Sercuring Dog In Car

keasarge

90 members have voted

1. 1. how do you sercure your dog(s) in the car?

• seatbealt attachment
    • crate
    • dont sercure
    • other

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh here we go again with a thread on it being illegal.

Here is the law:

- there is no road rule - in either the national road rules or the State specific adoption of them - that states dogs must be restrained in cars.

- Rule 297 (its this number in most States) says it is illegal to have a dog on your lap if you're the driver.

- The same rule says that a driver must have effective control of a vehicle at all times and must have a clear view of the road behind you.

- Accordingly, the police can pull you over and ticket you if you have an unrestrained dog that is interfering with your control I.e. distracting you.

- If you dog was lying on the seat then you would have good grounds to challenge the ticket.

- It is illegal to have a dog unrestrained on the back of a ute.

Edited by Danois

Here is the law:

- there is no road rule - in either the national road rules or the State specific adoption of them - that states dogs must be restrained in cars.

- Rule 297 (its this number in most States) says it is illegal to have a dog on your lap if you're the driver.

- The same rule says that a driver must have effective control of a vehicle at all times and must have a clear view of the road behind you.

- Accordingly, the police can pull you over and ticket you if you have an unrestrained dog that is interfering with your control I.e. distracting you.

- If you dog was lying on the seat then you would have good grounds to challenge the ticket.

I knew you'd be along with specifics, thank you!

Maybe now the OP will believe it.

Edited by minimax

Here is the law:

Except I made a typo on the section number!

Here is the law:

Except I made a typo on the section number!

Edited in my quote, because even brilliant people make typos sometimes ;)

I voted "crate", because that is what I normally use for cats and small and medium dogs and the cargo barrier makes the back of my large wagon a "crate", although they are also tethered to the barrier if they are not yet trained to stay put once the tailgate is raised.

On short trips I may also use harnesses and seatbelt tethers.

On very short trips, if they are my own fully trained dogs, then they are unrestrained physically but sit or lie down where they are placed. I will always restrain fosters and "unknowns' that I am just transporting.

Now I have my IMax I have a large crate in the boot area and they all go in there. It is great for going to dog club, I can leave the back up but they are out of the sun/wind. It also means should I have an accident they don't go flying through the car and hit my kids or myself.

Travel crate to begin with then as soon as he fitted into harness without slipping out he was in that with a seatbelt attachment. He now travels very calmly and sleeps for most trips over 5mins.

Now that he is bigger, when wet and dirty he gets harnessed in the hatch back and attached to these D-ring type things on the floor.

Just because this is the cutest picture...

1044405_10151554535695787_1795674068_n.jpg

My dogs are in the boot (hatchback - I took the parcel thing off so there's enough room for 4 of them back there). Unrestrained, usually, because there's no way to restrain them back there at all. They can't get into the backseat either. In my mum's 4wd I use the crate because it fits.

Travel crate to begin with then as soon as he fitted into harness without slipping out he was in that with a seatbelt attachment. He now travels very calmly and sleeps for most trips over 5mins.

Now that he is bigger, when wet and dirty he gets harnessed in the hatch back and attached to these D-ring type things on the floor.

Just because this is the cutest picture...

1044405_10151554535695787_1795674068_n.jpg

That harness used to be loose on him? :eek:

How was he ever that little? :love:

I use harnesses and the short leads that clip into the seatbelt latch.

I always through it was law that they had to be restrained in the vehicle, but after much searching it appears that it is correct that there is no specific law here in Qld at least.

I'm obviously not as smart as some others here on the forum cos I got hopelessly muddled when trying to search through the actual law directories :laugh: ... resorted back to google and found the info below posted in another forum which clarified the issue for me. Information from the Qld Department of Transport which pretty much expands on what Danois posted :) .

Thank you for using the Department of Transport and Main Roads’ online enquiry form on 23 September 2013 about dogs travelling in the back seat of a car.

The Queensland Road Rules (QRR) do not specifically require an animal to be restrained while travelling inside a vehicle. In other words, carrying an unrestrained dog inside a vehicle is not an offence.

However, section 297 of the QRR provides that a driver must not drive a vehicle unless they have proper control of the vehicle, and also that a vehicle must not be driven if an animal is in the driver’s lap. An offence under this section carries a fine of $256 and a maximum court penalty of $2,200.

While there is no legal requirement to restrain a dog that is travelling inside a vehicle, the Department of Transport and Main Roads recommends that all animals should be restrained in some way to ensure the safety and welfare of all occupants of the vehicle and of the animal itself.

Restraints for dogs are widely available and include restraints that either attach to existing seatbelts or have buckles that clip directly into a seatbelt for when a dog is being transported in the passenger area of a vehicle. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) advises people who travel with dogs in cars to use harnesses to keep the dog and other passengers safe.

For your information, if a dog is carried in the tray of a ute or in a trailer then the animal is classed as a load and must be restrained safely either with a chain or inside a cage.

You may also be interested to know of the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 which is administered by the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). Section 18 of this Act makes it an offence to transport an animal in a way that is inappropriate for the animal’s welfare, or in an unsuitable container or vehicle. If you require further information on this provision, you may wish to contact DAFF.

Edited by Lasareina