Fleas!

Daisys Mum

Tonight I found a flea on Lacey :/ I checked both dogs and only found one flea and flea dirt on Lacey, tomorrow I will go and get something to treat them. Last week I both gave them their monthly Interceptor chew so would it be too much if I gave them Advocate as well? Or should I just get something to treat the fleas?

My dogs have never had fleas before so I have never treated them for fleas .

Interceptor doesn't cover fleas so should be fine. I've only once found flea dirt (but no fleas :shrug: ) so I just washed them with a flea shampoo and hot washed bedding and it seemed to get rid of it.

Edited by moosepup

Marg the flea shampoos are pretty useless. They only knock down the fleas on the dog at that time I have found. Comfortis is terrific for fleas. Knocks down existing adults and breaks the cycle. I think we're in for a bad flea summer. Fleas aren't a problem where I live now but I found a few fleas on one of my cats the other day so I guess this summer will be different due to it being anticipated to be our hottest summer ever.

We get them here (depending on the seasons and weather) because of where we live (being coastal and sandy) .. I use Revolution on Miah .. its for heartworm as well.. and inbetween i will use a very gentle natural type flea shampoo.

I have been known to give ours in the past Capstar tablets when fleas have been really rampant.

I did try J and R on Comfortis, which did a great job (better than any other treatments i had used) but i now have reservations about it using anymore as i think in our case it wasn't a safe choice for them to be on..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I ended up getting Advantage :) so they have been treated and everything washed... Had another check today but found no more fleas but found flea dirt :confused: so there must be more somewhere, but hopefully now the little suckers will die and get no more fleas!

I have found Comfortis is the best there is. Make sure the dog has something to eat when you give the tablet.

Known side effect is vomiting. Especially if given with no food.

Capstar is also good for killing fleas within the first 24 hours.

No matter what product you do use. You also have to treat the environment. Flea bomb, wash bedding, treat outside areas etc. The eggs can lay dormant for ages in floor board and carpet and hatch when ideal conditions happen.

I ended up getting Advantage :) so they have been treated and everything washed... Had another check today but found no more fleas but found flea dirt :confused: so there must be more somewhere, but hopefully now the little suckers will die and get no more fleas!

I recommend not using the spot on treatments either 48 hours before or after a bath as they rely on the natural oils in the coats to work.

Capstar will help but only for 24 hours.

If you have mats you could sprinkle flea powder on them. If you have cats around, then fleas are hard to control no matter what you do.