People With Fat Dogs

BlackJaq

I got told my kelpie was too skinny when she was working fit. Pissed me off. Told them she wouldn't last very long in the yards with extra weight on her and it was very unhealthy and potentially dangerous for them to be overweight. Followed by a glare. That shut them up for a while. :laugh:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'd come at it subtlely, from the perspective of husbandry and also for those dog owners who aspire to dog sports - to assist them to prepare.

"Crikey your dog is fat" will not win friends. SHOW people how to assess their dog's weight and SHOW them what a fit dog looks like - that's giving them skills they can take or leave.

I agree. Like most things, it's not the message that's the problem it's the delivery and if you want to make sure the message is received in the spirit in which it's intended, it has to be delivered properly. During agility class, people are often told to get some weight off their dogs and in that situation, I don't think I've ever seen anyone be offended.

Haven't properly read thread, will when not on phone.

Sometimes, whilst petting fat dogs I may say, nicely and directed at the dog, "Wow, you're on a good pasture. Are you a bit loved?"

It often opens discussions and we talk about diets and food in general. In a conversational way. As has been said, give pointers on how to check and ways to control diet while still giving treats.

So I'd come at it subtlely, from the perspective of husbandry and also for those dog owners who aspire to dog sports - to assist them to prepare.

"Crikey your dog is fat" will not win friends. SHOW people how to assess their dog's weight and SHOW them what a fit dog looks like - that's giving them skills they can take or leave.

I agree. Like most things, it's not the message that's the problem it's the delivery and if you want to make sure the message is received in the spirit in which it's intended, it has to be delivered properly. During agility class, people are often told to get some weight off their dogs and in that situation, I don't think I've ever seen anyone be offended.

Wait till you see someone fail intake because their dog is too fat - I've certainly seen it. Standard response "my vet's never said anything". Vets rarely, if ever do :(

First off, thank You Everyone for all the replies!

Definitely made me feel better to see that other people are bothered as well.

I think some people may have missed my Edit wherein I mentioned that I do not approach random strangers just to tell them their dog is fat. Obviously that would be more than rude, maybe a little creepy even! I am purely talking about dogs whose owners I know at least well enough to have regular conversations with.

Also, I definitely understand about medical issues and weight and having a genuine medical reason mentioned will shut me up right away in any case. Having owned a dog on steroids and also struggling to get my Weimaraner past a skinny stage I realize there are valid reasons to own an overweight or underweight dog and these are not the dogs that bother me.

The ones where the owner is either totally clueless or the ones who purposely fatten their dog up and think that's what love is re the ones that bother me.

I will definitely try to use the advice given here and maybe see if we can organize some kind of local obedience or puppy classes to go with the agility that our local KC is already offering now. I don't actually mind the idea of puppy classes, even if we only teach basics like sit and walking on a leash. Coming from a "professional" point of view might make it a little easier to give husbandry advice...

Oh and re vets not saying anything: I get told this a lot, too and it drives me nuts.

I try to explain that their vet is probably too afraid they will take offence and take their business to someone who does not confront them with the unfortunate truth... But I can't help but think that at least some dogs might not be so fat if a vet did drop a little hint here or there.... A lot of people feel justified in having a dog be hugely overweight "because the vet never said anything"... :(

"Probably carrying a bit too much condition" is a nice way of saying "fat". :) You can tell someone their dog could afford to lose some condition without offending them too greatly.. some may agree.

Folk don't always have a strategy for trimming their dogs down either. Exercise isn't the answer for super "conditioned" canines - halving the food and making up the other half with cooked pumpkin works

One sports vet I know said fattening a dog up is an easy way of managing them. Fat dogs require a lot less exercise.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My vet told me that Bunter had to definitely lose weight and we have been really trying. And I am not kidding myself: his routine and food regime are as I have stated it above.

It is not always cut and dried in terms of weight control. I have a sister and brother (twins) whose weights have hardly changed since their early twenties - they are tall and slim. I am short and dumpy and have a weight problem and always have had. Same parents, different result.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Oh and re vets not saying anything: I get told this a lot, too and it drives me nuts.

I try to explain that their vet is probably too afraid they will take offence and take their business to someone who does not confront them with the unfortunate truth... But I can't help but think that at least some dogs might not be so fat if a vet did drop a little hint here or there.... A lot of people feel justified in having a dog be hugely overweight "because the vet never said anything"... :(

My vet will tell you straight up and couldn't care less if you walked out the door and never came back, not known for tact the old MJ :)

The average Joe public think all greyhounds are too skinny and will tell me almost eveytime we are stopped.Truth is Stan could drop a kilo or two but Maddie is very ribby and fine and when standing next to Stan she looks like she's bordering on starvation, so I've been told, several times.

How about people who purposefully make their dogs overweight? My neighbours adopted a little mixed breed dog and I warned them that he would be able to squeeze out of their gate between the poles. They were adamant that he wouldn't and then he did it right in front of us. Their solution? Fatten him up until he can't fit through! :banghead:

I hate seeing fat dogs but would never say anything unless I knew the owners well, and then I would approach it in a very sensitive manner.

Edited by Mim

I learn to keep my mouth shut until someone ask. Thing is, you don't know the story behind their dogs nor their relationship.. some people are very sensitive on comments on their pets.

I struggle to keep Emmy slim and I also sometimes have trouble putting weight on Skeeter. I have been accused that Emmy is fat and in the same breathe I have been accused of starving Skeeter too.

If their dog is loved, well looked after and is happy (in their eyes because it's their pet).. who are we to judge on how they raise their dog, right? :p

If their dog is loved, well looked after and is happy (in their eyes because it's their pet).. who are we to judge on how they raise their dog, right? :p

I consider obesity to be an animal welfare issue. If you can help people to get their dogs in better shape, the dog will live longer with better quality of life.

I have never heard a person who's successfully slimmed down a pet wish it fat again. It's like they get a new dog.

I consider obesity to be an animal welfare issue. If you can help people to get their dogs in better shape, the dog will live longer with better quality of life.

I have never heard a person who's successfully slimmed down a pet wish it fat again. It's like they get a new dog.

I do, too. If your friends were parading around dog that is skin and bone, saying it was in much better condition than when they got it, would you just leave them to it, too?

I kinda have to wonder why a dog's weight is so personal a thing for people? People can hurt dogs (and children for that matter) by feeding them fat... I see why it gets annoying when your dog has a medical condition that makes it over or under weight and people comment on that, but surely explaining what is wrong with your dog will fix it? That is how I handled comments with the two formerly mentioned dogs...

I can't help but think that at least people care when they comment. Sure, some can't tell a healthy weight themselves but then again, some can..

I wouldn't go up to a random stranger and say it as you don't know if maybe they just adopted the dog or it has a medical issue etc.

But with my training clients, friends and family, I tell them because I want their dog to be healthy. Some people are in denial and refuse to admit there is an issue. There is probably only one client I can think of who really took what I said on board and put her dog on a healthier diet, less extras and gave him more exercise. He has slimmed right down, healthier coat and like a whole new dog. She is really happy with how he is now and glad she did something about it.

I had one lady last week who has some strange arguments on how to feed a dog and what a healthy weight was.

I get where you're coming from, but all I'm saying is that you have to pick your fights carefully with some people. Some people wont listen to what you say. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be help or listen... and the more you push, the more hard and difficult it will get. I have learned this the hard way.

I don't like fat dogs myself and when people ask me about their dog, I will tell them honestly but if they don't mention it, then I don't say anything or bring it up. Usually if they ask and bring it up, it's when they want help.

I get where you're coming from, but all I'm saying is that you have to pick your fights carefully with some people. Some people wont listen to what you say. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be help or listen... and the more you push, the more hard and difficult it will get. I have learned this the hard way.

I don't like fat dogs myself and when people ask me about their dog, I will tell them honestly but if they don't mention it, then I don't say anything or bring it up. Usually if they ask and bring it up, it's when they want help.

I hear you. There's no way I'd tell a stranger their dog was overweight. Or nag someone about it.

I was about to say shouldn't it be the vets place to mention that a dog is over weight, sounds like some vets don't do that. My vet does, she checks my dog, makes sure she has that hollow behind the ribs. She told me last time to keep her at the same weight as she is just right.

I don't tell anyone their dog is fat, thinking that was the job of the vet. I could have got that wrong. :confused:

The other night I had the two babies from my litter at a puppy class. The instructor picked one of my babies for a discussion on appropriate weight. The girl sitting next to me, with a very overweight lab puppy, immediately and sadly said "I know my boy is too fat". So what someone like her needs is not "your dog is fat" - she knows that already - but something like "how are you finding dealing with the famous lab food obsession? Have you tried X, Y or Z?"

I think you need to do it in as non-confrontational manner as possible. Avoid all words such as 'fat', 'overweight', 'obese'. Unfortunately in our culture at the moment, words referring to being over-weight come with emotional baggage.

Other than that though, I can't really think of the exact right words to use. Maybe try talking to the dog (when you are patting it) saying something like you can tell he/she's been using those big brown eyes to convince his humans he's starving.

I find it really odd when people have said that many vets don't comment on weight.

Maybe I am just lucky with my vet. Every dog is weighed when you are in the waiting room and the number is stored on computer. You can do this for free and anyone can come in and weigh their dog. The very first thing my vet would do, even if I went in for a nail clip would be to do a quick review of her weight history and a feel of the ribs. Over the 14 years we went there my dog was only ever slightly up or down. On these rare occasion the vet would get me to up or down the food intake accordingly. It beggars belief that all vets don't take the same care with their clients when obesity is probably the number one cause of many common life-shortening conditions.

As far as me as a dog enthusiast...I would never dream telling a person - good friend, acquaintance or otherwise, that their human child is fat and carries a much higher chance of serious health problems, likewise I wouldn't offer any unasked for comment on their dogs weight.