Large Lump On Side Of Neck

Our 18 moth old jack russell x foxy has a large lump on his neck .

The lump appeared out of the blue

no pain when touched or lightly squeezed

It is firm to touch but moves around under the skin

He doesn"t seem to know its there

He doesn"t scratch it

eating as per normal

Hasn"t slowed him down any

No visable marks no break in the skin

While I know most people would have me high tailing it to vet and of course I would had he been in pain etc But as my vet likes to charge and preform every test under the sun I thought at least if I had some form of idea I wouldn"t be a sucker for un-necessary tests

just did a measure

5cm long 2 cm wide its gone down since yesterday .........

I did look it up and it said a vet will need to drain it so looks like a vet trip I have plenty of antibiotics here so thats covered :)

Thankfully its not a major thing .

Since he"s a bit of a sook I reckon he will play on it AFTER the vet :D

all his vaccinations are up to date ...I thought at first it may have been a bee sting as we have stupid palms that flower and the bee"s go nuts sadly because we rent my request to have them removed was denied ----don"t even get me started about their leaves the seed pods etc

I have plenty of antibiotics here so thats covered :)

How come you have plenty of antibiotics? and how do you know you have the right one to treat the offending bug IF it is an infection?

Having said that, it sounds like a haematoma and will probably reabsorb given time. Still needs a vet assessment though

I have plenty of antibiotics here so thats covered :)

How come you have plenty of antibiotics? and how do you know you have the right one to treat the offending bug IF it is an infection?

Having said that, it sounds like a haematoma and will probably reabsorb given time. Still needs a vet assessment though

Im a foster carer so I have a range of antibiotics mange treatments etc plus a well stocked first aid kit Using the right one will depend on which one the vet tells me to use I will give him a list of the meds I have

I won"t just pill pop him :)

Ive seen some things treated some wounds however this one hasn"t come up (no pun intended)

Im a foster carer so I have a range of antibiotics

So vets just give them to you without a script??

NO my rescuer did as too where she bought them from ????? and really not the topic I was just being honest about everything so if anyone had some thoughts about my dogs lump they had the facts Im sorry but thats what I was asking about thinking you all have had experience and may be able to give advice I wasnt looking to change the subject begin a different one or get anyone in trouble

Vet. Could be quite a few things.

After treating an injury my dog had then calling the after hours vet I had explained what I done over the phone The vet then quoted I had done everything right and exactly what they would have done ...Which made me feel proud of myself some on that day I was far from the title but felt like a vet :D

NO my rescuer did as too where she bought them from ????? and really not the topic I was just being honest about everything

I am not sure why anyone would have antibiotic supplies to use off their own bat, but please do not use prescription medication on any dog without veterinary advice. This is coming from someone who is currently trying to manage a dog with a severe drug induced skin disease caused by prescribed cephalosporin. Antibiotics should never be given without careful consideration and testing for sensitivities. It's a concern that vets often hand them out just in case, and even more of a concern that members of the general public have their own supplies to use whenever they THINK they are needed and without vet advice.

Edited by Florise

I have antibiotics in my cupboard that are excess from when an animal has passed away or when a decision was made to change to a different drug and therefore there was a remainder, it's a side effect of caring for lots of critters including those that are in a bad way when you get them. I won't throw them away because while they are still in date my vet will just supply the extra needed to make up a course if that particular drug is needed again by one of my animals. Having medications in your cupboard doesn't mean you are using them irresponsibly but it might save me a few dollars if it is needed again.

As for the actual topic it does sound like it could do with being checked by a vet and see what he says. Best of luck :)

After treating an injury my dog had then calling the after hours vet I had explained what I done over the phone The vet then quoted I had done everything right and exactly what they would have done ...Which made me feel proud of myself some on that day I was far from the title but felt like a vet :D

:) It does feel good when you find that what you've done is the right thing !

I hope that this vet visit will result in a diagnosis of something easily fixable for your little guy .

NO my rescuer did as too where she bought them from ????? and really not the topic I was just being honest about everything

I am not sure why anyone would have antibiotic supplies to use off their own bat, but please do not use prescription medication on any dog without veterinary advice. This is coming from someone who is currently trying to manage a dog with a severe drug induced skin disease caused by prescribed cephalosporin. Antibiotics should never be given without careful consideration and testing for sensitivities. It's a concern that vets often hand them out just in case, and even more of a concern that members of the general public have their own supplies to use whenever they THINK they are needed and without vet advice.

In rescue you have them because exactly as KelpieCuddles said, animals die or drug regimens change. You learn not to throw things out, keep them until they expire, if a future dog is prescribed them at a consult it can reduce the extra amount dispensed. I've never had a vet tell me to muck around with meds at home.

& I've never had a vet give me excess to requirements, in rescue that's just a waste of money.

It is stupid and irresponsible to diagnose when you're not qualified, but having spare meds is part and parcel of foster care. OP simply stated she would see the vet and already had antibiotics. Not that she intended to google-diagnose and google-medicate.

In rescue you have them because exactly as KelpieCuddles said, animals die or drug regimens change. You learn not to throw things out, keep them until they expire, if a future dog is prescribed them at a consult it can reduce the extra amount dispensed. I've never had a vet tell me to muck around with meds at home.

& I've never had a vet give me excess to requirements, in rescue that's just a waste of money.

It is stupid and irresponsible to diagnose when you're not qualified, but having spare meds is part and parcel of foster care. OP simply stated she would see the vet and already had antibiotics. Not that she intended to google-diagnose and google-medicate.

THANKYOU powerlegs here is an exampple ---I had a dog who vet suggested he be sedated after desexing to help him as he was big powerful and wouldn"t stay still for more than 5 minutes They gave me a script 12 x Acp 25mg tablets x 500 instructions were Give 1/2 to 1 tablet twice daily as Necessary to sedate will last 2-4 hours WELL I only used 1 tablet now I have 11 left over still in script bag with complete instructions and the date etc ..It is quite easy to have something left over AND as I said I was taking a list of what I had with me to the vet IF I had the right tablets then I wouldn"t need to double up or as you said F in rescue thats just a waste of money .........BUT do you know what has me so upset? I wrote an honest thing about a problem with my dog I wrote it here asking for help from people I thought would maybe able to give me advice instead Its been taken away from what I was seeking and turned into something completely different I don"t think that was very helpful nor fair .would you rather me lie give you half the story or not even bother turning to people I thought were here as part of a dog community .I don"t know anyone from a bar of soap I wasn"t expecting to be grilled I was simply concerned about my dog before I took him to the vet . BY the way the lump went down over night

animal ark .. glad the lump has settled - :)

Basically , if you need anything dog related , this is the best spot in cyberspace

This forum is full of all sorts of people , and all sorts of stuff gets posted- some helpful, and some not so . --- learning to use the 'ignore function ' (found in the "my controls" section) helps sometimes , as does realising that often a thread will take on a life of its own ;)