I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's never the dog's fault, and you have to feel sorry for a lot of them ... but it doesn't help if your dog is the bite-ee. I have walloped a couple of dogs with my walking stick - in the ribs which worked like a charm. But that's not many.

Easier not to walk the dogs near loose dogs these days.

I think a cattle prod on a dog would have the same result as the electric fence --- scream and run. Yep, a phaser gun is the answer!! LOL

If everyone had to keep their dogs in their yards there would be no problem.The occasional dog which escaped would proably not be much of a drama.

Its not the dogs fault its definitely the owner, although its hard to keep that in mind when you get rushed by a snarling dog, it pretty much feels like the dogs fault (and feeling sorry for them does not cross your mind) then and you are absolutely certain that if someone appeared and said "Shall I shoot this missile with teeth thats headed your way" , you would say "Yes" (speaking for myself of course.) :eek:

However that being said it would make my day if someone came up with something that would stop a dog charging without harming it, and I don't mean a whip and a chair, I don't want to hurt any animal I just don't want to be harassed. :cool:

Ok I'm going to take mine and Bonny's life in my hands and take her for a walk, I feel like I'm taking a stroll on the Serengeti. :crossfingers:

I only walk my dogs up my street because there are no loose dogs. Everywhere else are loose dogs. Dog savvy friend and I were discussing this the other day ... here is what we came up with.

Chuck stones at the dog (doesn't work for me I am a shocking shot)

Umbrella, open it in the dog's face

Nasty spray (Citronella)

Carry a walking stick (not a stick) - either one with a crook type handle, or a knob- mine has a knob and that gives it heft and swing.

Really loud whistle

I have found a combination of the walking stick and the whistle worked ok. Lots of dogs are not vicious, but when then rush my dogs, my dogs wonder about biting them, so I need to keep the strange dogs away.

Rev Jo - Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod? I think that would be a great thing to carry, and it would certainly slow the dog down. Only problem might be that you would stir it up enough to make it have a go at you.

She walks her dogs,but it is too much for me, once I get out of my area, there are too many loose dogs. I do think it depends on where you live.

I carry a citronella spray called Spray Shield, it puts off the medium aggressive, I also have a personal alarm with me that emits a terrible loud noise, not sure if that will scare the dog off but it will get attention from passersby.

Carrying a stick or umbrella is a good idea but you tend to run out of hands and start feeling like you are going into battle, when all you want is a relaxing walk with your dog. : )

However whatever works for each individual.

If I had a cattle prod you can bet your life I'd end up shocking the wrong dog or myself. Using pepper spray (illegal in NSW) has the problem of getting a dose of it yourself.

If someone could come up with something that doesn't harm the dog or cause the walker to look like a pirate bristling with weapons, I'd be very interested. The closest I've found is Spray Shield.

Alternatively it would be nice if all dog owners took responsibility and kept their dogs under control, observed the leash law and had dog secure yards. Seems simple doesn't it.

You can buy an ultrasonic dog deterrent off ebay. Good if you are walking alone and a dog charges you. But if you are walking with your dogs it may put them off as well.

I would be interested in the legalities of that, if I am walking my onlead muzzled greyhounds and an unrestrained dog is attacking mine (I'm not talking in offlead areas, I don't use them) I will take whatever steps necessary to protect them. The attacking dog owner has broken the law first haven't they? I do sometimes walk with a stick and I will use it, if they want to sue me they can have everything I've got which is two fifths of sweet FA.

I would hazard a guess that if you're wandering the streets with your dog and a cattle prod it's not a far stretch for the owner of the other dog to paint you a person looking for trouble who attacked their dog "who just wanted to say hi".

I'm not saying it's right but in these cases it's usually your word against theirs.

I've never seen a cattle prod in person despite the fact that my parents breed Angus but surely there are better alternatives that walking the streets with one. A walking stick I understand, even pepper spray, but if you're that convinced you're going to be attacked while walking your dog then take them somewhere else or get a treadmill.

I think if your dog is onlead and it has an aggressive dog hanging off its neck there isn't much doubt that it is their dog that has caused the problem. How do you identify a safe place, because I don't think they exist. Right now I can walk on private property that I know has no other dogs but soon I will be forced to walk in public every day. If you have a way of knowing an area has no off lead dogs I am all ears because I can't think of any way of telling ahead of time.

I'm lucky I don't have a problem where I am (Ringwood). There is plenty of dog walking going on but the dogs are generally on the smaller side, I've seen a couple of off leash and wandering dogs as well but not causing an issue.

Generally I find the closer you are to the city the better it is. I lived in Kew for many years and never saw a stray or off leash dog (besides at the park). If there is a decent amount of traffic and a smaller side walk dog owners are going to be less inclined to let their dog off leash to be potentially run over.

I walk on the main street a few times a week now that we live out of town because I don't want my dogs to degenerate into feral hermits :laugh:

Anyway, only met on lead dogs and only very few of those so far. Once we venture into the residential areas they appear out of nowhere again but none on the main drag for some reason. So far so good.

I only walk my dogs up my street because there are no loose dogs. Everywhere else are loose dogs. Dog savvy friend and I were discussing this the other day ... here is what we came up with.

Chuck stones at the dog (doesn't work for me I am a shocking shot)

Umbrella, open it in the dog's face

Nasty spray (Citronella)

Carry a walking stick (not a stick) - either one with a crook type handle, or a knob- mine has a knob and that gives it heft and swing.

Really loud whistle

I have found a combination of the walking stick and the whistle worked ok. Lots of dogs are not vicious, but when then rush my dogs, my dogs wonder about biting them, so I need to keep the strange dogs away.

Rev Jo - Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod? I think that would be a great thing to carry, and it would certainly slow the dog down. Only problem might be that you would stir it up enough to make it have a go at you.

She walks her dogs,but it is too much for me, once I get out of my area, there are too many loose dogs. I do think it depends on where you live.

I carry a citronella spray called Spray Shield, it puts off the medium aggressive, I also have a personal alarm with me that emits a terrible loud noise, not sure if that will scare the dog off but it will get attention from passersby.

Carrying a stick or umbrella is a good idea but you tend to run out of hands and start feeling like you are going into battle, when all you want is a relaxing walk with your dog. : )

However whatever works for each individual.

If I had a cattle prod you can bet your life I'd end up shocking the wrong dog or myself. Using pepper spray (illegal in NSW) has the problem of getting a dose of it yourself.

If someone could come up with something that doesn't harm the dog or cause the walker to look like a pirate bristling with weapons, I'd be very interested. The closest I've found is Spray Shield.

Alternatively it would be nice if all dog owners took responsibility and kept their dogs under control, observed the leash law and had dog secure yards. Seems simple doesn't it.

You can buy an ultrasonic dog deterrent off ebay. Good if you are walking alone and a dog charges you. But if you are walking with your dogs it may put them off as well.

I've got an ultrasonic device called a Dazer, I'm not sure that it works, it certainly doesn't work on my dog, she hears it but ignores it at the same time.

I would be interested in the legalities of that, if I am walking my onlead muzzled greyhounds and an unrestrained dog is attacking mine (I'm not talking in offlead areas, I don't use them) I will take whatever steps necessary to protect them. The attacking dog owner has broken the law first haven't they? I do sometimes walk with a stick and I will use it, if they want to sue me they can have everything I've got which is two fifths of sweet FA.

I would hazard a guess that if you're wandering the streets with your dog and a cattle prod it's not a far stretch for the owner of the other dog to paint you a person looking for trouble who attacked their dog "who just wanted to say hi".

I'm not saying it's right but in these cases it's usually your word against theirs.

I've never seen a cattle prod in person despite the fact that my parents breed Angus but surely there are better alternatives that walking the streets with one. A walking stick I understand, even pepper spray, but if you're that convinced you're going to be attacked while walking your dog then take them somewhere else or get a treadmill.

A walking stick is ok but a focused dog will dodge it, also if there is more than one dog its not effective (I know it happened to me) and pepper spray is illegal in NSW. There aren't many options for protecting yourself really, I'd like something that's legal and actually works. Everyone is entitled to walk their dogs and expect other dogs to be on leash also, however that is apparently too much to hope for. If an off leash dog comes to say "Hi" and stays for a bite, then it will be repelled by whatever means necessary, the owner of the off leash dog will be ultimately at fault.

I think if your dog is onlead and it has an aggressive dog hanging off its neck there isn't much doubt that it is their dog that has caused the problem. How do you identify a safe place, because I don't think they exist. Right now I can walk on private property that I know has no other dogs but soon I will be forced to walk in public every day. If you have a way of knowing an area has no off lead dogs I am all ears because I can't think of any way of telling ahead of time.

I've started to walk my dog on main roads, there is less chance of off leash dogs there, also I'm better at crossing a busy road than a dog on its own is, if I see a wanderer I cross over the road, they tend not to follow, also there are more people around. I have had one determined dog try to follow us and nearly catch a bus in the worst possible way, the owner appeared from her house to rescue him off the road. Funny how she didn't seem to notice him baling up passersby who were shouting "Go home" at him, the squeal of brakes brought her out though. :mad

Busy roads are great, office parks on weekends are good too, if you're ok with on leash dogs then very busy kids parks will normally shame people into leashing their dogs. My best place is a nearby office park that has lovely water features you'd be surprised at the wildlife they attract when everyone's gone home.

Edited by hankdog

Busy roads are great, office parks on weekends are good too, if you're ok with on leash dogs then very busy kids parks will normally shame people into leashing their dogs. My best place is a nearby office park that has lovely water features you'd be surprised at the wildlife they attract when everyone's gone home.

I discovered the busy road safety zone, also large busy parks , although some diehard off leash folk persist in using the small local park on the weekends, they ignore the parents and on leash dog walkers comments or respond with rudeness. They bring their large dogs and throw tennis balls ballistically so their dogs can run at great speed around the park scaring everyone. Just another case of people being inconsiderate to others and feeling entitled to do it. I had one female say to me that the park ranger had told her she could use this park for her dogs, I said "Really well lets get the police here and see what they have to say". She then left the park with her wolves, shouting obscenities as she went. She was actively teaching her dogs it was ok to rush human beings by throwing the ball into the play area and over people's heads. :mad:eek:

I discovered the busy road safety zone, also large busy parks , although some diehard off leash folk persist in using the small local park on the weekends, they ignore the parents and on leash dog walkers comments or respond with rudeness. They bring their large dogs and throw tennis balls ballistically so their dogs can run at great speed around the park scaring everyone. Just another case of people being inconsiderate to others and feeling entitled to do it. I had one female say to me that the park ranger had told her she could use this park for her dogs, I said "Really well lets get the police here and see what they have to say". She then left the park with her wolves, shouting obscenities as she went. She was actively teaching her dogs it was ok to rush human beings by throwing the ball into the play area and over people's heads. :mad:eek:

Dogs chasing after balls are not rushing people or other dogs usually. They are chasing after the ball. I am always quite relaxed when I see a ball focused dog as they tend not to bother you at all.

I'm not scared to walk my dogs but I often get the sh!ts at how inconsiderate or just plain useless other people can be.

There is a lovely 'lake' near me that has a walking path and kids playground etc and lots of people walk their dogs there. Problem is plenty have them off lead, let them dive ino the lake and terrorise the ducks. Just a few days ago I was walking past the playground and a young crossbreed that was tied up to the playground equipment broke free and attacked a Lab being walked on lead. The Labs owner kicked the other dog and it then came at my dogs but backed off when I stood in front of them. Turned out the dog was with about 4 kids, no adults present and they had no idea how to control this dog. The kids were scared and hopefully this will be a lesson they learn from but who knows?

My dogs are bull breeds and although they couldn't fight to save themselves they are at least of decent enough size that I'd have time to do whatever I needed to do to stop an attack (id kill another dog if i had to) before they could be killed.

'Wolves'? Is that intended to be some kind of insult because they were big?

If she shouldn't have been there she was clearly wrong and inconsiderate. But ball chasing dogs are the least of my concerns usually, they are focussed on the ball and their handler. They might object if another offlead dog went for their ball but otherwise they tend to be uninterested in on lead dogs in my experience.

Having them run fast through people was wrong and probably scary, but it doesn't teach them to rush people. If anything it teaches them to focus on the ball and ignore people.

Dogs chasing after balls are not rushing people or other dogs usually. They are chasing after the ball. I am always quite relaxed when I see a ball focused dog as they tend not to bother you at all.

Well in my experience a dog chasing a ball is not only focussed but in hunting mode, however quite often they are more interested in returning the ball to the owner who will throw it again, so I take your point.

However when there is more than one dog after the same ball they can get quite competitive, as in this case, these dogs in question were actually fighting over the ball, a couple of times in the kids play area, the parents then howled in protest. So the owner threw in another direction, where I was with walking with my small on leash, non reactive dog, when the larger of the two dogs ( a shepherd mix) spotted my dog he decided she was much more attractive than the tennis ball and charged us at speed, totally focused by my dog, my husband who I fortunately had with me, swung his stick at the dog which made it swerve away but then it came back, followed by its mate. The owner of the dogs then berated us for trying to hit her dog with a stick. Fortunately her husband who had a lot more sense than her, wrangled the dogs and said "Sorry" in a very low voice, obviously he knew they were breaking the law but his wife wears the pants. We were in a public park not a dog park, despite what some dog owners may think public parks are leash only and children's play areas are no dogs allowed even on a leash.

We were in a public park not a dog park, despite what some dog owners may think public parks are leash only and children's play areas are no dogs allowed even on a leash.

Actually the rules on this vary from council to council. My council has a on leash unless at an off leash park rule. The council next door has the opposite rule - off leash is ok unless it is an on lead area.

I'm not scared to walk my dogs but I often get the sh!ts at how inconsiderate or just plain useless other people can be.

There is a lovely 'lake' near me that has a walking path and kids playground etc and lots of people walk their dogs there. Problem is plenty have them off lead, let them dive ino the lake and terrorise the ducks. Just a few days ago I was walking past the playground and a young crossbreed that was tied up to the playground equipment broke free and attacked a Lab being walked on lead. The Labs owner kicked the other dog and it then came at my dogs but backed off when I stood in front of them. Turned out the dog was with about 4 kids, no adults present and they had no idea how to control this dog. The kids were scared and hopefully this will be a lesson they learn from but who knows?

My dogs are bull breeds and although they couldn't fight to save themselves they are at least of decent enough size that I'd have time to do whatever I needed to do to stop an attack (id kill another dog if i had to) before they could be killed.

Isn't it a shame that ignorant people can spoil a day for everyone else, it only takes one owner with an out of control dog to ruin everything, no matter how beautiful the surroundings. :mad

Its also a shame that responsible dog owners have to start a walk knowing they may be required to kill or maim another dog, :( in order to get home in one piece. Not all dog owners are prepared to fight to the death for their pet, lots of people just freeze or run, the police and animal control people informed me. I am of the fight to the death variety, you actually don't know that until you are put in the position, however normally it doesn't come as a surprise when you find out which one you are. I fortunately only had to beat the dogs that attacked us with an open umbrella, passersby then got control of the dogs.