What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Out?

Guest hanko

I mentioned he ran of and I had to chase him when I called him to come in, he is only young and thinks its a fun chase game LOL, they mentioned why does he have that freedom, he shouldnt have that freedom in the garden, to be able to do it and he should be leashed! I mentioned we had issues with him toiletting on the lead, which cause real problems in the beginning and now is not a problem as he goes freely to the toilet when I take him out, watch and treat. I was told he has to learn to toilet on the leash. I however, didnt follow this advice, he has way too much fun playing in the yard and I really dont want to stress his toileting out either as he hasnt had an indoor accident for weeks and weeks and is only 17 weeks old.

We are actually switching training schools soon due to another issue regarding desexing, so will ask them their thoughts :)

Please ask on here for a more sensible training school ! I have never heard that puppies should not be allowed to free run in their own yard :(

Noise/shadows/learning to THINK and problem solve when alone , learning what's up/down .... all this is what helps make a confident and thinking dog, IMO.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a large pen with a concrete floor, fake grass and lots of toys :)

I am suprised so many are outside, I would be so worried they would escape or be stolen.

The dogs either side of us are left outside all day and are a pest

The dog training said its not good for puppies too leave outside either..

Maybe they are outside cause they are after all dogs and it's good for them, rather then be cooped up in a pen for 3/4 of their life. Pups need to feel rain on their back, sunlight on their face, wind ruffling through their fur, chase a leaf blowing along the ground. I appreciate this is not always possible for people living in flats/units but if you have a backyard, then yeah I think the dog should be allowed to enjoy it, on his own terms, not with a human hovering over them.

Totally agree with this :) Environmental exploration /developing of all sorts of skills ..and just FUN ..watching bugs , tasting grass, sniffing dirt, feeling different things with those paddy feet ....

I have to say I do worry about someone taking her when she's outside and I'm out, but she can get back into the laundry through her small pet door, she's not keen on strangers, she wouldn't let them touch her, she won't take treats off just anyone either, even her favourite ones.

I want her to be able to be outside, it such a natural place to be for them, lying on the grass in the sun, hunting through the mondo grass. :)

In a large pen with a concrete floor, fake grass and lots of toys :)

I am suprised so many are outside, I would be so worried they would escape or be stolen.

The dogs either side of us are left outside all day and are a pest

The dog training said its not good for puppies too leave outside either..

Maybe they are outside cause they are after all dogs and it's good for them, rather then be cooped up in a pen for 3/4 of their life. Pups need to feel rain on their back, sunlight on their face, wind ruffling through their fur, chase a leaf blowing along the ground. I appreciate this is not always possible for people living in flats/units but if you have a backyard, then yeah I think the dog should be allowed to enjoy it, on his own terms, not with a human hovering over them.

I guess, it's a calculated risk and knowing your dog though Fluff1234. We have 6ft fences and gates, our gates and house doors are all keylocked. My dog is 29kg, so would be awkward to lift over a high fence, and without a security door key can't be let out the front door. He has shown no escape tendencies and has never gotten out of the house or yard accidently. He is awkward getting into the car (even though he's big enough to easily jump in) and I lift his rear end in. :o

He's never even jumped the 1m high baby gate inside the house. So I don't think he'll attempt to escape the 6ft fences anytime soon. :laugh: I think dogs gain so much from some freedom to be outdoors. Mine loves a bit of sunbaking, chasing butterflies and doing the odd zoomie...

Edited by trinabean

I'm more worried about other animals getting in. However all three like indoor beds and the high prey princess Paige doesn't like the outdoors. Apparently the grass is prickly, the dirt is dirty, the wind is windy, the sun too hot, the air too cold, the dog beds outside uncomfortable, and she chooses to stay indoors with us if given the chance. Unless lizard hunting. But that only lasts five minutes before she huffs back inside.

We will be starting at Bonnies next week, so hopefully it will be great :)

Please ask on here for a more sensible training school ! I have never heard that puppies should not be allowed to free run in their own yard :(

Noise/shadows/learning to THINK and problem solve when alone , learning what's up/down .... all this is what helps make a confident and thinking dog, IMO.

We do padlock our gates and we also have a 6ft wooden fences. It doesn't mean someone can't get in our yard but they have to go to a fair bit of effort to do so and there is no way in hell anyone is getting one of our dogs over the fence.

I padlock my gates too and we are about to put a electronic gate at the front of the house, it will be hard for anyone to get in but not impossible. We just all do what we can.

Guest donatella

I am a neurotic owner and mine are locked inside where I know they are safe. They would bark if had access outside and I'm petrified of them getting out omr getting stolen. They prefer it inside and even when I'm home with the back door open they are inside anyway, they definitely don't lie in the sun with their coats in Qld.

I am a neurotic owner and mine are locked inside where I know they are safe. They would bark if had access outside and I'm petrified of them getting out omr getting stolen. They prefer it inside and even when I'm home with the back door open they are inside anyway, they definitely don't lie in the sun with their coats in Qld.

I have just moved house and the greys have a very small yard compared to our old place and the cat next door has decided it has every right to come into our yard *sigh* I lock them inside when I go out now (because I'd hate them to kill the cat) but always worry about a house fire and they can't escape.

Yes. He has to be desexed no later than 7 mths and they have to check his certificate or he cannot continue to go.

He is already 4 mths and I am not ready to desex him until at least 12 mths.

Was recommended by a friend and you dont have to desex early, like the other training one..

Sorry just to clarify,

The training school was telling you when you had to desex or you couldn't continue going???

What is your thoughts on it? reading and watching online..

I am very inexperienced with dog training, I have never done it before despite having dogs for 12 yrs in the UK and growing up with them. I have since learnt their value :) o I want the best I can and this is over a hour away.

Yes, his litter mate goes and her owners older dog goes too...

Do you know anything about it?

No - nothing except for watching the videos & reading online .

Edited by fluff1234

What is your thoughts on it? reading and watching online..

I'm not acquainted with obedience schools recently ..... so can't really comment .. the passing around of pups caught my interest ...

Is that the one someone here went to recently, and the only options were halti or check chain?