since I am really aware of other dogs off lead,especially as one of my dogs is a 6kg JS. Small dogs are quite often killed in NZ by large dogs with no consequences for the dog owner :eek:

I only walk my dogs up my street because there are no loose dogs. Everywhere else are loose dogs. Dog savvy friend and I were discussing this the other day ... here is what we came up with.

Chuck stones at the dog (doesn't work for me I am a shocking shot)

Umbrella, open it in the dog's face

Nasty spray (Citronella)

Carry a walking stick (not a stick) - either one with a crook type handle, or a knob- mine has a knob and that gives it heft and swing.

Really loud whistle

I have found a combination of the walking stick and the whistle worked ok. Lots of dogs are not vicious, but when then rush my dogs, my dogs wonder about biting them, so I need to keep the strange dogs away.

Rev Jo - Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod? I think that would be a great thing to carry, and it would certainly slow the dog down. Only problem might be that you would stir it up enough to make it have a go at you.

She walks her dogs,but it is too much for me, once I get out of my area, there are too many loose dogs. I do think it depends on where you live.

We have exactly these problems in N Z.Several years ago I was walking my Keeshond in a quiet neighborhood (she was never off lead),all was well until a very large dog raced out from a veranda on an unfenced property,grabbed her under the ribs.I screamed,put myself between them((not very effective as I'm short and light) I think my 2nd yell scared it off as it disappeared back inside.No harm was done partly because she had a very heavy coat ,however it terrified me and ever since I am really aware of other dogs off lead,especially as one of my dogs is a 6kg JS. Small dogs are quite often killed in NZ by large dogs with no consequences for the dog owner :eek:

That was a very scary moment for you, my advice is that if you are attacked or menaced like this, please ring the local police (not 000 unless you are injured of course) tell them what happened, with the dog attacks that are going on these days they tend to show more interest than they did, especially if the human has been harmed in any way. When I reported my dog attack to the police the whole level of the conversation changed when I said I'd been knocked to the ground.

Knowing where this dog lives is half the battle, you can actually give them an address. Even if the owners just get a warning it's a start in the right direction.

You can also ring your local council, just getting it on record is a start.

If someone else has reported the dog, the owners will get a visit.

Edited by Trudy08

I only walk my dogs up my street because there are no loose dogs. Everywhere else are loose dogs. Dog savvy friend and I were discussing this the other day ... here is what we came up with.

Chuck stones at the dog (doesn't work for me I am a shocking shot)

Umbrella, open it in the dog's face

Nasty spray (Citronella)

Carry a walking stick (not a stick) - either one with a crook type handle, or a knob- mine has a knob and that gives it heft and swing.

Really loud whistle

I have found a combination of the walking stick and the whistle worked ok. Lots of dogs are not vicious, but when then rush my dogs, my dogs wonder about biting them, so I need to keep the strange dogs away.

Rev Jo - Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod? I think that would be a great thing to carry, and it would certainly slow the dog down. Only problem might be that you would stir it up enough to make it have a go at you.

She walks her dogs,but it is too much for me, once I get out of my area, there are too many loose dogs. I do think it depends on where you live.

I carry a citronella spray called Spray Shield, it puts off the medium aggressive, I also have a personal alarm with me that emits a terrible loud noise, not sure if that will scare the dog off but it will get attention from passersby.

Carrying a stick or umbrella is a good idea but you tend to run out of hands and start feeling like you are going into battle, when all you want is a relaxing walk with your dog. : )

However whatever works for each individual.

If I had a cattle prod you can bet your life I'd end up shocking the wrong dog or myself. Using pepper spray (illegal in NSW) has the problem of getting a dose of it yourself.

If someone could come up with something that doesn't harm the dog or cause the walker to look like a pirate bristling with weapons, I'd be very interested. The closest I've found is Spray Shield.

Alternatively it would be nice if all dog owners took responsibility and kept their dogs under control, observed the leash law and had dog secure yards. Seems simple doesn't it.

I'd say it's not legal to use a cattle prod on dogs.

Actually it's probably not legal to carry a cattle prod in a public place unless you have a herd of cows with you :D , also shocking a dog with it could have fatal consequences for the dog, that's what bothers me, using a deterrent that could harm a dog that was just being "Mr Happy to see you" rather than "Mr Angry I'm going to get you and your little dog". It would be sad to make that mistake.

Edited by Trudy08

Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod?

You want to use a cattle prod designed for 400kg or more cattle on a 10 to 30kg dog :dropjaw:

I'm pretty sure it's going to do more than slow the dog down and you're likely to end up with a lawsuit on your hands

You want to use a cattle prod designed for 400kg or more cattle on a 10 to 30kg dog :dropjaw:

I'm pretty sure it's going to do more than slow the dog down and you're likely to end up with a lawsuit on your hands

They aren't really deadly, but if your dog was being killed in front of you wouldn't you do anything to save it? Calf prodders are used on few day old calves at the sales and they are smaller than some dogs BTW. They are too heavy to carry around though and I know some idiot would report me so I'm not going to risk it.

They aren't really deadly, but if your dog was being killed in front of you wouldn't you do anything to save it? Calf prodders are used on few day old calves at the sales and they are smaller than some dogs BTW. They are too heavy to carry around though and I know some idiot would report me so I'm not going to risk it.

I wouldn't risk it either, I had a woman berate me once for carrying a stick, she told me I couldn't hit other people's dogs with a stick that wasn't right. I said "I wouldn't hit an on leash dog, just an off leash dog if it came after me and my child". She didn't think that was right either, even though I had a baby in a pram at the time. She then asked me how many times I'd hit a dog (big mistake) so I said "Until it runs off or stops moving". Obviously that woman had never had children. :mad

The facts are that some folk think dogs are superior to human beings, where I certainly believe that in certain instances, we humans should still be entitled to defend ourselves. :thumbsup:

Edited by Trudy08

Might find out about the cattle prod.

Some of them can have the power turned down and the charge is insufficient to kill anything. Electric fences work the same way, and I have seen dogs run into them - or lift their leg on them with no apparent injury.

I don't think people should maim or kill other people's dogs but I do think sometimes you need something to ward off a dog. Mostly, shouting and appearing menacing is sufficient. Yes, I understand about not having enough hands.

Might find out about the cattle prod.

Some of them can have the power turned down and the charge is insufficient to kill anything. Electric fences work the same way, and I have seen dogs run into them - or lift their leg on them with no apparent injury.

I don't think people should maim or kill other people's dogs but I do think sometimes you need something to ward off a dog. Mostly, shouting and appearing menacing is sufficient. Yes, I understand about not having enough hands.

I'd be interested to know if you find out anything about low dose cattle prods, one of those phaser guns off Star Trek would have been perfect, set to stun :laugh: I suppose we'll have to wait till they invent one. If there was such a thing as a small light weight cattle prod it could work well. :)

The shouting and menacing is good when it works, didn't work for me the one time I needed it too, I don't want to hurt anyone else's dog either but if its them or me, its not going to be me. :mad

I thought of this thread this morning when we were rushed by a medium-sized snarling dog through it's open (yet again) front gates. I yelled at it, a lady came out and dragged the dog forcibly inside, telling me "It's alright."

It's not alright, it's the 4th bl**dy time this dog has rushed us through open front gates. Luckily each time, someone has dragged it off the footpath and away. A verbal altercation ensued with the homes' occupants (adult son threatened me for 'swearing at his mother') Adult son pointed at my non-reacting dog and said "Your f*ck'n dog would kill my dog anyway!" Yes, because you can tell that by looking at a dog. *Sigh*

I feel sorry for the dog. This is largely why I haven't reported it previously. Last time it rushed us the person who dragged him away was apologetic "He's old and deaf." His eyesight is spot-on though. He spots us and an open gate, every chance he gets. And if he's deaf, well, all the more reason to shut the gate and keep him away from the road. You'd think.

I've called the council and they are sending a ranger for me to make a statement to. It's clear that the owners of this dog are never going to learn unless action is taken.

I would be interested in the legalities of that, if I am walking my onlead muzzled greyhounds and an unrestrained dog is attacking mine (I'm not talking in offlead areas, I don't use them) I will take whatever steps necessary to protect them. The attacking dog owner has broken the law first haven't they? I do sometimes walk with a stick and I will use it, if they want to sue me they can have everything I've got which is two fifths of sweet FA.

It's never the dog's fault, and you have to feel sorry for a lot of them ... but it doesn't help if your dog is the bite-ee. I have walloped a couple of dogs with my walking stick - in the ribs which worked like a charm. But that's not many.

Easier not to walk the dogs near loose dogs these days.

I think a cattle prod on a dog would have the same result as the electric fence --- scream and run. Yep, a phaser gun is the answer!! LOL

If everyone had to keep their dogs in their yards there would be no problem.The occasional dog which escaped would proably not be much of a drama.

I thought of this thread this morning when we were rushed by a medium-sized snarling dog through it's open (yet again) front gates. I yelled at it, a lady came out and dragged the dog forcibly inside, telling me "It's alright."

It's not alright, it's the 4th bl**dy time this dog has rushed us through open front gates. Luckily each time, someone has dragged it off the footpath and away. A verbal altercation ensued with the homes' occupants (adult son threatened me for 'swearing at his mother') Adult son pointed at my non-reacting dog and said "Your f*ck'n dog would kill my dog anyway!" Yes, because you can tell that by looking at a dog. *Sigh*

I feel sorry for the dog. This is largely why I haven't reported it previously. Last time it rushed us the person who dragged him away was apologetic "He's old and deaf." His eyesight is spot-on though. He spots us and an open gate, every chance he gets. And if he's deaf, well, all the more reason to shut the gate and keep him away from the road. You'd think.

I've called the council and they are sending a ranger for me to make a statement to. It's clear that the owners of this dog are never going to learn unless action is taken.

You have absolutely done the right thing, everyone should report an incident like this, why should these people be allowed to control the road, this definitely meets the definition of menacing, so be sure to put that word in your report. One day there won't be anyone to drag the dog back inside and he may attack you or some other dog walker, like a child with a little dog for instance. If they shouted he's old and deaf at me I'd shout "Does he still have teeth". if they have gates they should try shutting them to keep the dog in, this kind of thing really gets up my nose, the way they make it sound, like its you thats overreacting and upsetting them. :eek:

I try to walk my little dog everyday, because we both need the exercise, but I have to force myself to do it because I almost feel like I'm risking her life every time I take her out, most of the time its fine but now and then some son of bitch who shouldn't own a dog, has his pet running free in the park. Then my walk turns into a shouting match, even though I am clearly in the right because my little dog is leashed and his horse sized dog isn't. I rang animal control and the nice lady told me that if she had a little dog she wouldn't walk it at all, its far to dangerous to take small dogs outside. WTF is that what I pay my rates for. Anyway she wanted the guys name and address, which of course I don't have. :mad