Because I Am Out Of The Loop

persephone

What Do You Use for puppies ?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You use the following on PUPPIES under 6 mths ?

• harness
    • martingale/limited slip
    • head collar
    • chain collar
    • prong collar
    • slip collar , other than chain
    • flat collar
    • combination
  2. 2. Which is you preferred SINGLE tool ?

• harness
    • martingale/limited slip
    • head collar
    • chain collar
    • prong collar
    • slip collar, other than chain
    • flat collar
    • other - please describe.
  3. 3. Why do you prefer this tool ?

• I like the look
    • It seems comfortable
    • I am able to exert more control over pup's movements
    • My puppy needs the "xx" to stop bad behaviours
    • It was suggested me by a trainer
    • It was suggested me by a breeder
    • It was suggested me by a vet
    • My training school uses this
    • I think it is all that's needed
    • I think it is a humane way to walk my puppy
    • My puppy has special needs

Ohh Rangermad, today I just saw some really light chain leashes in Kmart if you are looking, most the ones I find are really heavy for a pup, but these ones were all different thicknesses :)

Beware that cheap chain leads do not have welded links and can come apart easily.

I never use harnesses and think flat collars are dangerous for walking as it is too easy for them to get out of them. Head collars are also easy for them to escape from. Martingales are all I ever walk them on and slip chains or combo leashes for show training only.

Flat collars up to around 3 months. Then martingales for training and outings.

Once over around 7-8 months correction chains if needed, otherwise still martingales.

Harnesses for tracking, retractables for emptying when away.

Always nude at home over 3 months.

I don't like flat collars. dogs slip out of them unless they are done up tight up behind the ears, then they slip down and get too tight on the neck. Martingales alleviate this issue.

I think the single most important tools to use with pups are your eyes for observation, your body for communication, and your brain for figuring out what is going on. If you're on the right wavelength, most pups will come along on the lead no matter what collar they have on. Beyond that, you choose your tools to suit the pup and the task, eg., you may want a long, light line for recall work, a prong collar, properly used, may work wonders on a pup who has already picked up the habit of pulling hard.

Guest hankodie

Just curious about how old a puppy has to be before you can use a martingale? Hank is doing well with his training and I am using a flat collar with little to no issue, however sometimes he gets distracted and likes to chase after leaves when we are walking :laugh: should I just keep the flat collar and continue practicing his loose leash walking? His training is going very well but all the options on which tool to use are confusing

You can use a martingale from the time the pup is out and about walking - since it doesn't close tighter than a normal flat collar. My preference, especially for youngsters, is a fabric one, but that's just me.

I would only be using a martingale when the pup is attached to me by a lead, or when I am closely supervising. That is, I wouldn't leave it on the pup when I wasn't there - risk of the loop catching on something.

You can use a martingale from the time the pup is out and about walking - since it doesn't close tighter than a normal flat collar. My preference, especially for youngsters, is a fabric one, but that's just me.

I would only be using a martingale when the pup is attached to me by a lead, or when I am closely supervising. That is, I wouldn't leave it on the pup when I wasn't there - risk of the loop catching on something.

Definitely, I'm too scared of normal collars catching on things so my boy is naked at home, but I'm going to invest in an embroided safety release collar for when we visit other people.