Tick Treatment?

airlock

My dogs have never tried to lick it off. I do keep them occupied with treats & a game for ten minutes afterwards though, otherwise the young bloke will do a role, but after a couple of minutes of distractions, he forgets all about it. I always make sure I get as much as possible on bare skin. When you think about it, it is going to spread over the whole body anyway, as that is the way it works....by dotting it down along the spine you are just speeding up that process. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleo is totally not interested when I apply it, she only ever grooms herself at bedtime and then it's not her back that she looks after.... :laugh:

The other dog doesn't go near it either. Of course, if I had a dog that was going to groom itself, I would take steps to prevent it happening.

Does anyone know how long to wait before applying tick/flea treatment after a bath. My pup had a bath yesterday afternoon at the groomers and I just realised he was due his tick/flea stuff at the 2 week mark on wednesday! I was in hospital having surgery and completely forgot ... How long should I wait after this bath?

You can apply it as soon as you like AFTER a bath as long as pup is completely dry. DO NOT shampoo for 48 hours after you apply you spot on tick /flea treatment :)

My dogs have never tried to lick it off. I do keep them occupied with treats & a game for ten minutes afterwards though, otherwise the young bloke will do a role, but after a couple of minutes of distractions, he forgets all about it. I always make sure I get as much as possible on bare skin. When you think about it, it is going to spread over the whole body anyway, as that is the way it works....by dotting it down along the spine you are just speeding up that process. :)

Same here. My guys have never tried to lick it off either. Maybe some dogs do. I don't know. I just apply it before their evening brush.

Sonny has never worried about me applying it. Stella used to be a shocker.I get more on me than her :o It was a 2 person job to apply it. OH had to hold her.

I think it was the smell that used to upset her cause she was OK till I opened it. Anyway I persisted & she stands very still now thankfully :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Does anyone know how long to wait before applying tick/flea treatment after a bath. My pup had a bath yesterday afternoon at the groomers and I just realised he was due his tick/flea stuff at the 2 week mark on wednesday! I was in hospital having surgery and completely forgot ... How long should I wait after this bath?

You can apply it as soon as you like AFTER a bath as long as pup is completely dry. DO NOT shampoo for 48 hours after you apply you spot on tick /flea treatment :)

I had read/heard that you should wait 2-3 days so the body oils have a chance to distribute over the dog & so distribute the product. When going to Newcastle last year with our dogs we were told to apply Advantix twice, 2 weeks apart, if we weren't already using it for ticks.

I've used Frontline and am currently using Advantix, but found both irritate Ollie's sensitive skin quite badly. He ends up rolling around on the grass trying to get rid of it which probably then defeats the purpose!

I had read/heard that you should wait 2-3 days so the body oils have a chance to distribute over the dog & so distribute the product. When going to Newcastle last year with our dogs we were told to apply Advantix twice, 2 weeks apart, if we weren't already using it for ticks.

Interesting luvsdogs. I have never heard that you should wait after bathing your dog to apply Advantix. I pretty much always apply it the same day. At least once a month anyway as I wash my guys every 3 weeks.

When you say you were told to apply it twice, 2 weeks apart you mean every fortnight. Yes ?? If so that is correct to help with Tick protection. Still go over your dogs at least daily to check for them.

Edited by BC Crazy

Interesting luvsdogs. I have never heard that you should wait after bathing your dog to apply Advantix. I pretty much always apply it the same day. At least once a month anyway as I wash my guys every 3 weeks.

When you say you were told to apply it twice, 2 weeks apart you mean every fortnight. Yes ?? If so that is correct to help with Tick protection. Still go over your dogs at least daily to check for them.

Yeh, Advantix is applied every two weeks for tick protection, as standard. So those instructions weren't anything new.

The leaflet in the box is a bit vague when it comes to application after washing etc

Advantix remains effective following soap-free shampoo treatment, swimming or exposure to rain. If washing animal during use of this product use soap-free product 14 days after treatment.

That's all it says in regards to water, nothing about waiting periods before or after.

(bolding mine, because I'm not sure most people realise soap washes it off)

Edited by minimax

After speaking to the reps for Frontline and Revolution, which use the same method of distribution (the skin oils), applying after at least 24 hours is best - to avoid the risk of applying it to a dog that isn't completely dry (water + oil not mixing and all that). I don't know why they don't put it on the leaflet, it's information we are told when being taught about the products.

I wait, or apply it between baths because when you're paying that much, why risk wasting it?

Yeh, Advantix is applied every two weeks for tick protection, as standard. So those instructions weren't anything new.

The leaflet in the box is a bit vague when it comes to application after washing etc

Advantix remains effective following soap-free shampoo treatment, swimming or exposure to rain. If washing animal during use of this product use soap-free product 14 days after treatment.

That's all it says in regards to water, nothing about waiting periods before or after.

(bolding mine, because I'm not sure most people realise soap washes it off)

Yes I know that, but what was meant was if you don't usually use it at all, to make sure you use it twice & not just once before going to a tick area.