How To Rehome?

I rotate the first picture on PetRescue on a weekly basis, hoping that one of them 'will make you look further'.

What is 'something funny' that I can dress him up in?

I have never had a dog who had their name surrendered get renamed on adoption. Any dog that I have chosen a name for/changed the name of has been renamed (except for 3 :p).

I have never had a comment that my adoption profiles were 'too long', but I am willing to accept that criticism. Should I make a more dot pointed list like:

Children: Yes

Cats: No

Poultry: No

Other Dogs: Yes

??

To me these profiles seem impersonal, especially for a dog with so much personality like Bandi'. But obviously I'm doing something wrong.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leema one of my foster carers has made a second job out of finding a new home for Digby. His brochure is up in the surgical ward break rooms in all the local hospitals (her job is to sell medical equipment). Just about every cafe in her area has a brochure, she visits local shopping strips and gets permission to put up his poster, he comes to events, etc.

We have had enquiries due to the "special horror story" attached to him but the right home hasn't been located either. The only inquiries I've had from PetRescue this year have been linked to a dog's profile but were people wanting to get in touch with me re surrender or advice, none wanted to adopt.

Some of our bigger petstores like PetBarn, PetStock and CityFarmers will have invitation days where smaller rescues are invited in just to loiter in store with a dog or two which gives members of the public to meet the dog and get past the "look".

eta. I had a girl called Christina Ballerina, she was an original style shar pei (no wrinkles) who was absolutely gorgeous in looks and personality. It took nearly two years to find her a home. She is now called Rina, lives in the UK and travels Europe with her family.

Edited by Ams

Instead of referring to him as a "crossbreed" - which he undoubtedly is - are you able to identify him with some particular breed and refer to him as an ....cross? I just think people may connect more with him. I would also lead with the picture of him shaking hands - I think that is his most appealing shot. Just a few suggestions.....

The only photo that seems to be missing is the "money shot" photo... the front on full face head tilt shot... I'm sure you know the one... *grin*

Can you mabe stick a pretty blue ribbon on the side of his head (top, near the ear for the jaunty look), and then get him to give you the head tilt while you photograph him?

The above has worked wonders for a few of our bull breed crosses... lol!

T.

He's a bit gorgeous! I really like your opening line and have no idea why such an appealing dog hasn't got any interest, but you just have to keep trying.

I had a dog in care for nearly two years. In all that time he only had two enquiries and the second time was the charm. He was big, plain and a bit thick, which worked out well for him in the end. :-)

Your profile is excellent - engaging and informative - but perhaps because Bandit isn't immediately appealing, people are glossing over the profile - people often don't even read the whole thing. The photos are lovely too and really show his personality as tdierkix said, the picture that gets them is the one looking straight into the camera, big grin and head tilt.

So maybe it's time to try something a bit less informative - keep all the good stuff, but make that first couple of sentences really intriguing. I noticed about Pet Rescue the other day that its like a dating site - you get a photo and a line or so to sell yourself. If those aren't immediately appealing then people will probably just go on to the next, prettier dog.

So maybe try something a bit silly and intriguing. "Do you believe in fairies and unicorns? I do, and I believe there is a home out there for me". Or, "I know you think I"m just a plain brindle dog, but inside I'm like a rainbow if only people could see it." "I'm like the frog in the fairy tale, kiss me and I turn into a handsome prince". And then go on to explain why he's such a great dog.

Sooner or later something will work.

This is the music video I was asked to make for a dog named Blossom, a large brindle crossbreed who was in care with her foster carer for 6-8 months

She was adopted about a week after the video. Sorry it's a bit crap but it was one of my earlier efforts. :o That being said, that was in the days when petrescue let you upload videos and not just link to them so profiles with a video had a movie icon next to them which meant you could get more attention ... But the videos still help hugely and a lot of the people who adopt my doggies say that they like them. Some of the other videos are here. The ones for my own fosters are usually longer and more detailed. I also put video up of their obedience - all commands and tricks they know because that always interests people, too. Being able to 'see' what the dog is like and can do seems to be quite persuasive.

Earlier this year, I was fostering two puppies and the more 'classic' looking dog (black and white BC-esque) received WAY more hits on PR whereas her equally wonderful sister Smudge, got way less. Here's

. She eventually found a wonderful home (with a DOLer actually :) but there was a while when there was no interest in her because she was a Black Dog :p

I used to write fairly long profiles, too - thinking that people wanted to know as much as possible about a dog. I've learned that the deters a lot of people so these days I keep the profile itself quite short but I have a link to my foster dog blog. I find that people who are genuinely interested in a dog WILL want to read everything and monitor the blog quite closely for photos/videos/updates but it means that the profile itself doesn't have large tracts of text which some people find daunting :p

We've had a few dogs who have been in care for AGES who have finally found their perfect forever homes and it's amazing to see. I often feel like they were just waiting for just the right home to come along.

Edited by koalathebear

Here is a poster I did for Zipp.. I changed her name to Zippy as it was cuter.

Edited to add the poster

9826360534_055d1deb80.jpg

Zipp 20.9.13 by jamoore photos, on Flickr

I think Bandi, is a nicer name than Bandit - so maybe just keep calling him that and change it on the listings.

I chose the pics that I wanted to give the best impression of Zippy, so her chilling with another dog, her award for beginners obedience and just chilled out, looking as cute as possible..

Pictures speak a thousand words - then you can narrow down the feedback and deal more with issues when people actually enquire about him.

Your photos are great but there was one that seemed to stand out to me. The kids with him are both in red and they stand out heaps - it also looks like the little boy on the right is leaning away from him. It is subtle but it sort of looks staged, like he didn't really want to do the photo with the dog.. I am probably wrong but it is just what I noticed about that photo.

I also did this in a PDF and sent it to my friends who work in the public service (they printed it and put it on their notice boards). I got everyone I know on facebook to share it every couple of days (and ask their friends to share it). I printed and posted the PDF at all the vets in town as well..

Good luck with him, he looks like a great guy.

Edited by Staffyluv

I'd give a few things a go, the blurb is quite long. He's a handsome boy but then I like the brindle look. I'd try and get one main pic where he's standing and looking right at the camera.

Then I'd have a pic with a smaller dog as you say he's living with them and perhaps one with the kids. I like the one where he's shaking paws as it indicates he's well trained.

For the photo, I'd try putting some props around (and on him - some sort of hat or something? - tinsel as Christmas is coming? you can say i know it's early but ...)

I'd rebrand him with a different name but you can still call him Bandit at home.

You could go with something similar like Mandrake or Banjo even but also something entirely different.

At Iggy Rescue we advertised a dog called "Sebastian" - I thought no one would really like the name but we've had a huge response of people that love the name!

What people like to know about a dog I've found, is the following:

1 are they good with other dogs/kids/cats?

2 are they trained (ie sit, stay, come when called, walk well on the lead)

3 are they good in the car

4 housetrained

5 do they play ball or with toys?

I try and make sure I cover that in a couple of paras. Then I go on to the other stuff - if they are happy with the initial part they will keep on reading hopefully.

*Listed him on a bunch of buy/sell/swap sites.

*Contacted Mina from Big Dog Rescue again.

*Changed his listing name to 'Bandi''.

*Organised for new photos to be taken on Saturday, where the photographer will be bringing a bunch of props.

*Redid his PetRescue profile to include a brief bio in the middle. (Still same content, but a brief summary appears need the start.) : http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/233368

*Made up a flyer that I'll distribute soon.

*Changed his breed listing to kelpie x mastiff (what he was surrendered as).

I am investigating making a video, but I don't really have the experience in making videos, nor much interest, nor much patience for the job. And I'd have to get a lot more photos/videos. Basically, it's a time intensive process.

I'm sure that you are going to be successful, why not run the profile past normal dog owners and ask them what they get from it? Might give you some more useful feedback from the sort of person that would be browsing. Does the breed mix put them off? I know that in Sydney, Kelpie x isn't always popular.

I've found homes for some of my dogs by chance meetings at different places, you just never know.

I think a really good photo makes all the difference so looking forward to seeing what comes of the photographer's visit.

What about doing some training with him, so he's not boisterous in so many situations?

You can do as many cute photos as you want, but I doubt it's his appearance during people off, it's his behaviour and personality and lack of training. People will see the word boisterous boisterous boisterous 20 times, or how "enthusiastic" he is on walks and close the window and find one who isn't.

What about doing some training with him, so he's not boisterous in so many situations?

You can do as many cute photos as you want, but I doubt it's his appearance during people off, it's his behaviour and personality and lack of training. People will see the word boisterous boisterous boisterous 20 times, or how "enthusiastic" he is on walks and close the window and find one who isn't.

I agree with this. I rescued a small dog in June most likely from a puppy farm - he's got many issues but pulling like a steam train on the lead is one of them. Until I can get him to dog training (which is a challenge in itself due to distance to travel and the fact that he can't go far at all without vomiting up last night's dinner ...), I don't feel I can rehome him. I have told everyone that he's at least a 6 month prospect (it's been 6 months) due to all his issues.

Much worse with a larger dog, people can get pulled over or put their back out. Maybe contact some local dog trainers and see if anyone would be willing to help a rescue dog without any charge or minimum charge? Or local dog training clubs - there could be someone willing to take him to training and work with him?

The profile said that Bandit was 'obnoxious with other dogs'. Someone on Facebook said that that the word 'obnoxious' was off putting, so I changed it to 'boisterous'. Now on here people are saying 'you said boisterous too much'.

On here, someone suggested, 'why don't you list him as a breed as crossbreed is off putting?', then in the next post, 'the term kelpie x is offputting'.

I know everyone is just putting in their 2 cents, but I feel like I just can't win. I'm always doing something wrong by someone, and I must be constantly making the wrong choices because he is still in care.

I actually find it very rude that you are suggesting that I 'do some training with him', as though he's been left to sit and rot in my backyard. I have done a lot of training with him, and he is 100 times better than when he came into care. I don't know if you watched the video, but you can clearly see that I've done 'some training'.

When this dog arrived, he drooled and paced in the car the whole ride home. When I first met him, he jumped at me with such force that he left huge bleeding welts down both of my arms. I couldn't walk him within 100m of a dog without him losing his shit.

He has come a long way. He goes to sleep in the car after about 10 minutes of window-watching. I can't remember the last time he left a mark on me jumping up - nor the last time he jumped up at me. I can now run him with my own dogs, and his critical distance is now only a few metres.

Yes, but obviously, I need to 'do some training'.

Everyone will have different opinions because different things have worked with different dogs in different situations.

Sooner or later something will work, but some dogs just take the time they take - what happens though is when that home arrives, it's the right one.

Not sure if it's been suggested but PetRescue will put him on their FB page.

It's a pity there's been no newspaper ads this year, that's always helped my long termers find awesome homes. I don't understand why some dogs get looked over when you know they are so lovely and would be perfect for someone.