I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

Lucky most big dog owners tend to understand when you explain she's a bit nervy, but it's hard not to panic for her, which makes it worse!

I'm sorry Steph, I don't mean to keep singling you out, it's just that you mention things that I want to put my 2c worth in about and it's a general response, not directly aimed at you :)

Big dogs get nervy, too, which doesn't equate aggressive. It's a shame really when people can sympathize with a small dog reacting a bit nervous about dogs approaching them, but people automatically assume aggressive when it's the big dog feeling uneasy. No, I do not have an aggressive dog, she has the loveliest nature with people and known dogs, but feels quite uneasy with strange dogs approaching her - which is why I prefer offlead dogs not approaching her in such a manner.

I am quite confused why people don't understand big dogs have the same emotions, but don't have the same understanding they do for them like they do the little dogs? I have big dogs and little dogs, they all get along well together and with known dogs and I am far more at ease about friendly strange dog interactions with them, I just tense up (rationally or irrationally, I still do) when it comes to this particular dog as it upsets her. Until you've owned one, you probably can't fully understand. I didn't until her. She's really made me see things differently.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just saying. For social peace, it doesn't matter whether a dog is big or small. What matters, according to the research.. is that a dog be raised being part of its human 'family' who care for, groom, walk and socialize it. Makes it less likely to be over the top aggressive to other dogs or to strange humans.

And that's what matters when 2 dogs interface somewhere, according to the regulations. If in public, on leashes. Only off-leash, in designated areas.

Lucky most big dog owners tend to understand when you explain she's a bit nervy, but it's hard not to panic for her, which makes it worse!

I'm sorry Steph, I don't mean to keep singling you out, it's just that you mention things that I want to put my 2c worth in about and it's a general response, not directly aimed at you :)

Big dogs get nervy, too, which doesn't equate aggressive. It's a shame really when people can sympathize with a small dog reacting a bit nervous about dogs approaching them, but people automatically assume aggressive when it's the big dog feeling uneasy. No, I do not have an aggressive dog, she has the loveliest nature with people and known dogs, but feels quite uneasy with strange dogs approaching her - which is why I prefer offlead dogs not approaching her in such a manner.

I am quite confused why people don't understand big dogs have the same emotions, but don't have the same understanding they do for them like they do the little dogs? I have big dogs and little dogs, they all get along well together and with known dogs and I am far more at ease about friendly strange dog interactions with them, I just tense up (rationally or irrationally, I still do) when it comes to this particular dog as it upsets her. Until you've owned one, you probably can't fully understand. I didn't until her. She's really made me see things differently.

Not at all! I know what you mean, she doesn't much go to parks unless it's 'off peak' so to speak, and I know what you mean when people see the worst in bigger dogs too. I've even had people ask if my dog is nasty when he and their dog are both showing happy play mode signs. Quite something to see, given he's the loving-est puppy out.

She was devestated. Holly was only 5 months old at the time and wasn't even interested in playing with or approaching other dogs, just wanted to chase the ball and was running it back to mum when this other dog appeared with it's owner and the dog lunged out and grabbed her. Owner of course didn't have time to click the lock on the extending lead(and really it wasn't likely to have stopped 45kg + of mastiff on a mission). When they managed to drag the dog off her the guy just disappeared, didn't even ask if she was OK. Thousands of dollars later at the emergency vet she passed away.

Neighbours actually offered to drop some baited meat over the fence that was how strongly they felt about it, they were scared to go in their own yard. By all accounts the owner was a rude, arrogant scumbag so no surprise he raised a dog with issues.

That was 16 years ago now so i don't know whether the results would be different now but it cetainly made my mum very nervous taking her next dog to the park.

I can empathize with the big dog grabbing the puppy it's a horrible memory to have. I'm sure your Mum is still afraid to take a dog to the park, I'm the same.

I get so angry when I hear stories like this especially when the bastards get away with it. ????

I sometimes wonder if I'm over sensitive about the dog attack we had, not long ago in a public park an off leash cattle dog charged us, I picked my dog up and screamed at the owner, she shouted back her dog was friendly and there was no need to get nasty. I told her my dog had nearly been killed by a charging dog and she said "You should get therapy then". I shouted back that her dog should be on a leash.

Trudy, I completely understand, I have come home from walks thinking maybe I do need therapyeek1.gif Why is it that when you ask people to put their dogs on leash( In an area they are meant to be leashed any way) does it end up a very stressful situation, never have I had someone put their dog on a leash without being rude or abusive. I always initially ask politely but have been known to end up yelling like a banshee when situations require it, suprisingly the times that I have ended up yelling at someone my dogs have behaved impeccably!

I sometimes wonder if I'm over sensitive about the dog attack we had, not long ago in a public park an off leash cattle dog charged us, I picked my dog up and screamed at the owner, she shouted back her dog was friendly and there was no need to get nasty. I told her my dog had nearly been killed by a charging dog and she said "You should get therapy then". I shouted back that her dog should be on a leash.

Trudy, I completely understand, I have come home from walks thinking maybe I do need therapyeek1.gif Why is it that when you ask people to put their dogs on leash( In an area they are meant to be leashed any way) does it end up a very stressful situation, never have I had someone put their dog on a leash without being rude or abusive. I always initially ask politely but have been known to end up yelling like a banshee when situations require it, suprisingly the times that I have ended up yelling at someone my dogs have behaved impeccably!

I know what you mean Robbi, It's unfortunate we have to get all worked up when we are supposed to be having a relaxing walk with our dogs, my dog Bonny just stands next to me while I'm raving, she doesn't bark she just tries to avoid the advancing dog . Without exception the person with the off leash dog is defensive and abusive.

I start off politely if a bit jerky as I try to side step the missile dog but I end up getting pissed off. I hate the way the wrong doer makes me look like the nutcase.

If I see someone with a loose dog in the public park that leaves us alone, I say nothing, good on them for having a stable dog.

If I am in an off lead area, as opposed to an off lead fully fenced park, then I do expect to be able to walk my on lead dog there without being approached by off lead dogs. Where I live there is no off lead park but only a couple of off lead area's. These area's are multi purpose walking/bike tracks. One runs past a school, both run alongside a river/creek. Lovely walking, jogging, biking tracks. I've given up walking my dogs there because of off lead dogs being allowed to menace mine. It's a joint area so people who allow their dogs to run around off lead should not be allowing them to run up to other dogs without asking if it's alright first. How hard is it to call your dog back and have it under control and then ask the approaching person if the dogs can greet? It's called respect people. Thank Dog I can take my dogs to the local slipping tack for a run a couple of times a week.

If I am in an off lead area, as opposed to an off lead fully fenced park, then I do expect to be able to walk my on lead dog there without being approached by off lead dogs. Where I live there is no off lead park but only a couple of off lead area's. These area's are multi purpose walking/bike tracks. One runs past a school, both run alongside a river/creek. Lovely walking, jogging, biking tracks. I've given up walking my dogs there because of off lead dogs being allowed to menace mine. It's a joint area so people who allow their dogs to run around off lead should not be allowing them to run up to other dogs without asking if it's alright first. How hard is it to call your dog back and have it under control and then ask the approaching person if the dogs can greet? It's called respect people. Thank Dog I can take my dogs to the local slipping tack for a run a couple of times a week.

Exactly my situation too, Rebanne :) I'm lucky I have the DogsWest grounds local to me, where I can take them for an offlead romp with little chance of meeting others, and when there are others, they usually are just as respectful about keeping control of their dogs, or if we know each other (which is a good chance), we may agree to let ours run together. Took mine puddle jumping there on Friday and we had the whole oval to ourselves for a good 40 mins thumbsup1.gif

Went for my first walk tonight since posting this and took a big stick with me. Got rushed by two dogs. :( Both were friendly but my dogs went crazy at them so now my dogs look like the bad ones. F*cking over it! The first one ran across a road yo get to us while the useless owner yelled at it and chased it. The second was playing at the park and bolted towards us and jumped on my dogs, while its owner yelled at it to come back. :(

Edited by *kirty*

Went for my first walk tonight since posting this and took a big stick with me. Got rushed by two dogs. :( Both were friendly but my dogs went crazy at them so now my dogs look like the bad ones. F*cking over it! The first one ran across a road yo get to us while the useless owner yelled at it and chased it. The second was playing at the park and bolted towards us and jumped on my dogs, while its owner yelled at it to come back. :(

Hi Kirty, I've tried the big stick too, the charging dog just avoids it. I'm using a dog deterrent spray called Spray Shield, it's a citronella spray, it's harmless but has shock value to an approaching dog, most of the time the owner of the dog isn't aware you've done anything, I spray it in front of the dog and the smell of it and the splat noise it makes surprises them, and they go back the way they came a bit faster. Not sure if it would work on the truly aggressive but it works on the excitable chargers. Some of the dogs just stop and stare, I just stand still, my dog is bomb proof and generally copies what I do, eventually the dog moves away. Someone on another thread suggested white vinegar in a small spray bottle.

We were attacked once, it's taken me nearly 12 months to start walking my dog again, it's the Spray Shield that's given me the courage. Hope you find something that works for you too. Good luck. ????

Be careful about spraying any animal with a caustic solution like vinegar... you could be liable for vet fees if you get it into a dog's eyes - and possibly slapped with a cruelty charge to boot...

Not sure about the citronella - may be best to read any safety notes on the bottle before spraying it at anyone else's dogs.

T.

Be careful about spraying any animal with a caustic solution like vinegar... you could be liable for vet fees if you get it into a dog's eyes - and possibly slapped with a cruelty charge to boot...

Not sure about the citronella - may be best to read any safety notes on the bottle before spraying it at anyone else's dogs.

T.

I bought the Spray Shield from Animalcare Australia, I didn't make it myself. It's the only spray dog deterrent that's legal in NSW, its totally harmless, I've tried it on my own dog with no after affects. It only has shock value on a dog as they don't care for the smell or the spraying sound, it says on the can it won't stop a high level aggressive dog but as it's the only defense that's allowed in NSW I'm using it because Gods knows we aren't allowed to defend ourselves against other people's aggressive dogs with anything else.

The white vinegar was a suggestion from an animal trainer on another thread, it's stings apparently but does not cause any damage.

She needs the therapy for empathy deficiency.

Something I said must have put her off as I haven't seen her since. They were some parents with there little children in the play area who echoed my "Your dog should be on a lead" comment, she may have felt outnumbered. How sad too bad. ????

I can see why the neighbours offered, KelpieCuddles. Not condoning it but when I first read that I did think that might well be how it ends for the dog eventually, as awful as it is.

I know where you're coming from too, Trudy. Mum has a shih-tzu too, the happiest little chubber out but does not like big dogs, lost her eye to a misc x breed next door who took palings off the fence one night and went for her. I can't say I blame her, she's come miles but still doesn't love being loomed over by a big dog. Lucky most big dog owners tend to understand when you explain she's a bit nervy, but it's hard not to panic for her, which makes it worse!

Robbi I love when you're in the right and your dogs are being angels, there's nothing more satisfying!

Bonny is a sweet girl and very non reactive on leash but she's a hell of a watch dog too and puts on a good show if a stranger comes onto our property, she wouldn't bite but she alerts me to there presence.

She's great with other dogs, she'll share food and toys, shows no aggression that way, that's what upset me when she was attacked, she's was the least offensive dog they could find the cowards. Unfortunately for them Bonny's human mother will stop at nothing to protect her young. ????

Just saying. For social peace, it doesn't matter whether a dog is big or small. What matters, according to the research.. is that a dog be raised being part of its human 'family' who care for, groom, walk and socialize it. Makes it less likely to be over the top aggressive to other dogs or to strange humans.

And that's what matters when 2 dogs interface somewhere, according to the regulations. If in public, on leashes. Only off-leash, in designated areas.

I think you are right dogs that are brought up as one of their human family are more likely to be stable, it's the poor dogs who are left in the yard most of the time with no interaction at all with anyone human or animal, it's not surprising they become aggressive and dangerous if they escape their prisons. Other than being guard dogs I'm not sure why the owners have them at all. As for me I'm one of those pathetic middle aged women whose little dog sleeps on her bed, she's got her own spot on the settee too. Having Bonny on the bed was my husbands idea, he's as besotted as I am. ????

Edited by Trudy08

T.

I bought the Spray Shield from Animalcare Australia, I didn't make it myself. It's the only spray dog deterrent that's legal in NSW, its totally harmless, I've tried it on my own dog with no after affects. It only has shock value on a dog as they don't care for the smell or the spraying sound, it says on the can it won't stop a high level aggressive dog but as it's the only defense that's allowed in NSW I'm using it because Gods knows we aren't allowed to defend ourselves against other people's aggressive dogs with anything else.

The white vinegar was a suggestion from an animal trainer on another thread, it's stings apparently but does not cause any damage.

It does if you don't have the dilution right... I've seen the effects of it being sprayed at a dog's face - by a "trainer" no less... the dog required some intensive vet treatment for her eyes.

T.

Any dog that comes at you with the intention to tear your dog apart is fair game. If it takes that to save your own dog then so be it. We are talking about having your dog killed in front of you, it's serious. I'd take a cattle prod with me if it were legal, my dog's welfare comes first over some nuf nuf's out of control dog.

T.

It does if you don't have the dilution right... I've seen the effects of it being sprayed at a dog's face - by a "trainer" no less... the dog required some intensive vet treatment for her eyes.

T.

During my research I came across many home made dog deterrent recipes and discovered what was legal, only Spray Shield is acceptable, as much as I'd like to carry something a little more persausive like homemade pepper spray, my intention is to deflect an approaching dog not send it howling into traffic or running into trees. Most of the problem off leash dogs I meet are excitable and not socialized to small dogs, they aren't human aggressive, but they'd like to treat my dog like a rabbit. If in someway me spraying citronella at them (i give a warning spray on the ground first) makes them avoid humans with little dogs that will suit me fine, as it keeps them away from me and other people too. I don't see why I should be the trainer for other people's dogs but the job seems to have been forced upon me if I want to continue to walk my dog.

The sad fact is that if we got attacked by large hunting dogs, the only thing that would stop them would be a bullet and I haven't got any of those, I do have a large husband and four sons that will track the dogs and the owners to the ends of the earth however.

Until someone in the government grows some balls and

actually makes an example of these thugs and their dogs it's going to be a jungle out there for the rest of us.