Vicious Dog Attack Breaks Woman's Arm

Yonjuro

Vicious dog attack breaks woman's arm

Yolanda Zaw, The West Australian

October 12, 2013, 12:17 pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/19363196/vicious-dog-attack-breaks-womans-arm/

Demi Woodcock with a photo of Oscar. Picture: Steve Ferrier/The West Australian

A 21-year-old woman has described the excruciating pain after a vicious dog ripped off its leash and attacked her as she jogged with her puppy.

Demi Woodcock has a broken arm and may need surgery for torn tendons in her wrist after she was set upon during a morning run in Kelmscott.

Ms Woodcock, who is in St John of God Hospital in Murdoch, urged the community to help track down the dog.

She said its owner did not offer her help after the attack and disappeared without leaving any details.

This latest incident is one of hundreds of dog attacks reported to Perth councils, new statistics reveal.

Ms Woodcock was jogging with her six-month-old Maltese pup Oscar near Good Shepherd Primary School about 6am on Thursday.

"I'd noticed the dog was acting aggressively, so we crossed the road," she said.

"All of a sudden I saw it running towards Oscar. I immediately scooped him up and that's when it latched on to my arm.

"As I fought with it, the weight of it fractured my arm. It didn't let go until the owner pulled it off."

Ms Woodcock said the dog tore its leash and the owner was forced to hold it down to restrain it. I was outside a school and it would have been much worse if it attacked a child," she said.

The owner is described as a tall Caucasian woman of athletic build and in her 20s.

Across the metropolitan area council statistics show the prevalence of dog attacks continues to be a problem.

The City of Swan has dealt with 283 reported dog attacks this year, 125 involving a person. The council said the definition of an attack ranged from threatening behaviour to significant injury.

The City of Gosnells had 157 reports of dog attacks this year and the Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale recorded 31, two involving people.

The City of Fremantle had 35 reported dog attacks this year, including 13 involving people and the City of Joondalup recorded 26 attacks in which a person was injured.

The Town of Cambridge had 17 reports, nine involving people and the Town of Bassendean had 17 reported incidents including six attacks on people.

In the 2012-13 financial year, the City of Vincent recorded 25 attacks on people and the City of Nedlands reported 10.

The Town of East Fremantle had three dog attacks, one involving a person and the Town of Mosman Park received four reports, all dog-on-dog.

That's horrifying. The attacking dog really meant business. The poor woman saved her little dog, but suffered an horrendous injury in doing so.

The other woman's behaviour was unspeakable. How could she go off with no offer of help! Here's hoping she can be tracked down..

Edited by mita

Far out that's a strong dog. Poor woman and her little malt. :( You'd never be the same again.

But how are they going to find the dog? :confused: Basically look for a tall white woman with a broken dog lead.... I wish these articles had a police sketch of the dogs instead of a stock photo or nothing at all.

Far out that's a strong dog. Poor woman and her little malt. :( You'd never be the same again.

But how are they going to find the dog? :confused: Basically look for a tall white woman with a broken dog lead.... I wish these articles had a police sketch of the dogs instead of a stock photo or nothing at all.

She's going to need quite a bit of therapy, just to be able to leave the house with her Maltese again, in my opinion and speaking from personal experience.

Unless the police have a list of people with problem dogs who have been reported in the past or someone knows the tall white woman, they probably won't find her. A rough idea of what the dog looked like would help.

My heart goes out to this lady and her dog. Speaking from personal experience - no, you (and your dog) are never the same again, but thankfully for us it was more the psychological trauma rather than physical damage, so she had it far worse than we did.

Yes, it would have helped if they'd included at least some sort of description of the dog - I realise the poor woman was probably so traumatised by the attack and trying to protect herself and her dog that she probably didn't take in a lot of detail at the time, but at least the colour and approximate size of the dog and anything else she could recall. It's essential that they find the dog and the owner, but it's going to be almost impossible with so little info provided.

Edited by spikey

Have just seen the news report on Channel 10 - they said it was a dog "similar to this" and showed a photo of what looked like a brindle Staffy, so hopefully someone in the local area might be able to identify the owner and the dog.

Have just seen the news report on Channel 10 - they said it was a dog "similar to this" and showed a photo of what looked like a brindle Staffy, so hopefully someone in the local area might be able to identify the owner and the dog.

Glad they have a description of the dog now, fingers crossed that someone knows the owner, she really needs to get caught for what she did. Not because the leash snapped on her dog but because she left an injured person. :(

Glad they have a description of the dog now, fingers crossed that someone knows the owner, she really needs to get caught for what she did. Not because the leash snapped on her dog but because she left an injured person. :(

Exactly. What a pathetic coward she is - I wonder if she can be charged for failing to render assistance or something similar? Although I think that might only apply for motor vehicle crashes/hit-and-runs/etc. .

Exactly. What a pathetic coward she is - I wonder if she can be charged for failing to render assistance or something similar? Although I think that might only apply for motor vehicle crashes/hit-and-runs/etc. .

I'm not sure of the legal implications, but there will be something she can be charged with as it was her dog that caused the injury. You're right it's a cowardly act she committed.

I'm not sure of the legal implications, but there will be something she can be charged with as it was her dog that caused the injury. You're right it's a cowardly act she committed.

Yes, there are variations in penalties from council to council here in Perth regarding dog attacks, I'm not sure what the City of Armadale's laws are, but I was hoping she could also somehow be charged for not assisting the injured woman. Even if she had to remove the dog from the scene, she should have then gone back to give assistance, or if that wasn't possible, then identify herself to rangers or the police and have the guts to admit that it was her dog. Too much to hope for, I guess ...

Edited by spikey

Yes, there are variations in penalties from council to council here in Perth regarding dog attacks, I'm not sure what the City of Armadale's laws are, but I was hoping she could also somehow be charged for not assisting the injured woman. Even if she had to remove the dog from the scene, she should have then gone back to give assistance, or if that wasn't possible, then identify herself to rangers or the police and have the guts to admit that it was her dog. Too much to hope for, I guess ...

I just read that leaving the scene where someone is injured, where you are at fault is an indictable offense, that can attract jail time, I'm sure this person is just about turning inside out with fright right now and guilt hopefully. Yes she should have secured the dog, rung an ambulance and returned to the injured woman. Perhaps she'll contact the police and own up to it, that would be the right thing to do.