Dog Shot At Wendouree Home

Zereuloh

The case for or against the Police being on the property is crystal clear.

Access can be denied.

I do not hear an argument to justify the shooting of the dog.

On the contrary, in NSW, it is not an offence if the dog is protecting property.

It seems to be the ultimate case of animal cruelty from those who are charged to protect us from such barbarity.

Unless someone can convincing put the case to acquit the officer, then I am on the side of the prosecution to sue for deprivation of a whole gambit of legally protected rights and priveleges.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is there a A LOT of corrupt police officers who lie through their teeth. That's common knowledge. Before you put words in my mouth. I said a lot, not all. ;)

well because there are corrupt men and women who lie thru their teeth ( also plenty of non corrupt men and women who lie thru their teeth) in the general population .. it is logical to assume that there are corrupt men and women in positions of power and trust. The police are not exempt from that spread as they are part of the general population but i would think that their %'s would in reality be lower ...

H

What if the dog turned at the same time the gun was fired?

I wondered that myself...say someone called him from the house when they saw the police approaching and he started to turn, could the bullet have entered the back of the neck?

Or could the family member who examined the poor dog's corpse have mistaken the exit wound for the entry if the dog was mid leap and the bullet entry was in the throat?

It is all speculation at this point anyway.

It is a tragedy that could have been prevented.

And Jed, it may be too late to hark back, sorry, but just to let you know that having a different opinion from the majority is NOT what I call trolling, and my warning not to feed trolls (though that particular troll has been royally feasted in here since laugh.gif) was not prompted by your posts in here, but by those of the self-acclaimed "pot stirrer".

It seems to be the ultimate case of animal cruelty

cruel, IMO would have been a tazer, and or/capsicum spray, or a bullet or two in a non lethal spot causing much pain & confusion .... :(

this seemed to be an instant death ....a 'humane' end, as some would say ...

What if the dog turned at the same time the gun was fired?

I wondered that myself...say someone called him from the house when they saw the police approaching and he started to turn, could the bullet have entered the back of the neck?

Or could the family member who examined the poor dog's corpse have mistaken the exit wound for the entry if the dog was mid leap and the bullet entry was in the throat?

It is all speculation at this point anyway.

It is a tragedy that could have been prevented.

And Jed, it may be too late to hark back, sorry, but just to let you know that having a different opinion from the majority is NOT what I call trolling, and my warning not to feed trolls (though that particular troll has been royally feasted in here since laugh.gif) was not prompted by your posts in here, but by those of the self-acclaimed "pot stirrer".

Or maybe the dog came in head low... or tried to bite him on the leg, or went for the officer beside or behind the one who shot him ..... easy line to the back of the dog's neck then. Maybe the dog was running away from them and the police officer is just an @rsehole.. who knows?

No amount of speculation is going to make up for an absence of facts about what happened. Won't stop some folk from trying and convicting the police officer though :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

All in a day's work for the Police Officer then.

"Oh hello dear, what did you do at work today?"

"Not much, just shot a family pet whom the whole neighbourhood new and loved. It was owned by an old, disabled woman. She can always get another one"

The case for or against the Police being on the property is crystal clear.

Access can be denied.

Was it?

I do not hear an argument to justify the shooting of the dog.

On the contrary, in NSW, it is not an offence if the dog is protecting property.

There is only one that could justify it. The police officer believed that the dog was going to attack him and that lethal force was necessary to prevent it.

It seems to be the ultimate case of animal cruelty from those who are charged to protect us from such barbarity.

Thank you Justice Tralee. Based on very little fact, a demonstrated history of bias and no word from the Defence, you've tried the case and convicted very neatly. I look forward to the appeal. :)

"Not much, just shot a family pet whom the whole neighbourhood new and loved. It was owned by an old, disabled woman. She can always get another one"

Does it worry you at all that you're ridiculing a person you've never met and whose side of the story you've never heard?

I guess not.

The only police officer I know who's shot a person has PTSD. Another who's had a death in custody still has nightmares. A lot of cops LOVE dogs. To conclude that this person would shoot a dog and shrug it off is both presumptive and frankly, unfair.

Does it worry you at all that you're conducting a systematic public character assassination of a person you've never met and whose side of the story you've never heard?

I guess not.

Just try to get your head around this would you?

No. Try not. Do or do not.

The dog did not have a gun.

Your statement that the Police Officer believed the dog was approaching with lethal force is laudible.

There is data based evidence to verify the contrary - the neighbours knew the dog and vouchsafed that it was harmless.

Hilarious in a sad kind of way.

Does it not strike people that law enforcement officers and former law enforcement officers might own dogs and be members of DOL? Or is the fact that they are female enough for people to discount the possibility?

FWIW, there are currently serving and former police, customs, quarantine and other regulatory officers who own dogs and who are members here. I think this whole thread is an object lesson in remembering that you may not be the expert in the room.

I find some of the comments is this thread totally bizarre, especially for a dog forum.

It would be a different matter if it was a Police Union forum, but its not.

There is a bias and prejudice against the dog, highly inflammatory with questionable motivation.

Oh well, De Ja Vu really.

Edited by Tralee

Does it worry you at all that you're conducting a systematic public character assassination of a person you've never met and whose side of the story you've never heard?

I guess not.

Your statement that the Police Officer believed the dog was approaching with lethal force is laudible.

There is data based evidence to verify the contrary - the neighbours knew the dog and vouchsafed that it was harmless.

So if a gorilla comes running at me with a sword and I kill them with a bat in self defense then I'm a sadist?

Edited by mixeduppup

T

here is data based evidence to verify the contrary - the neighbours knew the dog and vouchsafed that it was harmless.
( interesting choice of word)

Hmmmm... ..I hardly call that 'data based evidence' ...unless the evidence is a lack of bite scars...

(sorry, I HAD to :o)

I am very sorry the people lost their dog in that fashion .. :(

Edited by persephone

It did have teeth didn't it? Are you suggesting that police may only use firearms in self defence if they're about to be shot at?

Please provide any kind of evidence of any first hand account of a neighbour vouching that the dog was harmless. Unless we're reading different reports, the only evidence of that is provided by a family member. Even in your court Justice Tralee, I think you'd have to rule that hearsay.

I have not stated what the police officer believed by the way. How could I - there is no evidence of his belief. I stated what he would have to have believed to make shooting the dog justifiable. I suspect you found what I said laughable, not laudable, but I could be wrong.

In any issue of fear, the law is clear.

Force can only be met with equal force.

Gun vs Dog. My scales of justice tend to have the dog riding much higher than the gun

But we have some bwave police officers in Victoria.

Maybe he could have just climbed a tree.

police went to someone's house..a dog died ... that's really all we have as fact ..

so the Wotif personage, not being present , can not add anything verifiable ;)

that is pretty much what I thought, when initially reading about this case I was not happy that a situation had resulted in the death of a dog and I fervently hope that there is a rigorous investigation of the circumstances (I for one would be demanding answers if this happened to one of my animals), but there is not enough credible independent information to form a valid opinion. Sure there are some rotten apples in the police force (as there are in any profession), but to tar every one of them with the same brush is nonsensical. There are a great many of those who serve that do a often thankless job with dedication to the greater good of our society (for example, I for one am grateful that that there are men and women whose jobs entail searching for those who produce child exploitation material - not a job I could ever do, but I am thankful that there are people who are dedicated to bringing the perpetrators to justice)