Re-homing A Dog (ex-edd Dog)

Brandiandwe

I'm not putting this in the rescue section because it's not really a rescue situation, but I've just been forwarded information on a dog who is retiring from active duty and who would love a home for Christmas. Boof is a 4-5 year old Staffy cross, fairly small who has been working hard as an EDD (explosive detection dog) and is now ready to move onto the next part of his life. He's friendly, well trained and obedient and person and dog friendly. He's also described as an active bundle of energy so really good for an active family with teenagers or an active couple to run with him and play ball. All of the dogs who have gone through this training tend to be ball oriented (that's the reward used for detecting something - tennis balls appear out of nowhere!).

Boof is located in Sydney and sadly will be returned to the RSPCA if he doesn't get a home. I've informed DH that he won't be going to the RSPCA (too many staffy-esque dogs there already)and I feel that given he's served his country, he deserves better than that :mad .

So does anyone know of anyone who might be interested in this dog? I would love to take him but bitter experience has shown me that the playing style of my greyhounds and a Staffy are probably not going to gel very well, but I'd be happy to help out with fostering or transport.

I've got all the contact details etc so if you're interested, get in touch and spread the word.

I I've informed DH that he won't be going to the RSPCA (too many staffy-esque dogs there already)and I feel that given he's served his country, he deserves better than that :mad .

Good on you! Just a suggestion from left-field. If he's trained & experienced in explosives detection, would the police be interested in him? Maybe whoever's responsible for rehoming him, might contact the Police Service Dog Squad.

Also include interstate. The Q'ld Police Service has a big security job on their hands with a hugely important gathering of international leaders coming up soon. Couple years back Qld Police took a young NSW GSD that came up on the DOL Rescue Forum.

I don't think so. He's young still, so probably not a superstar. I suspect they think he's going to do well as a pet but not quite cut out for on-going service. So hopefully someone here will get a lovely, well-trained obedient guy. I will suggest I though!

I always thought it was fantastic that dogs for these types of jobs were sourced from shelters. How disappointing to think that they are just handed back when no longer useful. Surely they are as deserving of a forever home as any pet dog.

all the working dogs i new where rehomed by the employees & often went in house with families .

Sounds an odd scenario even the ones that didn't make the grade where rehomed by the employees & they often had waiting list sas the dogs are trained

I know that the call is going out through employee networks (DH is defence) but he was concerned and asked if there was more that could be done. I'm on my IPad now but will grab the email and photo later when I get to the computer. I know that they legitimately do place many dogs within the family, so to speak, but it depends on how many dogs there are, when they come out of the system, wht the posting cycle is like and who's around vs on deployment.

Yes. As far as I know he is. As I posted above, he's being advertised through defence networks so hopefully someone will step up. The majority of the dogs do get reformed this way. If not, hubby and I can provide a temporary home but he won't be a great mix with our greys. I'm also happy to try to contact them and meet him in person to get more info. And I have contact details if anyone would like them.