Sercuring Dog In Car

keasarge

90 members have voted

1. 1. how do you sercure your dog(s) in the car?

• seatbealt attachment
    • crate
    • dont sercure
    • other

a friend asked me to take their dog to our local beach since I was taking my two anyway I said sure I have a spare seatbelt that should fit him and they said oh we never worry about those thing :0

never mind his a big dog (28kilos) and I have other dogs in the car what if he cause an accident? what if I had an accident and he went through the window??? plus its illegal to travel with an unsercured dog

anyway it made me wonder how other dolers sercured their dogs in the car?

my pup church is in the crate and our old boy is seatbelt attachment with harness.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend asked me to take their dog to our local beach since I was taking my two anyway I said sure I have a spare seatbelt that should fit him and they said oh we never worry about those thing :0

never mind his a big dog (28kilos) and I have other dogs in the car what if he cause an accident? what if I had an accident and he went through the window??? plus its illegal to travel with an unsercured dog

anyway it made me wonder how other dolers sercured their dogs in the car?

my pup church is in the crate and our old boy is seatbelt attachment with harness.

Dangerous, but not illegal.

Mine are harnessed in with seatbelt attachments.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dog-news/dog-health/dog-safety-in-cars actually it is against the law

The ACT

Dogs are required to be restrained on the back of a moving vehicle under the Animal Welfare Act 1992, said Lee-Anne Wahren, Policy Officer within Environment Planning and Legislation, who is responsible for reviewing all animal welfare policy in the ACT Government.

Victoria

The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 requires dogs to be restrained on moving vehicles, said Dr Stephen Tate, Director of Bureau of Animal Welfare within the Vic Department of Primary Industries. The maximum fine for breaching the law is $500

Queensland

Having an unrestrained dog on a moving vehicle could breach both the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Road Rules) Regulation 1999 and the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

The Transport Operations Regulation, administered by the Department of Transport, states it is an offence to have an unsecured load on the back of a vehicle and that applies to dogs, said Dr Rick Symons, Manager of the Animal Welfare Unit within the Qld Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

The Animal Care and Protection Act does not specifically mention dogs restrained on vehicles, but it places a duty of care on owners of animals to ensure the welfare needs of animals are met.

“It is an offence under the Act for a person in charge of an animal to breach this duty of care by transporting the animal in a way that is inappropriate for the animal’s welfare,” he said.

A breach of duty of care can result in a fine of $22,500 (and up to five times this amount for a corporation) or one year’s imprisonment.

Northern Territory

The Animal Welfare Act 1999 states, “A person transporting an animal must do so in a manner that does not unreasonably or unnecessarily inflict suffering on the animal.”

Peter Brice, the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee Executive Officer for NT, said the Act replaced the old Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and is primarily enforced by the RSPCA. Breaking the law will incur an on-the-spot fine of $100.

NSW

The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 requires a dog to be restrained on the back of a moving vehicle or enclosed in such a way as to prevent the dog falling from the vehicle.

The maximum penalty is $5500 or six months in jail, according to Dr Ian Lugton, Senior Veterinary Officer within the Animal Welfare Unit of the NSW Department of Primary Industries. Dr Lugton said by March he expects officers to have authorisation to track down offenders involved in motor vehicle offences by following up on the vehicle’s registration details.

South Australia

Transporting unrestrained dogs is against the law as provided in the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995. The Act was amended in 2004 to include the legislation

Tasmania

The Dog Control Act 2000 states, “The owner or person in charge of a dog must restrict the dog sufficiently while it is in or on a vehicle so that it is unable to leave the vehicle or attack any person or animal outside the vehicle.”

RSPCA Tasmania Chief Inspector Graeme Lewis said only police officers could enforce the law. Breaking the law has a maximum fine of $500.

Guest hankodie

I also use car seatbelts for my 2 and they sit in the backseat. Though Hank is getting pretty big for my little golf so I might have to fold the seats down soon.

This post reminded me of my neighbour who is absolutely shocking with her dog in the car, she doesn't secure it at all and it's an absolute nightmare from the moment it hops in. I went with them in the car once to the beach, the dog was so excited to be getting out and about she climbed all over everyone (including the driver) and was crying and wailing and pawing at everything. Not to mention she was 20+ kilos. It was absolutely terrifying, an accident waiting to happen IMO...

Yes, ON the back of a moving vehicle (ie: tray of ute), not IN the vehicle. Note the sydney morning herald is not a legal document, I suggest you refer to something like

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rr2008104/s297.html

or

https://www.lawsociety.com.au/cs/groups/public/documents/internetyounglawyers/420246.pdf

if you want to quote laws regarding dogs in cars ;)

And I'm referring to NSW when I say it's not illegal, it may very by state.

Edited by minimax

Guest donatella

We have a chair so they can see with straps that secure the harness to the seatbelt. Also are in the backseat in case of accident:

a4u6epy4.jpg

agezepad.jpg

its not just on utes though I know someone who received a fine dog was in a sedan family car on back seat calmly looking out window, she was pulled over for rbt and they fined her for not securing her dog

It's still not illegal.

its not just on utes though I know someone who received a fine dog was in a sedan family car on back seat calmly looking out window, she was pulled over for rbt and they fined her for not securing her dog

It's still not illegal.

Yep. The fine is for a dog interfering with the driver - so if the dog is jumping all over the driver, sitting on their lap or the cop spots you turning around to do something with the dog then you could get a fine. You can't be fined if the dog is sitting calmly on the back seat and you aren't doing anything with it while driving.

Only found out this year that we can get fines for unrestrained dogs here in SA.

Awful IMO & another revenue raiser.

Yes the police should have & do have the right to pull people over if they have dogs in the car that are being idiots or making the driver a danger to others. Unrestrained dogs on the back of open utes as an example but my dogs are all trained to sit & behave on the back seat. They love looking out of the window with it open a tiny bit at the top & there are never more than 2 dogs at one time. Going for a ride was a pleasure.

Now they are stuck in a crate feeling trapped.

Harnessing or seatbelt type thing I would not trust as if they wriggle or get themselves in an awkward position with it driving on my own that may be a bigger risk to them than having them loose.

As dogs being flung through windscreens, injured in accidents or causing crashes is a very minor percent of road problems & for years dogs did survive & were car trained its just more money for little crime & people not training their dogs & being idiots.

Penalties of $5000 to $22500 as quoted by keasarge above are ridiculous. Drunk drivers who injure people don't get fined that much.

I know a few people who have always secured their dogs via either crate or harness and the dog has escaped the restraint while the person was driving...but because the dog has ALWAYS been restrained it has no clue how to behave when unrestrained and starts bouncing all over, jumping in the drivers lap, and jumping in the drivers face. that sounds a whole heck of a lot more dangerous then just training your dog to sit in the back lol

even Gem and Gyp who I crate are actually great travelers, they just get crazy when you first get in the vehicle, the crate is an "annoying prevention" more then a safety thing lol