Anyone Associated With Rescue At Renbury?

There's a little tan & white dog recently come into Renbury 9/9/13. No 903. He's described as a small mixed breed. But he looks like a Tibetan Spaniel. Face like my p/b girl & has the typical hare-feet.

An owner could be phoning the pound & asking if a Tibbie has come in. If so, there'd be no match.

If there's anyone rescuing at Renbury, could you mention this to the staff?

If unclaimed, he could be a nice little dog for rescue.

post-3304-0-47588000-1378766671_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

Sure is, DD. And not just for Tibbies. There's other less common breeds that risk getting the wrong label.

I wouldn't blame Pound staff.

Many times I've had to run a pic past the eagle-eyed registered breeders, because I'm not sure.

And microchipping by owners would prevent it.

PS Thanks to Powerlegs for spotting this lad. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

Renbury Farm Animal Shelter is proud to announce that we will not be breed labelling dogs that enter our care, where appropriate, effective immediately. Most of the dogs who enter the shelter, who cannot be identified, will either be 'Mixed Breed' or 'Cross Breed.'

Visually identifying dogs is a flawed practice and behaviour cannot be predicted from it. We see this time and time again with Breed Specific Legislation. We have decided to take this step forward in the hopes potential adopters will see the individual dog first, rather than any preconceived ideas they may have about breeds.

It's important the dog is primarily seen for its behaviour and character.

We'll continue to give all factual information (age, size, personality, behaviour, etc) as these are all important things for any adopter to consider and we hope this will give both adopters and dogs a chance to make a better match.

Renbury made this announcement earlier in the year and as such most dogs which are not chipped as a breed are listed as an appropriately sized x breed.

This way there is no risk getting the wrong label.

Yes it is more aimed at adopters but if the owner can describe their dog accurately there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to get it back. I know of cases where people have rung the pound to see if their such and such breed dog is in there and they have been told no because the breed their dog was chipped as was different to the breed they were calling it. This can be eliminated by asking for a description of the dog instead.

As Gertrude said, this is Renbury's policy to ensure dogs aren't given the wrong breeds (ask ten people what's in a dog of unknown origin, and you'll get a lot of different answers).

But, when people call and mention a breed or describe its looks, the staff will tell them about dogs that may fit the description.

Thanks for that info, Gertrude. I hope the Pound staff explain that to any owner who's phoning asking if a certain breed has come in. And then requiring a specific description. Trouble is, description like tan & white small dog, might fit a number of dogs.

Of course, best thing is for owner to go look.

I understand Renbury's position... they're trying to get dogs 'judged' for adoption by their actual behaviour & not by breed stereotype.

They're right, that so many dogs have been misjudged.

I hope if this little fellow goes to rescue, tho', that then the label Tibetan Spaniel can be put on him. Because there are breed traits & connections.

The staff there are quite on the ball mita :) and you are right the best thing is to go and look themselves.

They also do a good job of keeping the website and faccebook page updated with photos so if like you said the description matched a few I'm sure they would direct them to look at the pics if they weren't able to visit the farm themselves.

Breed labeling once gone from the pound would be up to the individual rescue obviously.

I understand Renbury's position... they're trying to get dogs 'judged' for adoption by their actual behaviour & not by breed stereotype.

True, but you'd think they could make a stab at suggesting the dog may have XYZ breed looks.

The staff there are quite on the ball mita :)

Yes, I've only ever heard exceptionally good things about the staff at Renbury. :thumbsup:

Renbury has worked very closely with rescue groups for years :thumbsup:

He now has rescue with SAS :)

I know Renbury's policy re breed names but they do have visual ID on recognisable breeds. Maltese, pom, JRT etc. And this boy is a tibby, not all that common but very definitely a breed with their own odd little quirks. :laugh: Glad he's got rescue, he's very pretty.

True, but you'd think they could make a stab at suggesting the dog may have XYZ breed looks.

Trouble is, what's stopping them from having a guess this dog is a Pom x Jack Russell (or something equally bizarre)?

I wouldn't necessarily guess Tibetan Spaniel. The person standing next to me might but then the person next to him might think something else entirely. I think it's safer not to take a stab at guessing a breed. God knows there'd be a lot less dogs dead if the government, councils, rangers, and shelter management stopped doing it.

Saying that, Renbury are good and will contact breed rescues if they think there may be a dog that fits their criteria. And they always put up whatever is on a microchip, so owners have the best chance of finding their dogs. :)

As someone who has worked in a pound, it can be dangerous to label a dog you aren't sure of. I used to get people calling and describing their dog as "brown". Thats it.... Should the pound say yes, there is a brown dog here and give the owner false hope?

The owner shouldn't be just calling, they need to go in and look.

The owner shouldn't be just calling, they need to go in and look.

Wouldn't argue with that! There's been quite a few instances that I personally know of, where an owner just phoning the Pound & asking using a breed label, finished up in tears.... or nearly in tears.

But, given the Renbury Pound staff's excellent reputation, I'm sure they would handle owner phone enquiries intelligently. My initial concern was based on my not knowing Renbury's new policy. And thinking that other dogs were still being labelled by breed. So this little guy would be out on a limb.

Thanks to Gertrude giving information, I know that's not so.

AND.... thanks to Powerlegs' update, the little guy even has rescue lined up, if not claimed. Shall let Tibbie folk know. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

[quote name='Plan B' timestamp='1378782474' post='6295456'

Trouble is, what's stopping them from having a guess this dog is a Pom x Jack Russell (or something equally bizarre)?

I wouldn't necessarily guess Tibetan Spaniel.

Agree, As I said , I'm often nor sure if a dog is a Tibetan Spaniel & have to ask eagle-eyed breeders.

Have a look at this line-up of purebred, show-quality Tibetan Spaniels, & the variation.

Add to that the fact Tibbies turning up in Pounds may be pet-quality or not strictly to standard.

So different people could guess differently.

(click)

post-3304-0-04495800-1378790473_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita