Dog Shot At Wendouree Home

Zereuloh

All in a day's work for the Police Officer then.

"Oh hello dear, what did you do at work today?"

"Not much, just shot a family pet whom the whole neighbourhood new and loved. It was owned by an old, disabled woman. She can always get another one"

Does it worry you at all that you're conducting a systematic public character assassination of a person you've never met and whose side of the story you've never heard?

I guess not.

Just try to get your head around this would you?

No. Try not. Do or do not.

The dog did not have a gun.

Your statement that the Police Officer believed the dog was approaching with lethal force is laudible.

There is data based evidence to verify the contrary - the neighbours knew the dog and vouchsafed that it was harmless.

I lived next to a guy that beat the crap out of his wife and I can tell you there were about 10 neighbours who until it came out would've sworn on a stack of bibles that the dude was just a lovely, kind, family guy. You know, until he tried to kill her....

For all we know the cops were there the week before and the dog went ballistic and had to be restrained....so they were already wary of it. I'm sure there will be an investigation into it, it strikes me that the cops can't go around shooting at things without being accountable...

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find some of the comments is this thread totally bizarre, especially for a dog forum.

It would be a different matter if it was a Police Union forum, but its not.

There is a bias and prejudice against the dog, highly inflammatory with questionable motivation.

Oh well, De Ja Vu really.

From where I sit there are people suspending judgement because they don't know what happened. They won't put the boot into the police because they have some knowledge of and/or respect for police officers.

Where are the statements of bias and prejudice condemning the dog Tralee? Feel free to quote them.

You're failing to smother disagreement with your position with a barrage of words so you're switching to personal attack now?

Oh well. Deja Vu [note spelling] really.

ETA: You should know my views well enough to know that I don't blame dogs for behaving aggressively. I blame owners for failing to prevent it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1749179/police-shoot-and-kill-dog-at-wendouree-home/?cs=61

WENDOUREE residents are outraged today after the shooting of a pet Bullmastiff dog by police at a house in Willow Grove. ...

Owner Caroline Elliott has mental health issues and said she was dependent on six-year-old Bruiser's company. ...

"I can't understand, in the whole time he has been here he has never bitten anyone. They shot him in my own driveway."

Renee Fraser, who is the partner of Mrs Elliott's son Craig, said Bruiser was registered and had never been aggressive in the past. ...

"Everyone in this street knows our dog. That's got to say something," Ms Elliot said, pointing to the crowd who had gathered outside their house to mourn Bruiser.

"He was so docile. There was no reason to kill him." ...

"He's never attacked anyone. He'd lick you to death first.

"He growls and barks and that but that's all he would do."

Ballarat City Council said there was no record of complaints or incidents filed against Bruiser.

It will take some very special magician to prove this dog was vicious.

Edited by Tralee

http://www.thecourie...ree-home/?cs=61

WENDOUREE residents are outraged today after the shooting of a pet Bullmastiff dog by police at a house in Willow Grove. ...

Owner Caroline Elliott has mental health issues and said she was dependent on six-year-old Bruiser's company. ...

"I can't understand, in the whole time he has been here he has never bitten anyone. They shot him in my own driveway."

Renee Fraser, who is the partner of Mrs Elliott's son Craig, said Bruiser was registered and had never been aggressive in the past. ...

"Everyone in this street knows our dog. That's got to say something," Ms Elliot said, pointing to the crowd who had gathered outside their house to mourn Bruiser.

"He was so docile. There was no reason to kill him." ...

"He's never attacked anyone. He'd lick you to death first.

Ballarat City Council said there was no record of complaints or incidents filed against Bruiser.

Or one incident. Which we might just have.

Have you never heard the words "he's never done that before?" i have. I did note these words from a family member.

But again, we don't know what happened.

I don't like what happened at all Tralee. No dog deserves this. I'm just not going to blame the police officer without knowing what happened. :shrug:

but nothing quoted in the article would prove that it wasn't either :confused: for me there is just not enough information to have anything approaching an understanding of what occurred

but nothing quoted in the article would prove that it wasn't either :confused: for me there is just not enough information to have anything approaching an understanding of what occurred

I'm not going over the arguments ad infinitum.

A reread of the OP's article will reveal that the dog was shot in its own driveway and the Police had not yet entered the property.

Oh dear.

"

"He growls and barks and that
...to some that behaviour may be seen as vicious, especially if done while advancing toward them. I wonder if we'll ever hear more about the incident?

The article in the Op says:

Ballarat North Sergeant Nathan Gardiner said the members went through the front gate and were half way up the Willow Grove driveway when the dog allegedly ran out the front door in a "threatening manner.

Edited by Roova

That's good because yours aren't improving with repetition.

A reread of the OP's article will reveal that the dog was shot in its own driveway and the Police had not yet entered the property.

Oh dear.

Oh dear's right.

The police were on the property. Are we reading the same article?

Ballarat North Sergeant Nathan Gardiner said the members went through the front gate and were half way up the Willow Grove driveway when the dog allegedly ran out the front door in a "threatening manner.

Perhaps it would suit your position better to argue it was a drive by shooting. You've got as much basis for that as you have for most of your assertions.

That's good because yours aren't improving with repetition.

Oh dear.

Oh dear's right.

The police were on the property. Are we reading the same article?

Perhaps it would suit your position better to argue it was a drive by shooting. You've got as much basis for that as you have for most of your assertions.

:laugh: :rofl:

Jessica Williams, who lives across the road, was walking out of her front door to take her young children to school about 8.58am when the shooting occurred.

"I saw the coppers walk up and the dog hadn't even left the yard," Ms Williams said.

"They didn't say 'put the dog away' or anything. We just heard a bang and then we saw the dog just lying on the ground."

He who :laugh: last, :rofl: hardest.

Thank-you and Goodnight.

I've been here before, its not going to happen again.

Jessica Williams, who lives across the road, was walking out of her front door to take her young children to school about 8.58am when the shooting occurred.

"I saw the coppers walk up and the dog hadn't even left the yard," Ms Williams said.

"They didn't say 'put the dog away' or anything. We just heard a bang and then we saw the dog just lying on the ground."

He who :laugh: last, :rofl: hardest.

Thank-you and Goodnight.

I've been here before, its not going to happen again.

You shouldn't laugh hard yet.

Jessica saw the coppers walk up where Tralee?? She says the dog didn't leave the yard. She does not say the coppers didn't enter and there's the police statement of where the incident occurred.

Or are you ignoring that?

It's already been established both dog and police were in the yard though. It was running out the front door toward the police who were heading for the front door.

Yelling put your dog away at that point is too late! If the owners opened the door to release the dog they are probably very sorry they did. How will we ever know though?

It's already been established both dog and police were in the yard though. It was running out the front door toward the police who were heading for the front door.

Yelling put your dog away at that point is too late! If the owners opened the door to release the dog they are probably very sorry they did. How will we ever know though?

Without press follow up, I doubt we ever will.

So folks on dol are allowed to criticise a dog and or it's owner if that dog rushes a member here and scares the cr*p out of them? If that was the nature of the thread here I can't imagine half as many people jumping in to blame the poster, the one that was being threatened...

But turn the tables nd imagine it's a cop being threatened by a 60kg dog, and they are suddenly a big sook for being afraid.

The last dog that really rushed me was probably 20kg. And it scared the crap out of me. If I had of been armed I would have shot it. I've only once been seriously rushed by a really big powerful dog (Dane) and it's a moment I will never forget as well.

But maybe any of us that have been truly frightened by a dog are really just in need of a spoonful of concrete...

Tralee, you are aware that dogs have killed people right? A dog that size could inflict a great deal of damage and ruin that officers career permanently if it grabbed him in the wrong spot. We aren't talking about fluffy baby kittens but a large very powerful dog that caused enough concern that the officer shot him. he has to go through the wringer and he knows it because he discharged a weapon, they don't do it lightly. Climb a tree, are you for real :eek:

In any issue of fear, the law is clear.

Force can only be met with equal force.

Gun vs Dog. My scales of justice tend to have the dog riding much higher than the gun

But we have some bwave police officers in Victoria.

Maybe he could have just climbed a tree.

Does not apply to dogs , cats, stampeding Rhino or charging Lions.

Gun vs Dog. My scales of justice tend to have the dog riding much higher than the gun

what about zebra?

what about zebra?

I was charged by a wombat once but I climbed a tree.