Victorian Gundog Club Training Day

This is a fantastic opportunity for Victorian gundog owners to try their hand at retrieving, whether you are training for RATG or retrieving trialling or even if you have absolutely no idea!

If you are a raw beginner please let us know (see email address below for RSVP) so we can organise the appropriate trainers. The last training session had 2 novice groups that rotated between land and water retrieves plus a more advanced group for dogs approaching Restricted standard. I had a great time and there were lots of positive reports from the novice groups aswell. RSVP is essential as the experienced retrieving people volunteer their time and it's good to ensure there are sufficient trainers for the numbers that turn up.

The VGC will hold its 4th retriever training day for all gundog breeds on Sunday 24th November at St Anne's Winery, Myrniong commencing 9.00am.

This will be a follow on from our previous training days. It will provide people with the opportunity to gain further skills to assist in their dog's training through summer ready for the 2014 trialing season.

To enable us to organise appropriate trainers, please confirm your attendance with Prue: [email protected]

VGC Members: free

Non-members: $10 payable on the day.

EmampZiggy083-2_zpsedfe7023.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh we're interested! What sort of training pre-requisites would be required? Gus is keen but certainly a novice. Haha.

Raw beginners are absolutely welcome! Just let Prue know when you RSVP via the email address above :)

Done and done. I guess if nothing else he's a clean slate. He would just love it though! He's starting to calm down and actually pay attention to me at the park rather than tear around with other dogs like a mad thing, so I guess now would be the time!

Thanks for that!

Might see you there!

Heh heh...I'm not sure you'll get away with disguising her as a Golden Retriever though :laugh:

*trawls through spotlight for long, golden fake fur*

do they make hair extensions for dogs?

I'll just call her my super rare, short coat, golden Argbargestani retriever :rofl:

SD no fair I haven't got my gundog puppy yet :(

I'm sure you would be welcome to come anyway - we could get you properly hooked and give you an idea about the things you need to look for in your pup. Maybe even have a play with a dog that knows what they're doing :D

If you do want to go it's the other side of town but, provided I drive up that morning rather than the night before, I will have a spare seat in my car :provoke:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Nekhbet, good luck with that fancy dress costume X-)

So are spectators welcome? I'd love to learn some more about retrieving but my dog is only 7 mo.

You would be welcome to bring your youngster - we start training our pups quite young! They don't need to do a lot of work on the day :)

You can always bring a long line if your pup doesn't have a great recall and I will bring a couple also.

I might be taking the raw beginners for their session, depending on numbers.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Would a Poodle be welcome? She has a great recall and loves to carry things in her mouth.

ETA Just looked at the breed list on the website and Poos aren't on it, so I guess not.

Edited by *kirty*

Would a Poodle be welcome? She has a great recall and loves to carry things in her mouth.

kirty I would love to say yes but I think it is restricted to gundogs only as only Group 3 dogs are allowed to participate in trials. Sorry! Poodles are a bit like Dallies in that respect - lumped into Group 7 with all the other "don't know what to do with" breeds.

Its silly because Poodles were bred for hunting/retrieving! Oh well. :)

Yes I know! And Dallies were used the same apparently.

In the US the only dogs that can compete in retrieving type trials are the official "retrievers" so my Springer could only do Spaniel trials. I think Poodles can do hunt tests over there though?