Chinese Cresteds And Tick Preventative

Stormy

Thanks aliwake. I didn't think of the enviro aspect regarding my guys swimming with them on. I am going to get a couple as we are going away camping soon up north so I will use them in conjunction with the Advantix :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...but is the reason you can't use a spot on treatment, because the dog has no hair follicles for it to adhere to :confused: I have a friend with cresties, & I will ask her tonight what she uses on hers :)

I asked her today & she said she doesn't use anything, just picks the ticks off. Reason being that her cresties don't have any hair for it to adhere to. Very easy to find the ticks & they are just little dogs.

Thanks aliwake. I didn't think of the enviro aspect regarding my guys swimming with them on. I am going to get a couple as we are going away camping soon up north so I will use them in conjunction with the Advantix :)

Id check with your vet, if not already, about combining two preventatives. Sometimes it can be a toxic mix and make the dog ill.

I asked her today & she said she doesn't use anything, just picks the ticks off. Reason being that her cresties don't have any hair for it to adhere to. Very easy to find the ticks & they are just little dogs.

Thanks Sheena, that's what we have been doing up till now too :)

We haven't used a tick preventative as yet as we have been able to find the ticks pretty easily on our dogs, but after having opened up a larger area of our yard for the dogs we've of course found more ticks.

Does anyone know how long after getting a tick will the dog show symptoms? I know it's relative to the size of dog and tick but is there a rough guide line?

Thanks Sheena, that's what we have been doing up till now too :)

We haven't used a tick preventative as yet as we have been able to find the ticks pretty easily on our dogs, but after having opened up a larger area of our yard for the dogs we've of course found more ticks.

Does anyone know how long after getting a tick will the dog show symptoms? I know it's relative to the size of dog and tick but is there a rough guide line?

It all depends on the individual dog, not really it's size. We had a maltese X living here when he was just a pup. He disappeared during a thunderstorm & came back 3 days later with at least 6 of the really bad guys on him. I picked them off him & kept an eye on him for a couple of days & he had absolutely no effect. At the age of 15 he still doesn't get affected. We also had a lab x BC living with us & she got one tick on her head..we got it straight away, but she went down like a pack of cards about 12 hours after. Never put anything on the tick to kill it, always just get your nail underneath & pull it off. I believe its a fallacy that you have to make sure you get all of its head out.

It all depends on the individual dog, not really it's size. We had a maltese X living here when he was just a pup. He disappeared during a thunderstorm & came back 3 days later with at least 6 of the really bad guys on him. I picked them off him & kept an eye on him for a couple of days & he had absolutely no effect. At the age of 15 he still doesn't get affected. We also had a lab x BC living with us & she got one tick on her head..we got it straight away, but she went down like a pack of cards about 12 hours after. Never put anything on the tick to kill it, always just get your nail underneath & pull it off. I believe its a fallacy that you have to make sure you get all of its head out.

That's interesting Sheena re the reactions of two very different sized breeds, and totally opposite of what you'd think (bigger animal taking more time to succumb).

We don't put anything on it, just remove it with either the tick remover or, if it's too small, just a pair of tweezers.

I came across this paper on paralysis ticks by the vet Mike Cannon, and found it really informative.

It might answer some questions.

Thanks jemappelle it's an interesting read.

It's also dispelled one thought I had - "Toxicity does not relate directly to tick size or duration of attachment".

We normally find the ticks the same day. Admittedly some of the tiny ones are hard to find until they actually attach and cause slight swelling (of the tick and/or the site), so possibly the next day.

So far Nemo hasn't shown any signs of tick poisoning (coughing, vomiting or being unstable on his feet), so I'm hopeful that we're removing them in an acceptable time frame.

It's making me wish I could drop a match and clear our block (of leaf litter, shrubs & grass and all!).

They might be just brown dog ticks or bush ticks. Paralysis ticks usually dig in quite deeply & are harder to pull out. They are whitish grey to look at & I thought (I may be wrong) but are a fair size when they first attach, unlike the bush tick which can be so tiny it is hard to see until it starts to feed & is easily pulled off. The bandicoot is the main host of paralysis ticks, so maybe if you could stop the bandicoots getting in it may help.

One of the last ticks we pulled off Nemo was definitely a paralysis tick, it was bigger than the others by a fair bit and a different shape (female by the looks of the Id photos) but yes, the others may well be bush / brown ticks (they were tiny).

We do get bandicoots and possums but unfortunately there's no way we can stop anything that size from getting into our yard, I'm still trying to work out how to stop the Bush / Brush Turkey from flying over the fence into the newly fenced portion as I'm not sure who's going to come off worse, the turkey or the dogs...

I would be very interested to know just how effective and how safe these new tick collars are, with dogs that swim every day & would have to have their collar removed for a few hours each day while they dry off.

No collar (including the new Scalibor collar) are suitable for dogs that swim often. The active ingredients in collars are disseminated throughout the coat and skin.

Water removes the actives from the coat and skin and leaves animals unprotected for 48 hours after reapplying the collar, the time it takes for the actives to re-disseminate throughout the coat.

(Unlike topically that disseminate and go through the skin to the various areas the different brands are designed to go ie advantix goes to the lipid layer of skin ( below the surface) and the lipid layer is water resistant. Frontline goes to the bloodstream along with residuals in the epidermis.

The current collars, ie preventic, kiltix and scalibor have lower efficacy than topicals.

Collars are approx preventic 74%

Kiltix 92%

Scalibor 81%

Topicals:

Advantix 98% fortnightly application

Frontline 62% fortnightly application

Frontline spray 87% sprayed externally once every 2-3 weeks

Permoxin 67% sprayed every 3-5 days

Advantix is the only one that repels as well as kills.

No product is 100% for paralysis ticks and DAILY SEARCHING IS STILL REQUIRED EVEN WITH PREVENTATIVES.

NONE OF THESE PRODUCTS ARE SUITED FOR CATS

Frontline may be used on cats with veterinary advice.

Hope this helps

The current collars, ie preventic, kiltix and scalibor have lower efficacy than topicals.

Collars are approx preventic 74%

Kiltix 92%

Scalibor 81%

Topicals:

Advantix 98% fortnightly application

Frontline 62% fortnightly application

Frontline spray 87% sprayed externally once every 2-3 weeks

Permoxin 67% sprayed every 3-5 days

Advantix is the only one that repels as well as kills.

This is good to know, thanks :)

Here's a link to customer reviews on it Customer reviews

That's worrying :(

I've been Googling and DOLing looking at options and Advantix seemed to come out as preferred in effectiveness but there too seems to be a lot of reaction to it, like the Scalibor collar.

I'm still trying to work out what's the lessor of the two evils, ticks or chemicals :confused: