2 Topics In 1 Breed Recognition And Registries

Angeluca

A lot of the general public that I talk to see the Australasian Bosdog as a true breed, but most don't know about the name change yet :)

Same with other breeds not recognised by the ANKC for example the Koolie and Bull Arab. Most people (well rurally at least), will see and know what these dogs are. For some reason I feel like I'm missing another really obvious example...

Most people think my Pedigreed Aussie shepherd is a Koolie cross laugh.gif

Not sure how having danes or weims in them impacts the discussion, the many breeds in them hasn't been criticized, If there are people out there with 5 + generations which registry are they on if you know of them personally, I still intent on calling the 2 I know about for more information to be better educated.

The problem with the bullarab is it is a known crossbreed publicly more so than any oodle.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not know which register they are on, I know they are part of one.

Perhaps it's the difference in states but most pig hunters I know (quite a lot) call their Bull Arab crosses exactly that, or just plain Pig Dogs.

Just wondering but would you question anyone that had a Kelpie in the working register and called it Purebred?

I'd personally love to see The 'Australian Bulldog' as a fully recognized breed name, not the other name which will happen in due time.

I just don't like itembarrass.giflaugh.gif.

Bulldogs are meant to be national identities any way, British, French, Spanish etc. But Cao de Bou sounds cool enough for the Spanish one since it's Catalan for Bulldog anyhow.

I love em, but I personally wouldn't call them Bosdogs. That might be what they are on paper, but all and sundry would hear me call them by the name featuring national pride.

I've actually been in contact with the people who originally bred my dog and the people who told me what her parents were were wrong. According to her breeders she is a bullarab and I have to say she fits the breed/type to a 'T'. As far as I'm concerned if a group of dogs are bred and bred to resemble a certain type and all progeny resemble that certain type over and over and then that certain group of dogs resembling that type are given a name then they are a breed, whether recognised or not. I'm not saying I support the breeding of these 'types/breeds' but just saying that if generation after generation look the same, act the same etc then it's fair to say they have become a certain breed.

A lot of the general public that I talk to see the Australasian Bosdog as a true breed, but most don't know about the name change yet :)

Same with other breeds not recognised by the ANKC for example the Koolie and Bull Arab. Most people (well rurally at least), will see and know what these dogs are. For some reason I feel like I'm missing another really obvious example...

Mini Foxy

The Australian Cobberdog - and the reason we made them change their name was because keeping it as the Australian Labradoodle confused the public as first cross lab x poodles are still called this and those who breed them never want to do multi generations and never want to be involved in breed development - it legitimises cross breeding. Same with the Australasian Bosdog it immediately recognises it as a breed in development and not just a bunch of people doing first crosses and cashing in on "hybrids"

it takes a while for the name changes to take and it's why there is usually a 3 year transition period as it comes around to being used to describe the breed.

I'd personally love to see The 'Australian Bulldog' as a fully recognized breed name, not the other name which will happen in due time.

I just don't like itembarrass.giflaugh.gif.

Bulldogs are meant to be national identities any way, British, French, Spanish etc. But Cao de Bou sounds cool enough for the Spanish one since it's Catalan for Bulldog anyhow.

I love em, but I personally wouldn't call them Bosdogs. That might be what they are on paper, but all and sundry would hear me call them by the name featuring national pride.

I still refer to them as Australian Bulldogs too but I also quickly explain the Bosdog name in case they do some google searching later on then they can see that there are different registries. Most people have no idea that there can be different types and groups so its a good way of showing them and explaining why its good to research not just breeds and breeders but also the groups/registries they belong to.

Mini Foxy

The Australian Cobberdog - and the reason we made them change their name was because keeping it as the Australian Labradoodle confused the public as first cross lab x poodles are still called this and those who breed them never want to do multi generations and never want to be involved in breed development - it legitimises cross breeding. Same with the Australasian Bosdog it immediately recognises it as a breed in development and not just a bunch of people doing first crosses and cashing in on "hybrids"

it takes a while for the name changes to take and it's why there is usually a 3 year transition period as it comes around to being used to describe the breed.

I think I remember someone on DOL previously talking about another one, Murray River Retriever I think?

Mini Foxy

I think I remember someone on DOL previously talking about another one, Murray River Retriever I think?

I met one yesterday! Beautiful dog!

Yep been around for ever too.

Yep, and they have even had DNA studies done on them to determine that they are in fact a breed. They form a definite "cluster" (sorry, no idea of the correct terms fo the charts I have seen) that is quite separate to other gun dog breeds when comparing DNA, but as similar to each other within the breed group as other recognised breeds.

Mini Foxy

I think it's the best idea ever, to distance themselves from those who BYB those types, The bullarab I think is is the exact same boat as any oodle, few want to do it properly and most just want to make money or latch on to an ego of having a purebred with out generations recorded or health testing done.

So do the serious labradoodle/cobberdog breeders though, but they are no different in that regard to staffy breeders for example in that there are squillions of them around being backyard bred and only a limited number who are doing it properly.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

So do the serious labradoodle/cobberdog breeders though, but they are no different in that regard to staffy breeders for example in that there are squillions of them around being backyard bred and only a limited number who are doing it properly.

Same goes for kelpies, labradors, goldens, jack russells, border collies, the list goes on

I think what it comes down to is whether the bull arab breeders are actually making efforts to develop a proper standard, it's all well and good to have a registry but if the 'type' of the dogs being registered is all over the place and there isn't a proper common goal other than working ability then they aren't going to make any progress towards gaining recognition through someone like the ANKC

I think what it comes down to is whether the bull arab breeders are actually making efforts to develop a proper standard, it's all well and good to have a registry but if the 'type' of the dogs being registered is all over the place and there isn't a proper common goal other than working ability then they aren't going to make any progress towards gaining recognition through someone like the ANKC

This is the registry, you can contact them directly and ask but it looks as though they are,

http://australianbullarab.com/Registration.html

The bull arab breeders have a registry of their own though

They have multiple, I have found 2

that one and http://www.bullarab.com.au/

which comes back to the question.

How does someone determine a registry legitimate?

And for example the 2 Bullarab registries both claim to want ANKC recognition. One DNA tests and the other doesn't and a few differences in standard and breeding policies. Obviously there are politics involved otherwise why would they not just be one as they both seem to want the same thing?.

Which one is the proper one if any?

What happens to the other one if one is accepted into the ANKC, ????

Edited by Angeluca