How To Rehome?

I have had a dog in care for 6 months. I want him gone. Any suggestions? I have tried:

-Listed him on PetRescue with nice photos, videos and nice bio

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/233368

-Listed him on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/happy-valley/dogs-puppies/bandit-lovable-big-crossbreed-looking-for-a-home-of-his-own/1029768565

-Listed him on Perfect Pet Finder and another classified site

-Advertised him in the popular local paper for 4 days (a Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday)

-Taken more pictures of him with children to try to 'soften his appearance'

-Made a little graphic for Facebook and had is shared far and wide (including amongst friends and on other rescue groups pages, and on gym pages)

-Promoted said little graphic on Facebook where it got shared a bit further - end total is 8000+ people seeing his little ad

-Rotated his main picture every week on PetRescue, just in case people are flicking past the last picture for some reason

-Taken him for walks wearing an 'Adopt Me' harness

I am just about to promote him on Facebook again, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to spend my money.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Dog rescue may be able to list him for you. Also don't be afraid of listing him on buy swap and sells, that's how I rehomed one of our long time residents and she is very happy.

Mina said she'd list him but never did (unless I missed it).

Can you link me some good buy-sell-swaps on Facebook? I'm on some but feel like I'm not that savvy. :/

Big Dog rescue may be able to list him for you. Also don't be afraid of listing him on buy swap and sells, that's how I rehomed one of our long time residents and she is very happy.

Mina said she'd list him but never did (unless I missed it).

Can you link me some good buy-sell-swaps on Facebook? I'm on some but feel like I'm not that savvy. :/

Also Mina is pretty distracted with moving right now so maybe shoot her off a reminder email as I wouldn't be surprised if she's just forgotten.

Edited by mixeduppup

Thanks - I have listed Bandit on both of those pages now.

It was in June that I messaged/email Mina with details for Bandit. As far as I can see, she did nothing with them - a shame as there is 10,000 likers of BDR on Facebook. I could do with some of those views.

Edited by Leema

Thanks - I have listed Bandit on both of those pages now.

It was in June that I messaged/email Mina with details for Bandit. As far as I can see, she did nothing with them - a shame as there is 10,000 likers of BDR on Facebook. I could do with some of those views.

Try again, June is when she first started trying to buy the house, she has probably just forgotten.

Is a name change possible? Bandits are badies - I love the name but given the dog is a brindle staffy type, changing stereotypes might help people see through that.

Yes to this suggestion... & the reason.

Just for the sake of comparison....names like 'Ben' or 'Barry' or 'Bert' give a home-friendly meaning. Or even go for 'distinguished', in the other direction, like 'Bernard' (Bernie, for short). I'm sure there'd be more possibilities.

Leema, any decision about name change rests entirely with you.... so I'm not telling you what to do. Bandi would be an option.

Our pet tibbies were retired from registered breeders & came with call names we changed. Ages ranged from 3 years to 8 years. They soon responded to a new name... & nicknames. Chance became Gracie, Sunny became Angel. Our sheltie that came as an adult...was Tiffany & became Shelley.

BTW, the breeders didn't mind One breeder was attached to an 8 yr old's call name Zena. But she looked nothing like a Warrior Princess to us.... so we asked the would she mind NinaZena. Thought it was fine. BTW NinaZena gets called NZ often, for short.

Edited by mita

I am not going to be able to call him a new name after 6 months of calling him 'Bandit'/'Bandi''.

For a long time, his profile read, "Hi, my name is Bandit, but the only thing I'm guilty of stealing is hearts". I've changed it as I have changed everything else on his profile/pictures/etc numerous times in the hope of getting the right person to look at him.

Not only has Bandit been in care for 6 months, but he has had no meets in those 6 months, which is all the worse.

I am not going to be able to call him a new name after 6 months of calling him 'Bandit'/'Bandi''.

No one, least of all me, is telling you that you have to change his name. It was a suggestion, based on some reasons. You have your own reasons for not doing so.

I would dress him up in something funny and take a pic, the one you see first shot doesn't make you want to look further.

He is the hardest to rehome, male ,big ,brindle, so you need to be inventive with drawing people in, get some odd pics of him doing things,and redo his profile , way too long atm.

I would change his name too, brandy? depends how keen you are for him to go, chances are the new owners will change it anyway.