Tick Treatment?

airlock

I use frontline as we have cats and young kids. I therfore wont use advantix or collars.

Although I worry about efficancy after reviews on this site..

The cat thing I understand, but not the kid thing. Do some reading on Fipronil. Unfortunately for any of these products to truly be effective there is usually some level of toxic material. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

I'm also looking at Advantix. Is this not a wise thing to use on my two dogs if I have a cat?

I've used it for many years with cats in the house. I apply the advantix carefully in a few spots down the dogs back. If you don't squirt it on all at once you don't get run off. Once it dries and binds it is fine. But if you have a dog and cat who are physically close and the cat grooms the dog etc, best to separate for 24 hours. I did however, make a really huge and stupid mistake one night. I had put a tube of Advantix in the Advantage box once and the next time I went to do all my cats and dogs I didn't check the tubes. One of the cats copped a large breed dose of Advantix on the back of his neck. When I came home he was seizing on the floor. Rushed him to emergency and about a week later he came home. He's not ever been quite right since. One side of his face sagged for about a year but that has since gone back to normal, but it's definitely affected his brain. I continued to use Advantix as the threat of ticks was just too great but obviously check tubes in a paranoid manner since. Even when the tube is in the bin, I still go back for 'one more check'. :o I've lost two dogs to ticks, both with Frontline - hence my not being a big fan of its efficacy.

Edited by Clyde

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, you can't use Advantix on your dogs if they come into contact with cats or there are cats in your household.

Yes, you can. You just need to be sensible. I know of literally 100's of homes (clients) who have cats and use Advantix.

Yep, we have to use the spot on but dont let the kids touch until dry, the cats are too much of a rsk as we have two.

One of my cats is highly allergic to a spot on himself and has to use program.

The collar I wont use because of kids, they are always around the puppy and I dont want them to touch the collar and I dont wish to touch it either. So no collars here.

If frontline is so poor at tick and flea protection, why do people buy it and why has it been around for so long?

I have also read of so many dogs having reactions to advantix, it scared me.

I wish they had a decent tablet or injection for ticks and fleas together :(

I use frontline as we have cats and young kids. I therfore wont use advantix or collars.

Although I worry about efficancy after reviews on this site..

The cat thing I understand, but not the kid thing. Do some reading on Fipronil. Unfortunately for any of these products to truly be effective there is usually some level of toxic material. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

Edited by fluff1234

Yep, we have to use the spot on but dont let the kids touch until dry, the cats are too much of a rsk as we have two.

One of my cats is highly allergic to a spot on himself and has to use program.

The collar I wont use because of kids, they are always around the puppy and I dont want them to touch the collar and I dont wish to touch it either. So no collars here.

If frontline is so poor at tick and flea protection, why do people buy it and why has it been around for so long?

I have also read of so many dogs having reactions to advantix, it scared me.

I wish they had a decent tablet or injection for ticks and fleas together :(

I would only worry about the cats reaction to Advantix if the cats actively groomed the dogs a lot. But I understand not wanting to take the risk.

Unfortunately, in areas like my own, Frontline is next to useless. We still sell plenty, probably because it does seem to work for SOME people, like my own parents. They've had ONE tick in over 20 years, and a couple of flea bites. I won't take that risk however and use Advantix because I live slightly further south and have more bush around here.

Many more dogs seem to react to Comfortis, and I won't touch that stuff ever. And keep in mind, that I'm sure many more people will tell of negative experiences than positive. My work is literally selling 30+ packs of Advantix a week, and trust me, people come back when they are not happy!

But really, you've got to weigh up the risks, reaction vs. paralysis and/or very expensive vet bill for yourself, and take into account how bad the area you live in is for ticks. For me, the bad reaction has never happened, and I've not had a tick yet + saw a flea once but once only and I live in one of the worst areas for paralysis ticks in Australia, for me - there is no choice but to use this product!

I live in Brisbane and semi rural, VERY high tick area, so unsure what to do?

Have you heard of huge reactions to advantix, when I was reviewing what to use, I read so many which said it was dangerous?

My cats stay well away from our pup, other than a swinging cat claw if they get too close thats all the contact they have yet..

The kids have LOTS of contact and hugs, so its a huge concern and hence why there was a pill, I really hate spot ons!

Edited by fluff1234

She doesn't mention paralysis ticks which I don't think they have in the USA.

The few times I've taken my dogs to a tick area I have used Advantix & I have a cat. I was told that it is safe after 24 hours after it has dried. I found it very stinky & sticky/greasy & didn't think it would ever dry. My dogs don't have much to do with my cat but if yours does I'd be separating them for the 24 hour period after application.

I also used Frontline spray on my JS when he was a puppy. I told the vet what I'd heard about the product & she said no, don't apply if the dog is clean. It works best if the dog has it's natural oils intact. I found it had a very strong unpleasant odour as well.

Does anyone know how long to wait before applying tick/flea treatment after a bath. My pup had a bath yesterday afternoon at the groomers and I just realised he was due his tick/flea stuff at the 2 week mark on wednesday! I was in hospital having surgery and completely forgot ... How long should I wait after this bath?

Edited by fluff1234

My biggest concern with that product is that they don't have the same ticks as we do, and thus that product isn't designed to combat them. I would want to see real evidence and scientific trials from that treatment before using it, it would be awesome if it could replace Advantix and Frontline (or ticks could just drop of the planet completely! I can't see anyone suffering too much from a tick wipeout)

I've heard of more reactions to Advantix on here, than in real life. Anecdotally, they are more likely to happen in little dogs.

I honestly would think that you would be safe to use Advantix considering how far away the cats stay from the dog. Unfortunately the residue for the kids remains, and I find it very noticeable on a white dog but it's worth it. At the end of the day though, it's your call to make. I have lots of customers who have cats and dogs and use Advantix safely, and probably a number that have both animals and use Advantix on the dog not knowing that it's toxic to the cat. You wouldn't believe the number of people coming in asking for Advantix for their cat! We just smile and say "you must mean Advantage, Advantix would kill your cat" and they don't know! :eek:

I'm waiting eagerly for a tick pill to come back after Proban got banned, down here nearly everybody visits the beach in the afternoon with their dog!

Does anyone know how long to wait before applying tick/flea treatment after a bath. My pup had a bath yesterday afternoon at the groomers and I just realised he was due his tick/flea stuff at the 2 week mark on wednesday! I was in hospital having surgery and completely forgot ... How long should I wait after this bath?

24 hours after the bath, no sooner.

Thanks. I think with residue for the kids, I have little option as ALL treatments will leave some residue for the kids, except tablets. I wish they would make a tablet asap!

I will tell the kids to not touch him around the neck for at least 48hrs after treatment, this is easier during a school week. He sleeps in the crate when we will apply it before bed, so will be dry before morning and no cat will get near him as he is in the crate, door shut and our bedroom door shut as we dont have the cats in our bedroom at night. morning will be school run, so would be almost 20 hrs since treatment, when they come home... Kids not touch that night so next evening would be almost 2 days, that should be OK, I hope...

Will order advantix next time..

I hate chemicals, we only use vinegar to clean in the house and organic meat, fruit and veg!

But have little choice... :(

I never thought of that about different countries :) So yes a real consideration...

My biggest concern with that product is that they don't have the same ticks as we do, and thus that product isn't designed to combat them. I would want to see real evidence and scientific trials from that treatment before using it, it would be awesome if it could replace Advantix and Frontline (or ticks could just drop of the planet completely! I can't see anyone suffering too much from a tick wipeout)

I've heard of more reactions to Advantix on here, than in real life. Anecdotally, they are more likely to happen in little dogs.

I honestly would think that you would be safe to use Advantix considering how far away the cats stay from the dog. Unfortunately the residue for the kids remains, and I find it very noticeable on a white dog but it's worth it. At the end of the day though, it's your call to make. I have lots of customers who have cats and dogs and use Advantix safely, and probably a number that have both animals and use Advantix on the dog not knowing that it's toxic to the cat. You wouldn't believe the number of people coming in asking for Advantix for their cat! We just smile and say "you must mean Advantage, Advantix would kill your cat" and they don't know! :eek:

I'm waiting eagerly for a tick pill to come back after Proban got banned, down here nearly everybody visits the beach in the afternoon with their dog!

Edited by fluff1234

24 hours after the bath, no sooner.

I am not sure if it makes any difference, but I apply the Advantix in several spots from the top of their head to the base of their tail.

Me too, except I run it in a line from the shoulder blades to the bum. So she's a yellow-striped dally for a few days. Sometimes it seems like too much liquid for one little spot!

Both Frontline and Advantix spot ons require reapplication every two weeks to treat for ticks. I use Advantix as I live in a very high tick area however I still check over the body for ticks too.

With checking your dogs RiverStar have you ever found ticks on your dogs using Advantix? I don't live in a tick area & have never seen a tick on a dog & always worry about taking them to a tick area.

I have never found a tick on any of my dogs in the entire 30 years I've been living in this area. *touch wood* and I've also been told that Frontline is ineffective in my area, however, I can't comment on this because I've personally never used Frontline.

I am not sure if it makes any difference, but I apply the Advantix in several spots from the top of their head to the base of their tail.

Me too, except I run it in a line from the shoulder blades to the bum. So she's a yellow-striped dally for a few days. Sometimes it seems like too much liquid for one little spot!

I just worry that by spreading it over the body like that, my dogs will lick it off causing them to get sick.

I also have a cat and use Advantix; my dogs and cat never come into contact with each other, however, I do let the family know when I treat them to make sure they wash their hands thoroughly after playing with the dogs before touching the cat.

I have heard this too. My Vet advised me to use half between the shoulder blades & dot the rest further along the spine but make sure to not apply it too far down the spine as the dog can turn around & lick it off as it is toxic. I had never thought of that actually.