Dog Grooming Salon Ohs Laws?

HugUrPup

I was doing a few shifts in a grooming salon and today I was fired after mentioning that my back was sore :coffee:

Anyway I only worked there 3 days and the first thing I noticed was that the dogs weren't tethered or harnessed to the tables and the groomers often walked away from the tables leaving the dogs just standing there :crazy:

When I did my certificates in professional grooming it was THE biggest no-no.. we couldn't even turn out back or look away and they were always tied up.

They did have harnesses there, but nowhere to hang them so they weren't usable.

Today when I was grooming a rather hefty dog, it jumped off the table while I was grooming a foot and I couldn't catch it in time and it flipped and landed on it's back. Luckily there was no injury to the dog.. I followed it to the back room and watched carefully for a limp or any signs of pain and there didn't seem to be any.

My back however was a different story. I jarred it when trying to grab the 20kg dog mid fall.

This wouldn't have happened had a harness or some type of tethering been used.

Another thing that bothered me was that there was only 1 hydraulic table, so when that was in use, I was having to pick up many over fed hefty dogs onto tables also causing back strain.

Would these things be picked up on a workplace safety check? Are there any actual rules in regards to these things?

TIA

Edited by HugUrPup

There are no laws regarding harnessing or restraining a dog while grooming, it is a groomers choice. I never tether a dog to work on it and hate seeing anyone else do it. Might look safer but I would rather risk them jumping and having a chance to land correctly than jumping and hanging.

Never should a dog be left on a table for any reason but every groomers I have worked in did it. Good reason I have been working alone for the past 13 years.

With lifting I think it's anything over 15kgs requires two people. It is not uncommon in a grooming salon to have to lift 25kg+ dogs.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I also never tether. I'd rather a dog break a leg from falling, than break their neck from a tether. I've never had a dog fall/jump though. You use your body to block weak spots where they could jump and get very good at reading and feeling body language from them. I find tethering, harnesses etc a hindrance and more dangerous IMO.

I lift dogs on to my table and in the bath. My back is shot but that is just par for the course with this job and something you just need to accept.

I would just let it go TBH. It sounds like they could be more concerned with your handling rather than your back. I let someone go once for hurting a dog, there were other reasons as well, but hurting the dog was the tip of the iceberg. I know the dog jumping off in your case was an accident but it shouldn't have happened. I hope they informed the owner. The dog in my situation was grabbed by its outer legs and forcibly swung over on to his side. He was an elderly Golden Retriever. I was horrified as the poor dog cracked his head on the concrete. There was no reason to have this old dog lying on his side, he would have also obliged and just laid down if asked nicely! I had groomed him for years standing up. When I explained to her that's not how it's done she got mouthy - she'd only been grooming a year or so but 'knew everything' - so I had no more work for her. The worst was having to tell the owner as it was a hard thud and I was worried about any after affects :( Thankfully they were understanding, the dog was okay and I continued to groom him personally and found a better employee.

Ive gone off on a tangent, Im not saying you were rough or anything but employers have to be so paranoid about the dogs in their care, that I have to be honest and say if that happened here I too, would be doubtful about keeping you on as you have been grooming for a while now?

Good reason I have been working alone for the past 13 years.

Same here, I agree. With the exception of one DOL groomer, I found the best groomers were my friends who had had no experience at all - that way they were started fresh and only did things 'my way'. Other groomers Ive employed were frightening, bad habits etc. Much prefer working on my own now.

Good reason I have been working alone for the past 13 years.

I have been grooming professionally for 3 years, I worked a year in a salon, and then I left. I couldn't stand the way they handled the dogs there..

They used choke chains to tether them too, and that terrified me.

I have been grooming from home since. I am a year 12 student, so i just do a few dogs each weekend, and personally don't use a tether unless absolutely necessary. Probably a 1 in 100 type thing.

Probably are rules but what goes on behind closed doors is another story.

Probably scared of you putting in a work cover claim re your back.

Its better not to try & catch a falling dog unless its quite small & even then it can end worse. More chance of a good landing if the dog has aimed for it than a blocked one.

Tied up is not good unless it has to be used for restraint purposes, as in grooming a really difficult dog. Too much potential for accidents.

If this is to be your continued job you are going to see lots of things that bother you.

Self employed is the way to go but you do learn various styling & handling tricks & techniques from working with others initially.

Some you learn that are brilliant & others you would never use & want to smack the person.

I can't believe a groomer would rather risk a dog jumping or falling off a table than use a tether!

If used correctly tethers will never harm a dog and will keep them safe from falling or jumping while you are busy concentrating on grooming them, possibly with sharp tools in your hand.

I only use the Groomers Helper tether as a dog cannot back off the table, jump off the table or even fall off the table on this tether. The tether has fast release clips and is fabric which can be cut with scissors in an emergency. The design actually calms dogs without me having to constantly reposition or manhandle the dog, so I can go about the grooming safely & confidently knowing there is no way that dog can land on my floor. It is only ever good for the dog.

I hate seeing untetherd dogs who are then at risk of jumping or falling which may result in death, broken limbs, smashed teeth, bitten tongues or teeth through tongues & lips, smashed jaws, concussions, and sprains and bruises and even just a scared dog. Not all injuries are physical.

Of course what is never ever acceptable is leaving a dog outside your line of sight on a table tethered or not.

eta.... and yes I have groomed on my own for 27 yrs because what I have witnessed 'behind closed doors' has shocked me too. My whole salon is set up so owners can see the whole set up, and I finish my dogs right up front where anyone can see what I am doing & how I am handling the dogs. I have nothing to hide.

Edited by skyefool

eta.... and yes I have groomed on my own for 27 yrs because what I have witnessed 'behind closed doors' has shocked me too. My whole salon is set up so owners can see the whole set up, and I finish my dogs right up front where anyone can see what I am doing & how I am handling the dogs. I have nothing to hide.

Now that would be a good law to have in place. All salons to be in open view :thumbsup:

I am recommending you :)

I use a tether on most dogs I groom, but I often take it off at some point and I don't always put it back on if they're calm and happy to stand for me.

I've been lucky as the 2 salons I've worked in have been great with the way they handle the dogs and were good places to work, just not enough money to be made when you're grooming for someone else. I now groom from home on the weekends and I have a nice group of regular clients to keep me busy enough.

Now that would be a good law to have in place. All salons to be in open view :thumbsup:

I am recommending you :)

lol Christina! You know I groom 'Mignon' yes??

And while I sort of agree that salons should be open to view, considerations must also be made for the type of salon it is (in my case a one woman show, in others busy multiple groomer salons) because designs should always take into account what is best for all of the dogs in the salon. Some open view designs could actually make for a more dangerous grooming environment for the dog.

I would never use a check chain to tether :eek:

The dog that fell was my very first that has done so. It shocked the hell out of me. He was a very difficult groom and I think he was a once a year wash type dog, with his fur sister there getting done also, so very distracted.

It all happened so fast. I found when I put his collar on him and lead, even without tying it, he was much calmer, but once it came off he was all over the place.

Anyway, I sent an email to the boss telling him my concerns and recommended another hydraulic table and to make sure dogs aren't left alone standing on tables.

When I get called away I either bring the dog in arms or if it's a large dog, I take it off the table and put it in a crate or let it have a walk around the enclosed area. More work for the back, but peace of mind.

I have also heard the no sit harnesses are great for when you are working on your own :thumbsup: I have to order one for my own business.

I was just working in the salon part time for more experience as I am only a year into it all. I have my own dog wash trailer.

Edited by HugUrPup

While there aren't rules dictating how dogs are to be handled and restrained (other that the usual appropriate dog care laws) any business comes under OH&S for the workers.

We actually shouldn't be lifting heavy dogs, or any heavy product over 20kgs without appropriate gear. An hydraulic table would be necessary for large dogs, if you're operating legally.

We should all be using proper safety gear, such as facemasks, safety goggles and ear muffs. Protective clothing and solid footwear (never, ever groom in sandals or thongs!), rings and necklaces should be removed or secured. The same rules apply for anyone working with sharp tools or mechanical tools.

I wonder if insurance would pay out if OH&S rules weren't followed before an injury?

While there aren't rules dictating how dogs are to be handled and restrained (other that the usual appropriate dog care laws) any business comes under OH&S for the workers.

We actually shouldn't be lifting heavy dogs, or any heavy product over 20kgs without appropriate gear. An hydraulic table would be necessary for large dogs, if you're operating legally.

We should all be using proper safety gear, such as facemasks, safety goggles and ear muffs. Protective clothing and solid footwear (never, ever groom in sandals or thongs!), rings and necklaces should be removed or secured. The same rules apply for anyone working with sharp tools or mechanical tools.

I wonder if insurance would pay out if OH&S rules weren't followed before an injury?

An employee is covered under Workcover insurance. No genuine claim is rejected.

Workcover may take the employer/business to court if they believe that the employer didn't provide a safe workplace or implement safe work practices such as manual handling training and equipment.

No tethering here & never will .Good handling of dogs is easy ,you either have it or you don't restraining dogs is a convenience for groomers that has now suddenly been used as a safety option .

Dogs still panic when using a grooming arm & even with a safety collar injuries can happen & any groomer is aware of this.

As for being open to all to view this is one area i would have red flags for safety because people watching,talking around dogs can be dangerous especially people who bring children & the obvious when the dogs get excited to see there owners.

Any person who has had a dog in a grooming harness that sees there owners will have also seen it go crazy whilst restrained Yes i have seen dogs panic.

I would never convince myself that those tools offer great safety .

AS for lifting i guess each to there own there .again i have seen dogs panic on hydraulic tables whilst they go up.

I use varying heights & my own dogs weigh over 36 Kg so its all about the posture & support .

Back issues is one of the biggest reasons groomers quit so it comes down to wht works for people & how to manage