I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

I discovered the busy road safety zone, also large busy parks , although some diehard off leash folk persist in using the small local park on the weekends, they ignore the parents and on leash dog walkers comments or respond with rudeness. They bring their large dogs and throw tennis balls ballistically so their dogs can run at great speed around the park scaring everyone. Just another case of people being inconsiderate to others and feeling entitled to do it. I had one female say to me that the park ranger had told her she could use this park for her dogs, I said "Really well lets get the police here and see what they have to say". She then left the park with her wolves, shouting obscenities as she went. She was actively teaching her dogs it was ok to rush human beings by throwing the ball into the play area and over people's heads. :mad:eek:

'Wolves'? Is that intended to be some kind of insult because they were big?

If she shouldn't have been there she was clearly wrong and inconsiderate. But ball chasing dogs are the least of my concerns usually, they are focussed on the ball and their handler. They might object if another offlead dog went for their ball but otherwise they tend to be uninterested in on lead dogs in my experience.

Having them run fast through people was wrong and probably scary, but it doesn't teach them to rush people. If anything it teaches them to focus on the ball and ignore people.

The term "Wolves" is intended to describe their behaviour and how they made the rest of us feel about them, they showed absolutely know respect for human beings, knocking kids over like skittles, hence the howling parents, I shudder to think what would have happened if a child had picked up that tennis ball, which a toddler is quite capable of doing. It was a very dangerous situation that could have ended very badly if I hadn't mentioned calling the police, (her whole air of entitlement evaporated immediately) which made the dog owner leave the park, that owners massive ego and over confidence was going to cause an incident there would be no coming back from.

When you have two dogs fighting over a ball and being encouraged to do so by the owner, when there are other people around it can only be called grossly irresponsible. Her shouts of "They are only chasing the ball don't be such a baby' isn't going to endear her to someone who was picking her child up off the floor.

I am personally sick to death of over confident dog owners, who are so proud of what they think are their perfectly controlled dogs, until it suddenly goes pear shaped and they cry "They've never done anything like that before" and even try to say it was the victims fault. :mad :mad

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were in a public park not a dog park, despite what some dog owners may think public parks are leash only and children's play areas are no dogs allowed even on a leash.

Actually the rules on this vary from council to council. My council has a on leash unless at an off leash park rule. The council next door has the opposite rule - off leash is ok unless it is an on lead area.

All public parks in the area I live in are strictly on leash only, there are many council signs that make it very clear what will happen if you get caught with your dog off leash, the children's play areas have a picture of a dog on a leash with a big diagonal line through it, with NO DOGS ALLOWED its fairly clear what that means. I know this because i actually look for the signs when I take my on leash dog for a walk in a public park. not wishing to come face to face with an off leash dog with attitude, unfortunately there are many dog owners who feel their dogs are so exceptionally well behaved the signs don't apply to them. There are dog parks in the area, where you can take your dog and have a blast off leash and anyone who doesn't like it can leave but apparently thats not as exciting as letting your dog off leash in a public park to intimidate all the rule following fools.

Some people are actually very proud of their offleash dogs.

I have had a number of people tell me that they always walk their dog offleash, even near busy roads, since their dogs are perfectly trained. When I tell them I never do so, my dogs are always on lead (except in offlead areas that aren't near busy roads), they smirk and tell me I need to train my dogs to walk off lead!!!!

I have had a number of people tell me that they always walk their dog offleash, even near busy roads, since their dogs are perfectly trained. When I tell them I never do so, my dogs are always on lead (except in offlead areas that aren't near busy roads), they smirk and tell me I need to train my dogs to walk off lead!!!!

It seems it is a bit of an idiotic status symbol like not tethering your dog in the back of a ute. Unfortunately it is always the dog that pays when things go wrong.

If a dog walks perfectly off lead beside you then what is the harm in putting a lead on it. I suspect a lot of off leash dogs don't walk quite so nicely when they on lead and some people would rather (think they) look cool over than bothering with loose leash training.

Loose dogs even if they are friendly pose a risk to motorists. I don't think some seem to get the fact that people get killed or suffer permanent, debilitating injuries from collisions caused by wandering dogs.

Especially if you live in a suburban/highly populated area and unless you are in a designated off leash area just put your dog on a freaking leash. It is not that hard. And no you don't look cool walking beside a highway with your off leash dog you look like an idiot.

Edited to add that I haven't had many dogs rush me or my dogs over the years but I have had far too many experiences of close calls on the road and witnessed dogs been hit and killed. I have been badly bitten trying to save a dog from being hit and have picked far too many dead dogs off the road.

Edited by corrie

Busy roads are great, office parks on weekends are good too, if you're ok with on leash dogs then very busy kids parks will normally shame people into leashing their dogs. My best place is a nearby office park that has lovely water features you'd be surprised at the wildlife they attract when everyone's gone home.

I discovered the busy road safety zone, also large busy parks , although some diehard off leash folk persist in using the small local park on the weekends, they ignore the parents and on leash dog walkers comments or respond with rudeness. They bring their large dogs and throw tennis balls ballistically so their dogs can run at great speed around the park scaring everyone. Just another case of people being inconsiderate to others and feeling entitled to do it. I had one female say to me that the park ranger had told her she could use this park for her dogs, I said "Really well lets get the police here and see what they have to say". She then left the park with her wolves, shouting obscenities as she went. She was actively teaching her dogs it was ok to rush human beings by throwing the ball into the play area and over people's heads. :mad:eek:

Dogs chasing after balls are not rushing people or other dogs usually. They are chasing after the ball. I am always quite relaxed when I see a ball focused dog as they tend not to bother you at all.

I have to agree, I don't see the link between playing a game of fetch and teaching a dog it's ok to rush people. I love watching really sporty dogs play fetch down the park. The focus can be amazing, but hunting mode is a whole other thing in my mind, and the sportiness of it all is very impressive. Beats my mud wallow-er who falls over his own feet still.

Edited by Steph M

And I have no problem with that personally if the dog is under effective control which means not approaching other dogs or people.

I love letting my dogs have off leash time, it is great exercise for them, I personally wouldn't enjoy never being able to let my dog off leash.

However I intentionally look for places to run them off leash that aren't frequented by other dogs because not enough people do have effective control of their dogs.

where do you get spray shield from?

We went for a small local walk yesterday and a wild looking dog, snarling and aggressive rushed at the fence at us.

this dog looked posessed and I had no other worry than it looked like it wanted to tear us apart! snarling, barking, charging and bouncing of the fence and saliva drooling from its teeth on show..

Was terrifying and its behind a chicken wire and wire fence with wood, I DREAD to think about it getting free, so would like some kind of protection!

And I have no problem with that personally if the dog is under effective control which means not approaching other dogs or people.

I love letting my dogs have off leash time, it is great exercise for them, I personally wouldn't enjoy never being able to let my dog off leash.

However I intentionally look for places to run them off leash that aren't frequented by other dogs because not enough people do have effective control of their dogs.

I let my dogs offleash as well, but only in designated areas, and that too if they are not next to a busy road.

But I find it annoying when people let their dogs offlead in lead only areas and feel proud of doing so. When I go to lead only areas, I do so because I don't want strange dogs running up.

Is there some law which prevents the use of the cattle prod?

You want to use a cattle prod designed for 400kg or more cattle on a 10 to 30kg dog :dropjaw:

I'm pretty sure it's going to do more than slow the dog down and you're likely to end up with a lawsuit on your hands

I would be interested in the legalities of that, if I am walking my onlead muzzled greyhounds and an unrestrained dog is attacking mine (I'm not talking in offlead areas, I don't use them) I will take whatever steps necessary to protect them. The attacking dog owner has broken the law first haven't they? I do sometimes walk with a stick and I will use it, if they want to sue me they can have everything I've got which is two fifths of sweet FA.

Spot on SM. I agree.

During our walk today I saw a few things that made me think of this thread.

First, walking my Aussie Shepherd along a busy road (I live inner city so I'm talking trams and cars busy) a man with his little fluffy off leash dog gamboling along. His dog saw mine and started getting excited, I was worried it would dash across the busy road to us but luckily it didn't just bounced around as its owner called it away. I then watched in horror as it almost got run over by a car pulling out of a driveway. Owner looked concerned but obviously not enough to pop it back on a leash.

Kept walking, saw a lady in the distance who was looking at us. As we got closer she slowed down, as we got even closer she stopped completely, so I put my dog on the other side of me and kept her leash short. As we got up to her her face was terrified and she said to me in a very shaky voice, "I'm scared of dogs." I couldn't help but think what would have happened if she had come across that off leash dog earlier... she would've been scared to pieces, I felt terrible for her that she had to walk the streets in such fear.

Kept walking, got to our usual on-leash oval with the huge Dogs must be on leash signs at every entrance... of course there is someone in there with his two dogs off leash running around, Slightly annoyed as I wanted to use the oval, but never mind, we'll just do our walk along the outside perimeter, not a big deal. As I was leaving the area, I then saw a jogger jog up to the entrance of the oval, clearly wanting to use it. When he saw the two dogs running around he stopped. Our eyes met and he shook his head and said 'Those dogs should be on a leash'. and turned around and jogged off.

People should be able to use public places without having to contend with law-breaking dog owners... If they just let their dogs off leash in the designated areas there would have been no problem. There's not a shortage of off leash areas too, the one in my area is large and just next door to the oval. But also maybe the reason they break the law and use the on leash areas is because the off leash area is so full of out of control dogs? Who knows. It's a sad situation.

It seems it is a bit of an idiotic status symbol like not tethering your dog in the back of a ute. Unfortunately it is always the dog that pays when things go wrong.

If a dog walks perfectly off lead beside you then what is the harm in putting a lead on it. I suspect a lot of off leash dogs don't walk quite so nicely when they on lead and some people would rather (think they) look cool over than bothering with loose leash training.

Loose dogs even if they are friendly pose a risk to motorists. I don't think some seem to get the fact that people get killed or suffer permanent, debilitating injuries from collisions caused by wandering dogs.

Especially if you live in a suburban/highly populated area and unless you are in a designated off leash area just put your dog on a freaking leash. It is not that hard. And no you don't look cool walking beside a highway with your off leash dog you look like an idiot.

Edited to add that I haven't had many dogs rush me or my dogs over the years but I have had far too many experiences of close calls on the road and witnessed dogs been hit and killed. I have been badly bitten trying to save a dog from being hit and have picked far too many dead dogs off the road.

Its the idea that they think their dogs are so perfectly trained, that they are at one with their animals, (is that even possible), that over confidence is scary, pride before a fall and all that. :eek:

My dog walks next to me on a short loose leash too, in fact every now and then I look down to make sure she is still there its that loose, but there is no play in it that would enable her to take off anywhere at all. I used to ride horses and I know even the most docile meek horse is capable of having a moment, you can't give them the freedom to take you by surprise. All animals are instinct driven they don't rationalise they just follow what is natural to them and they all have their triggers, something that sets them off. If an off leash dogs causes an accident or attacks someone, the owner is the one who will be at fault, they risk being heavily fined and losing their dogs, if you love your dog why would you take that chance, is it just so they can look cool striding along with their off leash dog, someone tell me thats not the only reason they do it. :(

where do you get spray shield from?

We went for a small local walk yesterday and a wild looking dog, snarling and aggressive rushed at the fence at us.

this dog looked posessed and I had no other worry than it looked like it wanted to tear us apart! snarling, barking, charging and bouncing of the fence and saliva drooling from its teeth on show..

Was terrifying and its behind a chicken wire and wire fence with wood, I DREAD to think about it getting free, so would like some kind of protection!

I got the Spray Shield online from Animalcare Australia, its citronella spray and harmless to dogs, they don't like the smell and it comes out of the can with a bit of pressure, you also don't have to be right next to the dog, it works on low to medium aggressive dogs, I've had a dog burst out of its yard and rush us, I used the spray and it stopped the dog, not sure it would stop a truly high level aggressive dog but its better than nothing and its the only legal spray deterrent in NSW.

I hope that wild looking dog stays behind the fence. Good luck :)

Someone tell me thats not the only reason they do it. :(

Ok. That's not the reason I do it.

During our walk today I saw a few things that made me think of this thread.

First, walking my Aussie Shepherd along a busy road (I live inner city so I'm talking trams and cars busy) a man with his little fluffy off leash dog gamboling along. His dog saw mine and started getting excited, I was worried it would dash across the busy road to us but luckily it didn't just bounced around as its owner called it away. I then watched in horror as it almost got run over by a car pulling out of a driveway. Owner looked concerned but obviously not enough to pop it back on a leash.

Kept walking, saw a lady in the distance who was looking at us. As we got closer she slowed down, as we got even closer she stopped completely, so I put my dog on the other side of me and kept her leash short. As we got up to her her face was terrified and she said to me in a very shaky voice, "I'm scared of dogs." I couldn't help but think what would have happened if she had come across that off leash dog earlier... she would've been scared to pieces, I felt terrible for her that she had to walk the streets in such fear.

Kept walking, got to our usual on-leash oval with the huge Dogs must be on leash signs at every entrance... of course there is someone in there with his two dogs off leash running around, Slightly annoyed as I wanted to use the oval, but never mind, we'll just do our walk along the outside perimeter, not a big deal. As I was leaving the area, I then saw a jogger jog up to the entrance of the oval, clearly wanting to use it. When he saw the two dogs running around he stopped. Our eyes met and he shook his head and said 'Those dogs should be on a leash'. and turned around and jogged off.

People should be able to use public places without having to contend with law-breaking dog owners... If they just let their dogs off leash in the designated areas there would have been no problem. There's not a shortage of off leash areas too, the one in my area is large and just next door to the oval. But also maybe the reason they break the law and use the on leash areas is because the off leash area is so full of out of control dogs? Who knows. It's a sad situation.

I love to see my dog running free, there is nothing quite like it, you get the same type of feeling galloping a horse, a sense of freedom but you wouldn't gallop your horse down the main street or across a park full of people and kids, it has to be done in the right place, where it is safe for everyone. I don't understand the lack of consideration for others shown by some dog owners, I can only assume its something they feel the need to do, to flout authority perhaps. I have noticed that a lot of off leash people seem to be very angry, perhaps its there way of saying F**k you to the world. Is owning a large powerful dog like owning a sports car, kind of a status symbol. Also a dog is a predator, they are capable of killing if they decide they want too, why would anyone take a risk with an animal by having it off leash in a public place knowing that it can kill very easily. To me thats not rational behaviour.

Well what is the reason then, you must have one, I'm interested to know what it is. Is it the feeling of freedom?

If the off leash dog IS under effective control and simply enjoying a meander with it's owner and not creating havoc, I don't see the problem with the fact that it is off leash.

I've met quite a few nicely behaved off leash dogs locally - not fazed by some of the leashed dogs that are not under much control at all, and purely focused on their owners and where they are going. Should i be reminding those people with their nicely behaved dogs of the fact that they are actually breaking the law by not having their dogs on leash - or shuld I just sit and admire the bond they have and the lovely walk they are having?

Generally, the off lead dogs I encounter around here are of the staffy cross or cattle cross variety - and even a few mastiff cross types... and none has ever worried me or my dogs at all... go figure?

T.

Well what is the reason then, you must have one, I'm interested to know what it is. Is it the feeling of freedom?

No, it's the relationship you build with your dog. Toby walks beside me not because I have him tied to me. He walks there because I ask him to and because he wants to. Like everything in life it's required a risk assessment. I am capable, responsible and rational enough to make that assessment and I accept the consequences of the decisions I make.

What you need to come to terms with is that just because there is no lead doesn't mean there isn't control. A dog that gets out of its yard roaming the neighbourhood is not the same as a dog going for a stroll with its owner.

Generally, the off lead dogs I encounter around here are of the staffy cross or cattle cross variety - and even a few mastiff cross types... and none has ever worried me or my dogs at all... go figure?

T.

My god!!! I highly recommend you purchase a cattle prod to zap the shit out of these wolves if the even so much as look at you.

If the off leash dog IS under effective control and simply enjoying a meander with it's owner and not creating havoc, I don't see the problem with the fact that it is off leash.

I've met quite a few nicely behaved off leash dogs locally - not fazed by some of the leashed dogs that are not under much control at all, and purely focused on their owners and where they are going. Should i be reminding those people with their nicely behaved dogs of the fact that they are actually breaking the law by not having their dogs on leash - or shuld I just sit and admire the bond they have and the lovely walk they are having?

T.

I've met quite a few well behaved off leash dogs also, some off leash with their owners and some on their own, my dog doesn't react to them at all, but I often wonder if she did react, what their response would be.

Watching an off leash dog behaving itself impeccably is a wonderful thing, but should I have to walk passed one of these dogs with my heart in my mouth, praying it doesn't take a dislike to us. Is that fair on the dog owners who obey the law and have their dogs on a leash, should we feel like we are at the mercy of a total stranger with their large dog. Most of us are living in quiet suburban areas, is it fair that we should feel like we are walking through a Safari park, when all we are doing is trying to have a peaceful walk with our dog.

I am guilty also of not reminding the off leash dog owners that they should have their dogs on a leash, the reason I don't is that I'm mostly paralysed with fright just putting one foot in front of the other, hoping my dog doesn't pick up on my fear or worse still the mastiff cross I just walked passed with no leash on. I know from experience, as does my little dog, how quickly it can all go pear shaped with an off leash dog( or dogs in our case), I've heard the "They've never done anything like this before" excuse and the "But they are really friendly dogs". If my little dog had barked or growled or lunged, I have no doubt at all the owners of the dogs would have said that there lovely friendly dogs they have walked off leash for years, were provoked by my nasty little dog, however they could not say that, so perhaps it was the colour of her collar they didn't like.

I know my constant harping on this subject must drive people nuts, but if what I say on this forum makes a dog owner put that extra bolt on his or her gate to stop their dog/s escaping or makes just one dog owner use a leash when they wouldn't normally and that one out of character action saves some persons life or the life of their dog, I'll feel like that horrible experience i had actually had a silver lining after all.